Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I thought the ECM looked a bit iffy towards 192-240 this morning. Probably because it’s an outlier:

image.thumb.png.bfc5a2cd417ff755a14593be8336cb7b.png

Outlook still looks pretty decent on the whole.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

I thought the ECM looked a bit iffy towards 192-240 this morning. Probably because it’s an outlier:

image.thumb.png.bfc5a2cd417ff755a14593be8336cb7b.png

Outlook still looks pretty decent on the whole.

On the topic of outliers!!ukmo looks a big outlier at just 72 hours when you compare it to ecm and gfs!!!takes the little shortwave through wales and into southern england where as the ecm and gfs take it way west near south west ireland and then slides away further south!!

Posted

ECM clusters don't have much time for the op's idea for D8-D10 (it dubiously puts it in a settled cluster though!)

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020040900_240.

Even out to D12/D13, the settled members are well in the majority. Cluster 1 may have been cold 6 weeks ago, but likely to be warm by the end of April with a continental flow, even very warm.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020040900_300.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM clusters don't have much time for the op's idea for D8-D10 (it dubiously puts it in a settled cluster though!)

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020040900_240.

Even out to D12/D13, the settled members are well in the majority. Cluster 1 may have been cold 6 weeks ago, but likely to be warm by the end of April with a continental flow, even very warm.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020040900_300.

Looks good. With AAM very high and MJO going through 7/8/1 it certainly favours blocking in our neck of the woods, and certainly doesn’t point to unsettled taking over at the moment. Payback for the terrible floods of the winter.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

GFS now toying around with splitting the polar vortex sometime in the range D11-D16. Final warming approaches - but will it be dramatic or tame?

Appears to be a quick and strong troposphere response in the 06z and 12z runs, but it could be related to the active MJO through P8 instead.

• Like 1

Posted

Ukmo corrects itself towards ecm and gfs in regards to that shortwave!takes it south and west of ireland and then further south!dunno what went wrong with it this morning to be fair!!had one of those silly moments!!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Tonight’s Euro less settled days 7-10.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

That’s a preety good ECM 0z operational if you are hoping for further unseasonable warmth!☀️

CBC656A8-79C2-4D48-9585-5F40F1CE653D.png

97FCFE1F-7FA5-4AFF-A467-9ABC070C87EB.png

4247A1C4-FCFE-4C96-9F1B-1C72367B86B7.png

3F947759-52BA-418B-BEAE-305898E50FDB.png

3C588923-ACA8-4087-82FB-49B68AF28407.png

• Like 9

Posted

ECM this morning looks even warmer than what we’re currently experiencing! GFS has lost the plot (see ensembles, miles out of line). Looks like staying warm on the whole. A little bit of light rain around, but staying dry the majority of the time.

• Like 7

Posted

I'm unable to access-EC-GFS 500 mb charts on the usual site I post in here, the page simply shows blank. Can anyone point me to another site where they are being output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
1 hour ago, JON SNOW said:

That’s a preety good ECM 0z operational if you are hoping for further unseasonable warmth!☀️

CBC656A8-79C2-4D48-9585-5F40F1CE653D.png

97FCFE1F-7FA5-4AFF-A467-9ABC070C87EB.png

4247A1C4-FCFE-4C96-9F1B-1C72367B86B7.png

3F947759-52BA-418B-BEAE-305898E50FDB.png

3C588923-ACA8-4087-82FB-49B68AF28407.png

hopefully that is the theme for now and summer,but we got to have some storms popping in and out as well 

• Like 8

Posted

What's the odds that this lovely weather continues for the two months of lock down and then as soon as we can go back outside, the heavens open?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Early next week's looking good, according to the GFS 06Z!??‍?:oldgood:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 7

Posted
36 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

What's the odds that this lovely weather continues for the two months of lock down and then as soon as we can go back outside, the heavens open?

I said that a few weeks ago when we looked set for this stunning spell! Would be absolutely Sod’s law, particularly as the settled spell began at the same time as lockdown too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GFS 06Z stays mostly settled all the way to the 26th::yahoo:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

We could already do with some rain, around here!:oldlaugh:

• Like 8

Posted
40 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I said that a few weeks ago when we looked set for this stunning spell! Would be absolutely Sod’s law, particularly as the settled spell began at the same time as lockdown too.

It’s really narking me. Booked a good chunk of annual leave over Easter and could have done so much in this amazing weather. Never mind, health has to come first!

6z is very messy. Highs and lows roaming around all over the place. I’ll stick with the ECM thanks.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

Yes, that would be just typical to have a warm, dry spring and early summer during lockdown, only for it to breakdown, leading to a prolonged unsettled spell once lockdown has been lifted!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

A cracking ECM mean I have to say, it keeps it generally dry and warm out to day 10,and perhaps beyond... Less data perhaps bringing a bit of confusement.... Nahhh not me, I'm never confused..

EDM1-120.gif

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-240.gif

EDM0-120.gif

EDM0-168.gif

EDM0-216.gif

EDM0-240.gif

F1E4CD7A-ED68-496F-9C37-A166975CEDAA.gif.b4e6f22aad13edd1c74905175d85f0e3.gif.244e76a445f1b7fe98d7c9dfe621c1c6.gif

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, johnholmes said:

I'm unable to access-EC-GFS 500 mb charts on the usual site I post in here, the page simply shows blank. Can anyone point me to another site where they are being output.

I thought the Tropical Titbits site had them but on checking apparently not

If it's of any use today's from WB whilst the search goes on

ecmwf-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-7340800.thumb.png.f524037b6d18fa0c29cb3d24efd0e2ba.pnggfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-7362400.thumb.png.2ac7ec02221026e2187e51af08c77aac.png

Posted
32 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Or you could look at it the other way- if you have a garden and you're not working/working from home, it's a prime opportunity to spend more time outside.

A lot of people are able to enjoy this sunshine this week when they would normally be stuck inside in an office.

I totally agree. We are spending ages in the garden. But we would have done 5 or 6 days out so far plus my outdoor work which has had to cease would have thrived.

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all

Hope all are keeping well.

Both the GFS 06Z OP and Control get to an E'ly in FI and indeed hot for the first time the OP is quite keen on the E'ly setting in rather sooner. As the next HP cell weakens east, the trough to the south fills the gap by the end of next week with quite a thundery evolution I would think before the HP returns to the north and NE and the E'ly sets up.

Control gets there by a slightly different route and would end rather colder but as you'd expect at this time of year the journey past mid month has both its warmer and colder alternatives. Coldies can salivate over P18 while P11 looks on the warm side of decent in a fortnight.

ECM certainly wasn't interested in any kind of E'ly this morning but GEM had developed a warm but unstable SE'ly by T+240 in its 00Z OP.

Also worth noting the final warming which Singularity referenced the other day and now shows up strongly in 06Z FI. It's this which often provokes the rapid tropospheric response which produces a sharp colder outlook in early May (the Buchan cold spell which is often a potent N'ly supported by strong heights over Greenland).

I still think we will see, quite apart from the coming Sunday/Monday, another sharp colder interlude though whether that's later this month or early May remains to be seen.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, knocker said:

I thought the Tropical Titbits site had them but on checking apparently not

If it's of any use today's from WB whilst the search goes on

ecmwf-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-7340800.thumb.png.f524037b6d18fa0c29cb3d24efd0e2ba.pnggfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-7362400.thumb.png.2ac7ec02221026e2187e51af08c77aac.png

I can use those until perhaps the usual returns so thank you for them