Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Nothing better...best nights sleep going!

Ahh diddums

It was relaxing earlier hearing the rumbling of the thunder. While I’ve always found thunder to be spooky and unsettling, while also soothing in a weird way, it brings a mixture of feelings.

I was going to head out on the bike today, but the weather wasn’t suitable. Not keen on riding in wind and rain. 

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

A bit of an exaggeration there.Yes we have had some great weather but here in the pennines anyway even though it has been nice and sunny we have had a lot of cool and even frosty weather and northerly flows certainly for April and a little in early May.Only the last 3 weeks have been really as you describe!

That’s the thing. Although April was sunny and warmish at times, there were quite a few coolish or cold days even when the sun was out. Evenings and mornings were still quite frosty at times. 

The real heat didn’t really kick in until second week of May. It’s been a good spell of weather all the same.

Posted
58 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

There have been plenty of cold Junes,particularly early in the month.2012,2011,2006,2005,2001 and 1991 to list but a few

1991, 2011 and 12 were are vile. 

1991 was a dry June, but it was probably one of the worst for dull cold weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Even down here on the south coast it only reached 13°C today which is rather pathetic for June. Didn't feel pleasant at all with the cold breeze and light rain falling this afternoon. Don't mind the variation as such but not when it feels more like late October than June. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Even down here on the south coast it only reached 13°C today which is rather pathetic for June. Didn't feel pleasant at all with the cold breeze and light rain falling this afternoon. Don't mind the variation as such but not when it feels more like late October than June. 

I'm sure this will all be forgotten come the end of summer!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Don said:

I'm sure this will all be forgotten come the end of summer!

A few days of warmth and thunderstorms and it'll be long forgotten. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

A few days of warmth and thunderstorms and it'll be long forgotten. 

Absolutely!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
9 hours ago, MATT☀️ said:

2 hours ago, hillbilly said:

There have been plenty of cold Junes,particularly early in the month.2012,2011,2006,2005,2001 and 1991 to list but a few

2006 was hot from the off, pretty sure we had 30C on the 12th.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
5 hours ago, willamalexan said:

Maybe if you're sat inside all day... but don't you want to be able to go out and do things? Sit in the park with some pals? Have people over for a barbecue? All inifnitely more pleasant in sunny warm weather.

In a word - no.

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

To be honest i find this weather far more usable than hot sunny conditions. The lack of sweating makes garden jobs etc far more enjoyable. I don't sit in the sun,never have,never will. Understand though you do though June is looking not hopeful i'm afraid, July may bring something more to your liking.

The lack of sweating makes everything easier - especially sleeping.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

The lack of sweating makes everything easier - especially sleeping.

And feeling cold when I’m walking round the park or sitting on a bench. Today wasn’t comfortable for doing outdoor activities. Hopefully it’s going back up to the 20s soon. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

And feeling cold when I’m walking round the park or sitting on a bench. Today wasn’t comfortable for doing outdoor activities. Hopefully it’s going back up to the 20s soon. 

When I went on my daily walk today I had to wear an extra layer and the rain wasn't pleasant, but it was doable.  However, it wasn't anything like as enjoyable as the last couple of months and was more of an endurance than a pleasure!  That said, one has to keep with it!

Edited by Don

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I rarely feel the cold, and even in winter on a cold day I'll happily go out without a coat on as long as it's dry.  Cold I find energising; there's nothing better for walking than a cool, brisk wind, but warm weather makes me feel sweaty and irritable. I find it impossible to sleep when it's warm too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Going around in circles again? Do we really need to be told that you find hot/cold weather unbearable nearly every day? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Looks like a big improvement in the weather is on the way.  Absolutely miserable today here, barely reaching 13°C but could be a good 10°C higher by the end of the week (although more humid than the last lot of fine weather).

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

I rarely feel the cold, and even in winter on a cold day I'll happily go out without a coat on as long as it's dry.  Cold I find energising; there's nothing better for walking than a cool, brisk wind, but warm weather makes me feel sweaty and irritable. I find it impossible to sleep when it's warm too.

Fair enough, but I’m the opposite.

I get cold when the temps are lower than 20c, but just need a light jacket. When it drops below 16c, I’m wearing winter clothing. 

I don’t feel the heat until it hits 29c or above, when it starts to become too hot. But, I still manage.

I think it’s time for the heat lovers to enjoy more sunshine and warmth. We had too much damp and cool weather in the September to mid March period.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Looks like a big improvement in the weather is on the way.  Absolutely miserable today here, barely reaching 13°C but could be a good 10°C higher by the end of the week (although more humid than the last lot of fine weather).

