Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another day....another met office weather warning. This time for the NE/Yorkshire....with 50-70mm possible in the next day, which is what the SW/Wales has just been subjected too.

Just wonderful. How great to have this variety back in the weather.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

Can see this happening all summer, we don't get changeable weather anymore, we get a pattern change that lasts for months at a time. We got unlucky with winter, lucky with spring and now looks like we will get the very worst outcome for the duration of summer. I keep hearing oh it's only transient, but we have already sleepwalked through 9 days of this and of GFS and ECM get their way it will easily be another 2 weeks. Almost an entire month written off already.

Yes, this has 1980 written all over it. Looks like a poor summer already.

Posted
1 hour ago, Leo97t said:

Yeah it hasn't actually been that wet at all but everyday has been damp and grey and depressing. May still go down as a below average rainfall month though in the SE

Will be below average for sunshine now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very cloudy and wet so far, this month here in Prague with suppressed temperatures. Feeling a little warmer today but still mainly overcast. Tomorrow should be better and by Saturday could reach 28°C. Plenty of thundery days in the forecast for the next 9 days, which I’m looking forward to, as long as it’s warm and there is sunshine in between the storms

image.jpg

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

For me the key component for summer is sunshine. I'm not one for cloudy holding patterns. It actually sounds like I've done pretty well here in June with maximum sunshine on the 1st and 2nd, and nearly again on Monday and Tuesday this week, with a largely sunny day last Sunday too. If we'd had a typical May, it'd have felt summery enough here at least, if we forget about Saturday just gone.

Not liking the troughy outlook though which does spell a lot of cloud even when there aren't showers around. I'm looking for positives, and it seems that the temperatures won't be too bad considering.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I think June will end up cloudier than average here, somewhere around 180 hours at a guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, Leo97t said:

Yeah it hasn't actually been that wet at all but everyday has been damp and grey and depressing. May still go down as a below average rainfall month though in the SE

This is what is annoying for me. I could do with a good dose of rain for my allotment, but instead we get this change in the weather (expected at some point), that brings cloudy, cool and unsettled weather, but the rainfall amounts have been pitiful. It just evaporates within an hour of falling. If we are going to get November weather, might as well have November rain as well, but this cuirrent can't-be-bothered-to-drop-more-than-half-a-millimeter-at-a-time weather, and me having to manually cart around 100 litres of water to keep my crops alive is just another UK Swearing AGAIN-take, on top of some of the best Spring weather in living memory in a virtually unheard of period when no-one is allowed to make the most of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

It's nice to wake up in the morning in summer and have the weather remind me I'm living in England rather than making me think I'm living on an island in the Mediterranean.

More of this please!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sir Mim said:

It's nice to wake up in the morning in summer and have the weather remind me I'm living in England rather than making me think I'm living on an island in the Mediterranean.

More of this please!

Lol, April and May 2020 wasn’t anything close to a Mediterranean climate. It was just a nice sunny spring.

Some people love to over exaggerate.

The UK weather doesn’t even come close to the dry arid conditions in Spain(which I also enjoy). Some summers just produce drier conditions. Nothing more, nothing less. 

The rain always comes back again, and this week is a perfect example of that.

Looking forward to the weekend warm up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Ok getting officially annoyed now!  its this time of year where weather forecasters fail to mention the cold winds and the temperature 5/6 c below average. They just refer to it has "cool" Its been freezing today.. Why not say that??

Its not like people will be able to go abroad this summer. So your not protecting the UK economy.

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

I think June will end up cloudier than average here, somewhere around 180 hours at a guess.

Well Heathrow as of yesterday on 46.5 hours it started so great but now it’s gone pear shaped. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Ok getting officially annoyed now!  its this time of year where weather forecasters fail to mention the cold winds and the temperature 5/6 c below average. They just refer to it has "cool" Its been freezing today.. Why not say that??

Its not like people will be able to go abroad this summer. So your not protecting the UK economy.

Also annoying to think what weather this would be bringing in winter. Relative to the average, it'd be between 0C and 1C here at the moment with snow falling. Grrr...

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol, April and May 2020 wasn’t anything close to a Mediterranean climate. It was just a nice sunny spring.

