Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
14 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

GFS and GEM looking very good with a light E/SE. UKMO not so much but I am a little concerned about heights around Svalbard and the prospect of the low 850s over Eastern Europe being pulled over if the easterly is too strong

Yes, I'm fed up of cool/cold easterlies too, but I don't think it'll be a problem this time round.

Going by the GFS we might get some homegrown showers on tues (fingers crossed) which will also be the warmest day next week before the easterlies get going.

image.thumb.png.44fa2976e0753b31b2ae5634513f890a.png

Edited by D.V.R
typo
  • Like 3

Posted

No point looking at temperature charts nearly a week away. Small changes to the to the orientation of the HP will make a big difference.

I don't think people are slating the UKMO 144 chart because it isn't showing what they want - It just looks suspect with the way it blows up that LP in the space of 24 hours.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Eh!? Upgrade on previous runs?

GFS 6Z

962EA52A-FCE3-479A-9C55-18A241C1A71C.thumb.png.b36c77e67bd14c1c6282597f4b530fc3.png7ED45947-A22A-497E-9A48-27B39FDC53FB.thumb.png.441234345c22f910a42946953b8a55c0.pngB49EE771-4B4C-461F-AFB4-B4E6B27C119A.thumb.png.8300a937edfa3968a36a9a82b862306c.pngE3A00029-3DE1-4C3C-BFDD-F57BC190D57D.thumb.png.c04edeb57464153a4b7846670ecd73f1.png

GFS 12Z

44D931CA-46C3-4236-8D5B-62810E8BBAB5.thumb.png.caa48a1b7fdb918642a5d81cc838c16f.png821F8F2F-4044-41DA-9EE0-213FCC2A1B86.thumb.png.333a7895e2a522ee60c4dfc2b88bdb4c.pngBCA5090A-1887-4B12-9625-01FF4A16434E.thumb.png.2f8a87329f02827bb447383837a02f92.png
9B03CCFC-929E-4C0D-8D41-6660C3755053.thumb.png.b0ecaa591c1f54e3ce8cb5a4d8c99ada.png

Cmon now mate - let’s at least try and look at the charts without being utterly biased. 

The charts above from the 12Z are still decent for sunshine/warmth but the window for hot temperatures next week seems to be shrinking by the hour at the moment. (25C +)

Okay maybe not in terms of temperature but cmon in terms of pressure especially earlier on its waaaay stronger!!yesterday we were complaining gfs was too flat

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Good old GEM. Still looking good. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I must say that that was not the most jaw-droppingly scintillating GFS 12Z I've ever seen; but, putting things into perspective -- it ain't really all that bad...Is it?:oldlaugh:

• Like 9

So in the space of a day we've gone through the motions on this spell, we've had the Atlantic barrelling though, potential record breaking warmth and now this evening a complete bore-fest, seems to be a theme across the 12z's tonight to regress high pressure north eastwards which will always cut off any warmth. If tonight's output panned out I wouldn't fancy being on the east coast but for most back into the high teens temps wise and cold nights, plenty of sun, useable weather but not very exciting (certainly better than rain though). 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

So in the space of a day we've gone through the motions on this spell, we've had the Atlantic barrelling though, potential record breaking warmth and now this evening a complete bore-fest, seems to be a theme across the 12z's tonight to regress high pressure north eastwards which will always cut off any warmth. If tonight's output panned out I wouldn't fancy being on the east coast but for most back into the high teens temps wise and cold nights, plenty of sun, useable weather but not very exciting (certainly better than rain though). 

Perhaps a bit harsh! I think low to mid 20s is possible next week, away from the east coast.

• Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.f94529401b2768ae1985c1f42e2b9bde.png

GFS ensembles have totally backed away from any big heat. Just pleasant now instead, maybe 20-25c tops. Which is fine!

• Like 8

Posted
14 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

GFS ensembles have totally backed away from any big heat. Just pleasant now instead, maybe 20-25c tops. Which is fine!

True. But they also maintain the T850 operational and mean at around 5C (15-20C or thereabouts, at the surface) throughout? Don't forget it's still only May...:oldgood:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
30 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Thing it it's May, will nearly always see the E'ly idea winning out over Atlantic air or true heat, least likely is zonality

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

True. But they also maintain the T850 operational and mean at around 5C (15-20C or thereabouts, at the surface) throughout? Don't forget it's still only May...:oldgood:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

Wouldn’t pay too much attention to those 2m temps. They are always under done. Says 17c on Tuesday there, BBC output going 21-24c in the SE. Think we all know what’s going to be right!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Mmm!!

ECM1-144.gif

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Wouldn’t pay too much attention to those 2m temps. They are always under done. Says 17c on Tuesday there, BBC output going 21-24c in the SE. Think we all know what’s going to be right!

Of course not, mb,,,You've emphasised the point I was making. What was it, again?:oldlaugh:

• Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Not really a fan of really hot weather in London, so it's ideal temps for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Plume incoming, ECM T168:

image.thumb.jpg.de2e8b2a833fac054a860eb44a4462c3.jpg

Looks like a heat pump out SW, maybe...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I would say thunderstorms incoming

warm yes but the plume doesn't really come this far north and stays in southern France south

still time for corrections though.

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Looks like a heat pump out SW, maybe...

Nope, it’s ECM’s turn to throw a wobbler tonight! 192 is a bizarre chart.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

It is indeed!  But I wouldn't put it past it to recover in the last two frames, no guarantees though...

• Like 2

Posted

ECM isn’t great either. So it could just be a 2-3 day job of warm-ish temperatures, followed by who-knows what at the moment. I think as it’s such an unusual evolution the models are really struggling. They are all so different, even run to run.

• Like 1

Posted

Some will be hoping the GFS is right tonight looking at that chart from the ECM.

image.thumb.png.1616dd03b6b7f70f9ddbda187fd74009.png

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Just like Autumn really? But unlike the Hurricane season, the North Atlantic Wobbler Season (NAWS) occurs twice each year?:oldgood:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Just like Autumn really? But unlike the Hurricane season, the the North Atlantic Wobbler Season (NAWS) occurs twice each year?:oldgood:

Is your second name tong Pete? cos that's how the ECM has gone

i hope it's just a wobble and a cool outlier later in the pack.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECM isn’t great either. So it could just be a 2-3 day job of warm-ish temperatures, followed by who-knows what at the moment. I think as it’s such an unusual evolution the models are really struggling. They are all so different, even run to run.

ECM is actually a better run up to 168, then it loses the plot. May be an outlier.

• Like 5