Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Where is all this rain we were supposed to be having? As both a weather enthusiast and a gardener, I was looking forward to experiencing the beauty of rain as well as all the plants in my garden getting a well deserved soaking by mother nature. But it looks as if I have to water the plants myself again.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

People were getting their knickers in a twist about nothing. We weren’t even remotely close to a drought after the soaking wet autumn and winter....and ‘summer’ has arrived with its cloud and rain right on cue anyway.

Well, no, not really: a drought relates to the amount of water in soil (and thus available to crops); it has nothing to do with whether the local carwash/golf course is still operating, as per usual...?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well, no, not really: a drought relates to the amount of water in soil (and thus available to crops); it has nothing to do with whether the local carwash/golf course is still operating, as per usual...?

Yep, soil moisture deficit here is 75 mm 9east coast Ireland, annual rainfall about 780 mm. So that is the amount of rain needed to get the soil back to normal saturation, i.e. not run off, but the amount that fills it's capacity to hold water against gravity. 75 mm is very parched indeed and crops are struggling.  As for England I found this, interesting read if you are interested in facts https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/890323/Rainfall_and_river_flow_summary_27_May_to_2_June_2020.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another lovely October’s day out there. 8/8 cloud cover, 13c and pouring with rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
28 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Another lovely October’s day out there. 8/8 cloud cover, 13c and pouring with rain. 

A day like that wouldn't even be out of place during January in the south-west.

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Where is all this rain we were supposed to be having? As both a weather enthusiast and a gardener, I was looking forward to experiencing the beauty of rain as well as all the plants in my garden getting a well deserved soaking by mother nature. But it looks as if I have to water the plants myself again.

It’s been raining on and off here in London most of the day. 

We need the sun back if anything.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't want too many days like Saturday (max 12.9C), or today as it's been totally cloudy so far, but other days recently have been nearer average. 

6.5mm this month so far here, 13mm in May, 56mm since the middle of March, so it's quite dry here.

Not an issue for water supplies, or deep-routed plants but dry for gardens, grass, some crops. So it depends whether that affects you.

Cornwall looks like getting a good soaking tonight.. up to 3 inches possible. Some models keep most rain west of me but the radar looks like I will shortly get wet.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

December 2015 vibes lol.

Its a cold raw summers day, currently just 12C after a 'high' of about 14C a couple of hours ago. Utterly miserable! Almost 8C below average currently. 

Sunshine totals also starting to suffer, just over 60hrs month to date so just below average but skewed somewhat by the 30hrs in the first two days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

It's another chilly June day out there with rain for most of the day here. I've put the heating on again. ☔

It'll probably be 40°C in a few weeks just to balance out the weather. Well, I hope so.. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

It's another chilly June day out there with rain for most of the day here. I've put the heating on again. ☔

It'll probably be 40°C in a few weeks just to balance out the weather. Well, I hope so.. 

Yeah, had the heating on low for an hour or so, apart from yesterday, as it felt warmer and a bit humid, but today it’s turned colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, had the heating on low for an hour or so, apart from yesterday, as it felt warmer and a bit humid, but today it’s turned colder.

i find this strange..i lived in London 2008-10 and again 2014-16 not once even during winter did i turn on the heating let alone in the summer

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i find this strange..i lived in London 2008-10 and again 2014-16 not once even during winter did i turn on the heating let alone in the summer

I had the heating on quite a lot in those years, but not beyond mid May. May 2010 was chilly, but by June the weather was hot. Are you referring to the summers or winter periods?

Theres been a few times I’ve needed heating on in June. It happened at the start of June 2013, 2016 and possibly one day in 2017, and 1991.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

This thread should be hanged to "autumn 2020 - rants and angry riots".

What an abomination of a month this is turning into. Even parts of Iceland are currently pushing 20°C while SE England is about 13°C. Yes May was nice but it was one month, after the wettest autumn on record and second wettest year on record last year. Not nearly enough to then have to deserve this excrement. It's like being forced to swim 50 lengths in a swimming pool full of turds. No sun since 2nd June either. How many sunshine hours have we actually had?? Can't have been more than about 20 all month so far. It's like this continuous low hanging claustrophibic gloom. Like the kind of sky you see in a horror movie before something awful is going to happen. One can get tired of it very fast. The UK has the worst summers of the developed world.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I had the heating on quite a lot in those years, but not being mid May. May 2010 was chilly, but by June the weather was hot. Are you referring to the summers or winter periods?

