Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
10 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Perhaps La Niña is becoming more of an unknown in our ever warming climate. It’s been so warm over the last 10-20 years it must be hard to even know what sort of impacts we can expect in these unprecedented times. Just seems to be whatever the background signals are it just ends up warm nearly every time.

here La Nina if it continues to develop will signal a warm dry second half of summer dry and warm autumn and a cold dry winter..most of the time

Posted

It does feel the warm spring could be a kiss of death for a good summer. I'm going for something like 2017 as a best-case scenario. A warm June, turning horrible into July. Some good spells in the first half of the month, and after that - crud, with the hope of an Indian summer in September.

What I reckon could happen is a wet summer. 

• Like 1

Posted

I still think a 1980 type summer is going to happen. That year we had a decent April and May was fairly warm and sunny. June started off hot, then the rest of the summer was poor.

2017 is another good shout. That summer started on a good note, and the weather was mostly sunny since mid March, but by mid July, the weather deteriorated and August was poor, apart from the bank holiday. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
11 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I still think a 1980 type summer is going to happen. That year we had a decent April and May was fairly warm and sunny. June started off hot, then the rest of the summer was poor.

2017 is another good shout. That summer started on a good note, and the weather was mostly sunny since mid March, but by mid July, the weather deteriorated and August was poor, apart from the bank holiday. 

I'd take a 2017 summer over a 1980 any day. 1980 was chilly, 2017 was slightly warmer than average, though dull in July/August. I remember we had an almost 1 month spell of below average temps every day from mid-July to mid-August.

June 2017 was as warm as June 2018 in London.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Indeed, a 2017 summer wouldn't be the end of the world if we erred towards the poor side of summers. June was very decent here and that heatwave from the 17th-21st was notable! The first half of July was also largely respectable, with a few days after midmonth also nice. I did a mini break with some friends in North Devon in the final week and it was sunny all the time until the morning we left. August was not great, and felt more like September, but at least achieved a fine BH.

Of course, the marker for a classic summer for me would be a summery August! 2018 managed it in the first half but tailed off after that. The closest of recent times would be 2016, and to a certain extent, 2019.

• Like 3

Posted

Summer average highs, 1981-2010 and 1991-2019.

Jun: 21.0c / 21.5c

Jul: 23.5c / 23.9c

Aug: 23.2c / 23.3c

We need a good August more than anything, looking at those figures.

Posted
52 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed, a 2017 summer wouldn't be the end of the world if we erred towards the poor side of summers. June was very decent here and that heatwave from the 17th-21st was notable! The first half of July was also largely respectable, with a few days after midmonth also nice. I did a mini break with some friends in North Devon in the final week and it was sunny all the time until the morning we left. August was not great, and felt more like September, but at least achieved a fine BH.

Of course, the marker for a classic summer for me would be a summery August! 2018 managed it in the first half but tailed off after that. The closest of recent times would be 2016, and to a certain extent, 2019.

I thought 2018 was the closest to a decent August, after 2016, but 2013 was the only one I would class as consistently sunny and warm in the 2010s.

2019 was nice in parts, late August bank holiday, but sort of meh.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I thought 2018 was the closest to a decent August, after 2016, but 2013 was the only one I would class as consistently sunny and warm in the 2010s.

2019 was nice in parts, late August bank holiday, but sort of meh.

That should've been 2013, not 2019! In terms of sunshine and warmth/heat, both 2018 and 2019 were pretty similar here, the difference being 2018's was largely in the first half, whereas 2019 was in the first and final thirds with a poor middle third.

Indeed 2016 and 2013 saw the most consistent and spread out fine conditions across the month's entirety, at least here.

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

That should've been 2013, not 2019! In terms of sunshine and warmth/heat, both 2018 and 2019 were pretty similar here, the difference being 2018's was largely in the first half, whereas 2019 was in the first and final thirds with a poor middle third.

Indeed 2016 and 2013 saw the most consistent and spread out fine conditions across the month's entirety, at least here.