Yeah, the warm weather seems to become less dry and more humid as we move through June. Hopefully that means some thunderstorms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Looks like another week of below average daytime temperatures for Horsham coming up, but still little in the way of useful rain. At this rate, June is going to be cooler than May and April. Has southern England borrowed an arid climate from the southern hemisphere? I'm finding it tough growing UK veg in these conditions. I do find the cooler nights better for sleeping, which is one plus.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it’s time for the heat lovers to enjoy more sunshine and warmth. We had too much damp and cool weather in the September to mid March period.

Too much damp I agree with but too much cool? What do you expect in the UK in autumn and winter? We can't have 20C in February every year.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, al78 said:

Looks like another week of below average daytime temperatures for Horsham coming up, but still little in the way of useful rain. At this rate, June is going to be cooler than May and April. Has southern England borrowed an arid climate from the southern hemisphere? I'm finding it tough growing UK veg in these conditions. I do find the cooler nights better for sleeping, which is one plus.

It won’t be cooler than April. April didn’t really get hot, but just felt warm at times. It was sunny and warmish with cool mornings and evenings, and cold in the shade type days. 

I don’t think we’ve really had any uncomfortable nights for sleeping so far this year. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, al78 said:

Too much damp I agree with but too much cool? What do you expect in the UK in autumn and winter? We can't have 20C in February every year.

I didn’t say that lol. I’m trying to put across the fact, we endure some kind of cool damp weather in the October to March bracket. It was chilly at times, despite being a very mild winter. 

So, why do I have to justify wanting warm sunny dry weather from April to September.

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I didn’t say that lol. I’m trying to put across the fact, we endure some kind of cool damp weather in the October to March bracket. It was chilly at times, despite being a very mild winter. 

So, why do I have to justify wanting warm sunny dry weather from April to September.

Ok sorry, I thought you were having unrealistic expectations of the weather in the dark months, but you are saying that you appreciate warmth and sunshine because we have to deal with the autumn and winter grot. I certainly don't expect you to justify that, as I feel the same. Sometimes Spring feels like a tease season, when it gets to April, I hope for it to become warm enough to go outside without a jacket, but it seems to stay in the low double digits during the day for seemingly a long time, and I wonder if it is ever going to warm up. It nearly always does by the end of the month and into May. The lag in the minimun of sea temperature to the incoming solar radiation means Spring temperatures can be held back if we get a lot of polar or returning polar maritime airmasses. 1996 was a year where it seemed to take forever to warm up, it was chilly right through to at least mid May thanks to a wretched blocking Scandi high and persistent NEly winds.

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It won’t be cooler than April. April didn’t really get hot, but just felt warm at times. It was sunny and warmish with cool mornings and evenings, and cold in the shade type days. 

I don’t think we’ve really had any uncomfortable nights for sleeping so far this year. 

Maybe not for you, but it has for me, not as bad as a muggy night in high summer, but just warm enough that I struggled to sleep several times. There were some nights where it didn't drop below mid teens outside, which means my house stays at 23C most of the night, probably a bit higher in the bedroom as my central heating thermostat which shows the indoor temperature is downstairs. Opening the windows means I struggle to get to sleep because of noisy bastards.

Posted
49 minutes ago, al78 said:

Ok sorry, I thought you were having unrealistic expectations of the weather in the dark months, but you are saying that you appreciate warmth and sunshine because we have to deal with the autumn and winter grot. I certainly don't expect you to justify that, as I feel the same. Sometimes Spring feels like a tease season, when it gets to April, I hope for it to become warm enough to go outside without a jacket, but it seems to stay in the low double digits during the day for seemingly a long time, and I wonder if it is ever going to warm up. It nearly always does by the end of the month and into May. The lag in the minimun of sea temperature to the incoming solar radiation means Spring temperatures can be held back if we get a lot of polar or returning polar maritime airmasses. 1996 was a year where it seemed to take forever to warm up, it was chilly right through to at least mid May thanks to a wretched blocking Scandi high and persistent NEly winds.

That’s ok and thanks. 

I accept the cold weather at the right time of year. And yes, 1996 took a while to warm up.

1991 and 2013 seemed to have a similar problem. It took a while for the warmth to arrive in both of those years. Early summers of 1991 and 2013 were still cool or cold. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, al78 said:

Maybe not for you, but it has for me, not as bad as a muggy night in high summer, but just warm enough that I struggled to sleep several times. There were some nights where it didn't drop below mid teens outside, which means my house stays at 23C most of the night, probably a bit higher in the bedroom as my central heating thermostat which shows the indoor temperature is downstairs. Opening the windows means I struggle to get to sleep because of noisy bastards.

I would agree with that. It depends on your location, and what direction your flat/house is facing. We are north facing, so it never really warms up until we have daytime temps of plus 23c, but then becomes too warm in the room once it hits 27c plus. Sod’s law lol.

I usually start having issues with sleeping once it hits the 28c-30c daytime high for several days. The 29-30c just seems to be when it becomes not just hot, but uncomfortably so, and the nights never really cool down if you are in the city.

Edited by Sunny76