Theres been a few times I’ve needed heating on in June. It happened at the start of June 2013, and possibly 1991.

both i never turned the heating on in winter let alone summer..in fact i had left for Canada mid Jan 2010..so even during the cold spell of Feb 2009 and the early winter 09-10 no heating..plus the winters of 14-15, 15-16 were not cold..did not see one flake of snow those years

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

What an abomination of a month this is turning into. Even parts of Iceland are currently pushing 20°C while SE England is about 13°C. Yes May was nice but it was one month, after the wettest autumn on record and second wettest year on record last year. Not nearly enough to then have to deserve this excrement. It's like being forced to swim 50 lengths in a swimming pool full of turds. No sun since 2nd June either. How many sunshine hours have we actually had?? Can't have been more than about 20 all month so far. It's like this continuous low hanging claustrophibic gloom. Like the kind of sky you see in a horror movie before something awful is going to happen. One can get tired of it very fast. The UK has the worst summers of the developed world.

And yet, some people will probably still tell us that summer 2020 was nice and warm. If it’s still like this by late August, I’ll have something to say about that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

This thread should be hanged to "aumtumn 2020 - rants and angry riots".

What an abomination of a month this is turning into. Even parts of Iceland are currently pushing 20°C while SE England is about 13°C. Yes May was nice but it was one month, after the wettest autumn on record and second wettest year on record last year. Not nearly enough to then have to deserve this excrement. t's like being forced to swim 50 lengths in a swimming pool full of turds. No sun since 2nd June either. How many sushine hours have we actually had?? Can't have been more tIhan about 20 all month so far. It's like this continuous low hanging claustrophibic gloom. Like the kind of sky you see in a horror movie before something awful is going to happen. One can get tired of it very fast. The UK has the worst summers of the developed world.

I love your posts. "like being forced to swim 50 lengths in a swimming pool full of turds" ....best laughs on here thank you. And after a record breaking spring as well!

Edited by markyo

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

both i never turned the heating on in winter let alone summer..in fact i had left for Canada mid Jan 2010..so even during the cold spell of Feb 2009 and the early winter 09-10 no heating..plus the winters of 14-15, 15-16 were not cold..did not see one flake of snow those years

Maybe your one of those people who doesn’t feel the cold. I tend to be more tolerant of the hot weather, and can still wear a light jacket up to 21c or even 22c if it’s July and August. 28c and above is when I actually feel the heat is almost too hot for the city. 

I find damp cold in the uk sometimes worse than latvia or Canada cold. Damp just feels more uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
22 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Likewise, i live at over 700ft up in Pennies, hardly if ever have any heat on. Certainly not for last 2 years bar a couple of odd days for hour or so. Just not cold enough these days. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Oh, but the cold damp weather fans are loving it, because they got bored with the lovely sunny days we had for a number of weeks. 

One week of this damp cool cloud fest is enough and it’s become tedious. I’m fed up with this current weather. Bring back the sun and heat asap.

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

Likewise, i live at over 700ft up in Pennies, hardly if ever have any heat on. Certainly not for last 2 years bar a couple of odd days for hour or so. Just not cold enough these days. 

Is this a contest to see who can handle the cold? lol.

This current spell is rotten and not warm at all. It has been cold enough to turn the heating on. Not all of us can sit around in shorts and shirts without heating on until it gets to less than 7c. Anything less than 15c in winter, heating goes on, anything less than 16c in the spring or autumn and the heating is on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
24 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Same here...just put a sweater on it's not that cold, as said before houses are designed to keep heat in and it never gets that cold in the summer to have to put the heating on (vague saying). Anyway let the moaning begin from those you expect to

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

Same here...just put a sweater on it's not that cold, as said before houses are designed to keep heat in and it never gets that cold in the summer to have to put the heating on (vague saying). Anyway let the moaning begin from those you expect to

Not all houses. Blanket statements won’t cut it with me. My flat is poorly insulated and old, therefore it loses heat fast, likewise when it turns hot, the flat becomes like an oven. The latter hasn’t happened this year so far.

If you feel cold, putting on a jumper can help, but not when you are feeling cold after being outside during winter. 

• Like 1