Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
17 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

2006 was hot from the off, pretty sure we had 30C on the 12th.

I shall have to check my diary on that one.Yes overall it was warm even very warm but I was actually recounting at least a day or two that I remember.I was fairly sure it was the first day of the world cup ,the forcast was a good one but I very clearly remember the World cup weather in Germany being unseasonally hot for them with 35 deg+,players complaining about the heat and here in the pennines we were working outside and it was 11 deg,windy and drizzly,i had my coat on and was frozen and wet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I know I'm a bit late in posting this, but yesterday evening did feel rather... Well... Backendish! :blink2:
Yes I know were only in early June, and no I haven't posted this to troll anyone. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
34 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I usually start having issues with sleeping once it hits the 28c-30c daytime high for several days

Wow....several days!? There has been a few nights already i would have really struggled without aircon. But my tolerance to heat is crap to say the least. Had a very welcome proper rain event today so "diddums" will be able to sleep well tonight in the lovely fresh conditions

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Wow....several days!? There has been a few nights already i would have really struggled without aircon. But my tolerance to heat is crap to say the least. Had a very welcome proper rain event today so "diddums" will be able to sleep well tonight in the lovely fresh conditions

Yeah, we are all different. I felt warm earlier on my walk, but I was wearing a fleece, but it was only during the sunnier period. Now I’m back sitting in my flat, and I feel cold enough to close the windows and wear a jumper. It’s only 15c in west London now.

I’m not really complaining, but it could do with being a little warmer. 

I have a feeling we will get a cooler summer this year, with one or two brief hot periods last no more than 7-10 days between now and early September, with the rest of the summer being in the 19-22c on most days with unsettled spells.

Posted
52 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, we are all different. I felt warm earlier on my walk, but I was wearing a fleece, but it was only during the sunnier period. Now I’m back sitting in my flat, and I feel cold enough to close the windows and wear a jumper. It’s only 15c in west London now.

I have a feeling we will get a cooler summer this year, with one or two brief hot periods last no more than 7-10 days between now and early September, with the rest of the summer being in the 19-22c on most days with unsettled spells.

I agree,everybody is different. I really enjoyed the cooler temps but even i must admit this isn't summer weather by any means, got down to 5c recently by me,topped out at 9.5c that day...even up north thats unseasonable! This summer won't be a heat fest at all i suspect, more a normal summer, enjoy what you can!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1292216.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

BRITONS are set to bask in another heatwave as temperatures come roaring back following a slightly autumnal start to June, according to the latest weather charts.

"Long Range" or FI we like to call it.  

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 hours ago, 38.7°C said:
1292216.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

BRITONS are set to bask in another heatwave as temperatures come roaring back following a slightly autumnal start to June, according to the latest weather charts.

It's in the Express, so it MUST be true. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It's in the Express, so it MUST be true. 

It'll be snowing soon then...

• Like 2

Posted

Since it's climatologically impossible for a warm/hotter than average june this year we will have to make the best out of this "mini-heatwave"  incoming 10 days from the east, probably only namby 27-28c as warmest this june.

Posted

We could easily blame the sudden turn in the weather on the tripole in the N Atlantic as well as the rapidly forming La Nina event in the Pacific. There are other examples of summers that turn out bad when there's a very quick transition into a La Nina in the spring and early summer. This happened in 1998 when we went from Super Nino to La Nina in a short space of time then the summer ended up a cool washout. 2007 was similar in how we crashed from an El Nino into La Nina in the spring before the heavens opened.

It's not the fact we enter La Nina as such but the speed it happens and the strength of it too that can cause this sudden flip to wet weather in the summer.

Anomalies at end of April 2020

ct5km_ssta_v3.1_global_20200430.thumb.png.28f239b9154746ffa8cad1cc5d9d5a9d.png

No real obvious sign of La Nina here but the N Atlantic tripole is already forming which is good for a colder winter but bad news if you want a dry settled summer

Now fast forward to the latest anomaly chart

Anomalies on 6th June 2020

ct5km_ssta_v3.1_global_20200606.thumb.png.c1aff1949a2c53be5f0a05a5412b60e8.png

A La Nina signature has clearly become visible and is strengthening quite rapidly too. Some of the coldest spots are almost 4C below average but the overall anomaly in the La Nina area is around 1 to 1.5C below average. The tripole is even more obvious than it was before. Both of these things could spell curtains for a decent summer unless you like wet weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, 38.7°C said:
1292216.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

Daily Express, so likely the most extreme forecast they could find.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 hours ago, Faronstream said:

Since it's climatologically impossible for a warm/hotter than average june this year we will have to make the best out of this "mini-heatwave"  incoming 10 days from the east, probably only namby 27-28c as warmest this june.

With 3 weeks of June left?

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 hours ago, al78 said:

Daily Express, so likely the most extreme forecast they could find.

They probably just saw those charts without even interpreting them properly, just that the fancy red colours mean it’ll be hot. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 07/06/2020 at 11:07, Sunny76 said:

only reached a paltry 6c here yesterday wet and windy all day to boot 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
4 hours ago, matt111 said:

They probably just saw those charts without even interpreting them properly, just that the fancy red colours mean it’ll be hot. 

and 'mini heatwave' in January when temperatures hit 13C! All pretty normal on a damp south westerly 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

What looked like a deluge in the models the other day has once again petered out to a few spots of rain in Hampshire in reality. Fast heading towards a drought situation in this part of the country I'd say. I'm desperate to see some actual rain!

• Like 3

Posted
52 minutes ago, Lance M said:

What looked like a deluge in the models the other day has once again petered out to a few spots of rain in Hampshire in reality. Fast heading towards a drought situation in this part of the country I'd say. I'm desperate to see some actual rain!

We are supposed to be having storms on the weekend right? Think they will do the trick.

Posted
Just now, Leo97t said:

No one look at the BBC monthly- they seem very confident of unsettled cool weather soon

Wouldn’t worry - they were going for a flaming June a week ago. Pay no attention.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
55 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I agree all unsettled spells in summer seem to be nothing other than a few spots of drizzle and never actually any meaningful rain, if I dodge all the rain in this upcoming Spell of weather I’m moving to the outer Hebrides 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I'm glad the rain risk has been reduced for the SE. There's no real sign of drought here besides a bit of brown grass - the reservoirs and rivers are at normal levels, plants and animals are thriving. 

I'll be very happy to see the return of long sunny days as we approach the solstice. A bit of summer heat wouldn't go amiss either! ☀️

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I'm glad the rain risk has been reduced for the SE. There's no real sign of drought here besides a bit of brown grass - the reservoirs and rivers are at normal levels, plants and animals are thriving. 

I'll be very happy to see the return of long sunny days as we approach the solstice. A bit of summer heat wouldn't go amiss either! ☀️

People were getting their knickers in a twist about nothing. We weren’t even remotely close to a drought after the soaking wet autumn and winter....and ‘summer’ has arrived with its cloud and rain right on cue anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I’m just looking forward to some decent convective rainfall as a weather enthusiast, in between sunshine..

• Like 1