The UK weather doesn’t even come close to the dry arid conditions in Spain(which I also enjoy). Some summers just produce drier conditions. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Maybe not in terms of temperatures but sense you’re doing an injustice, it was extremely sunny the May was sunnier than average May in Southern California. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Sir Mim said:

More of this please!

You do realise it gets warm in England in the summer? So warm weather should also remind you that you live in England!

In fact there isn’t really anywhere better you could live for hating summer. Even Verkhoyansk is 25-30c this week. Toronto mid to high twenties. Oslo high twenties. Pretty much everywhere has this ‘Mediterranean’ weather apart from the good old UK.

Posted

6 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Another day....another met office weather warning. This time for the NE/Yorkshire....with 50-70mm possible in the next day, which is what the SW/Wales has just been subjected too.

Just wonderful. How great to have this variety back in the weather.

Yes it gave the gardens and fields a good soaking which is just what many farmers and growers wanted after how dry it's been. Not a single flood alert is in place, and it came mostly overnight.. bonus!

That NE/Yorkshire warning is just the 2nd yellow warning for rain the country has seen in a very long time too.

Anyway I'd prefer rain that falls in fewer, heavier falls than is spread out in a load of dull drizzly days.

6 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Can see this happening all summer, we don't get changeable weather anymore, we get a pattern change that lasts for months at a time. We got unlucky with winter, lucky with spring and now looks like we will get the very worst outcome for the duration of summer. I keep hearing oh it's only transient, but we have already sleepwalked through 9 days of this and of GFS and ECM get their way it will easily be another 2 weeks. Almost an entire month written off already.

It could do.. but I don't feel like being all depressive about that risk every summer when an unsettled spell or charts inevitably appear at some point.. 

Based the moaning seen as soon as unsettled charts appeared this year, I think some may have written off 1995 and 1976, when these charts appeared, had computer models and Netweather existed back then :oldrolleyes: 
NOAA_1_1995060812_1.pngNOAA_1_1995061712_1.png
NOAA_1_1976062000_1.pngNOAA_1_1976071400_1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit of perspective and positivity wouldn't go amiss on this forum at times!!

Maybe it's what else is happening in the world.. I thought it might have given a bit of perspective but if anything it seems to have done the opposite. 

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
39 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

They didn’t say ‘freezing’ because it isn’t, Maybe cool where you are but I’ve scrapped 20c so I’m happy with that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

One thing I don't understand is the people who hate this type of weather in winter but LOVE exactly the same thing in summer. Make your minds up. I like the weather I like - any time of year. 99% of the time it isn't what England gets, though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I spent one birthday in Spain. Wonderful experience, just to have a birthday where I could sit outside at 9PM with my evening meal and not shiver half to death. It wasn't too hot by day either, just wonderful. Birthdays in northern England invariably involve heavy slate grey overcast, drizzle, and temps in the mid teens. My birthday's in late August FWIW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

One thing I don't understand is the people who hate this type of weather in winter but LOVE exactly the same thing in summer. Make your minds up. I like the weather I like - any time of year. 99% of the time it isn't what England gets, though.

This is crap weather, all 12 months, think only knocker from model thread likes 12 degrees and rain every day

Posted
13 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Shhhh. It’s because they’re here to bait people. It’s the only logical explanation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
39 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Shhhh. It’s because they’re here to bait people. It’s the only logical explanation.

its a moaning thread the clue is in the title

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Azazel said:

And they live in a fridge all year round. 12c is a heatwave to them lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
4 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Based the moaning seen as soon as unsettled charts appeared this year, I think some may have written off 1995 and 1976, when these charts appeared, had computer models and Netweather existed back then :oldrolleyes: 

This is the summer 1995 chart that I wheel out in this kind of situation:

image.thumb.png.e9942adc63f1abee67fc703e82ed8c0f.png

Greenland High, jet stream seemingly straight across the UK... and yet all we got was a few days of sunshine and showers and near to slightly above average temperatures followed by the re-establishment of a Euro high/Atlantic trough setup bringing frequent southerly winds.

I got my first thunderstorm of the year in Exeter today, but hoping that the upcoming slack/cyclonic spell sees some reduction in the overall cloud cover.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

And they live in a fridge all year round. 12c is a heatwave to them lol.

It’s these kind of comments that cause the ‘hot vs cold weather’ bickering to start, It’s only going to cause a retaliation...