I think 2019 gets a hard time from me, because August 2018 was hot and sunny to begin with, while also following 3 warm to hot months prior to that, so the mid August cool down was kind of welcomed by many, even myself lol.

2019 just felt like a constant battle, with one or two weeks of warm to hot weather, followed by longer periods of dull days or mixed bag days. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, MP-R said:

August 2019 was warmer and sunnier than both August 2013 and August 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Warmer doesn’t necessarily mean better, if we factor in cloudy dull conditions and rainfall.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Warmer doesn’t necessarily mean better, if we factor in cloudy dull conditions and rainfall.

It was sunnier than 2013 or 2018 though, as well as being slightly drier than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, B87 said:

It was sunnier than 2013 or 2018 though, as well as being slightly drier than average.

Sunny76 is always looking for the worst in everything. August 2019 was fine - the middle third was disappointing but the first and last thirds were very good. August 2013 was okay too but much cloudier than August 2019. 

August 2019 was probably the best August of the decade here.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Anyway, on another note - given how dry this spring has been, there must be the potential for record-breaking heatwaves this summer if the dryness persists. Just like 2003 which was preceded by a dry spring.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Low soil moisture does indeed enhance potential maxima albeit we'd still need the correct synoptics (preferably more of 1990 than 15 so you need less hot uppers). 

Posted
6 hours ago, B87 said:

... in London.

Posted
On 22/05/2020 at 19:44, MP-R said:

... in London.

No, it wasn’t in London. I just remember the late August bank holiday being hot and sunny(like 2017), and some days scattered across the month being sunny and warm. We had quite a few cloudy miserable days. 

1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

No, it wasn’t in London. I just remember the late August bank holiday being hot and sunny(like 2017), and some days scattered across the month being sunny and warm. We had quite a few cloudy miserable days. 

I don't agree, August 2019 was a really great month in London relatively - you can't expect every month to be like July 2018. Given the average of 25.2C I would say it was the joint best of the decade with 2016

I've attached some data from Heathrow from the decade with statistically significant months highlighted and the 2010-19 and 1970-2019 averages highlighted in yellow. When the data is corroborated the following ranking is reached

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 11.50.22.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

In London, August 2019 was warmer and sunnier than in 2013 or 2018.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
3 hours ago, B87 said:

In London, August 2019 was warmer and sunnier than in 2013 or 2018.

Sunny76 is just stubborn and will not accept facts 

Posted

I accept what I see. It wasn’t a great month that some claim it to be. Last summer wasn’t that great. The best weather came in July. 

Maybe my change in job was partly to blame, as I started 12 hour shifts, so was either too tired or busy to pay attention like the previous months.

I recall September being sunnier, apart from the wetter periods towards the second half of the month. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I accept what I see. It wasn’t a great month that some claim it to be. Last summer wasn’t that great. The best weather came in July. 

Maybe my change in job was partly to blame, as I started 12 hour shifts, so was either too tired or busy to pay attention like the previous months.

I recall September being sunnier, apart from the wetter periods towards the second half of the month. 

August was sunnier than July (201 hrs vs 195 hrs), July was slightly warmer (25.5c vs 25.2c).

Posted

2019 will be a forgettable year, just like 2016. It just doesn’t stand out like 2018 or 2013 did. Maybe because we had snow in the latter years, and more interesting weather. 

2019 was quite a boring year. London didn’t have a decent thunderstorm either.

Posted

I didn't consider Aug 19 especially warm or sunny but it was better than the dull and humid Aug 16 (a lot like July 2010 actually). Although I disliked last summer the one redeeming factor was that it jammed it's good weather into a single 20th June-10th August period. I prefer weather types to stay rather than change week to week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

July in Sheffield saw the all time record go,by some margin. Strangely i didn't find it to uncomfortable,a very dry heat,little humidity. By far humidity is the worst type of condition to endure. A moderate Humidex is always better for a lot. So long as this summer offers low to medium humidity then in the current climate bring on the settled weather with interspersed proper rainfall(we are starting to need it), fairly sure many will want this!

Edited by markyo