Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good morning folks. :hi:

And looks like a cooler, more unsettled spell will be with us all, come Friday; so, some standard early-June weather is in store. If the GFS 00Z is right::oldgood:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And, despite the run-to-sun synoptic variation, the GEFS 00Z ensembles paint the same picture as before; a short, sharp dip, followed by a more gradual recovery::oldgood:

t850Bedfordshire.png     prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

Clearly one for the synoptic soothsayers to unpick!:oldlaugh:

• Like 8

Posted
35 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Unfortunate Cross model agreement through T+144 of area deepening low pressure just off the north east coast of Scotland, the period from day 6-10 appears to show a much slower attempt for things to settle down and a return to more settled a sum like conditions. All areas receiving some rains by D7, but an absolute deluge further north in western Scotland with much more limited amounts further south.

Ironically looking at the charts i assumed it would be the Eastern side of Scotland that would see the most rainfall, closer proximity to the lows..

• Like 1

Continuation of the 'Dogs dinner' output from ECM - interestingly by Day8 ECM in similar agreement with GFS, relaxing high pressure in the Atlantic to the south with the Azores going home and allowing low's to start rolling over the top of the high along a reinvigorated Jet streak taking aim at the UK.....

Posted
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Continuation of the 'Dogs dinner' output from ECM - interestingly by Day8 ECM in similar agreement with GFS, relaxing high pressure in the Atlantic to the south with the Azores going home and allowing low's to start rolling over the top of the high along a reinvigorated Jet streak taking aim at the UK.....

But just look at that HP at 240, poised to start edging over the U.K. durIng the second half of June. 

• Like 1

When it was looking like the Atlantic would stay dead I was optimistic for quick return to high pressure but I'm not too sure now. There looks like quite a lot of possible obstacles to this with Greenland blocking indicated to linger in the longer term, the Atlantic firing up and low pressure to our east. Although as we saw last year it is still possible to ditch this insidious pattern but I suspect most of June will be poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

Background signals still point to an improvement after mid-June. Remember they drive the models, not the other way  round. And the models will not start to pick this up yet.

Yes ik I just remember the unsettled spell was forecast to be a short interlude before a return to high pressure and it took almost 20 days - I would just be weary of forecasting too fast a return to settled conditions but I'm loving the positivity 

11 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

But just look at that HP at 240, poised to start edging over the U.K. durIng the second half of June. 

Not really, its would be a really slow process if it happens at all. Would be another 3-5days from the there if low pressure again doesn't get stuck over the UK which would be a real possibility - and that's definitely not glass half full stuff. That's 20years of watching models knowing the ECM 240 chart is not great

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Extended ECM 0z operational, I don’t think that’s to bad, shallow trough continuing to fill in-situ ..a recipe for sunshine and heavy slow moving thundery showers and feeling pleasantly warm in the very strong June sun..and just look at that Azores high waiting in the wings..I’d buy that for a dollar!!!!

C4ACFD6D-F3EF-4FE8-8573-20D82936A920.thumb.gif.0ce4dfe83e787c20dded0a4b354be28b.gifA1C6689F-3D47-4D53-8319-032A99722F25.thumb.jpeg.afce93af39144c040d3abc73ab1d0d2c.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Background signals still point to an improvement after mid-June. Remember they drive the models, not the other way  round. And the models will not start to pick this up yet.

But a couple of days ago the background signals were only a showing a 'blip', its now 10days (at least), the back ground signals change and evolve as do the models. As we saw again through winter the background signals didn't pan out that well so not paying too much attention to them to be honest. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Well after the sunniest spring on record I guess a cooler spell of weather isn't a catastrophe is it.im not bothered about the rain amounts being high as I assume the water levels are pretty good.my biggest worry is a spanking framed hammock I've just ordered and not being able to crash out in it of an evening !!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Not really, its would be a really slow process if it happens at all. Would be another 3-5days from the there if low pressure again doesn't get stuck over the UK which would be a real possibility - and that's definitely not glass half full stuff. That's 20years of watching models knowing the ECM 240 chart is not great

Yeah. I think people get fooled as it looks close....but as you say that chart is no quick return to summery conditions. Doesn’t look great this morning. Looking ever likely that after tomorrow the first half of June will be mainly cool....and going by the 00z GFS, quite wet too.

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But a couple of days ago the background signals were only a showing a 'blip', its now 10days (at least), the back ground signals change and evolve as do the models. As we saw again through winter the background signals didn't pan out that well so not paying too much attention to them to be honest. 

The anomaly charts started to show the 'blip' as you call it 3-4 days ago, and suggested it might last 10-14 days. Last evening Noaa and this morening Ec-Gfs all 3 show it still for the 6-10 day period and possibly into 14. So hardly a blip. Obviously any one day may not be too much like the mean charts but overall I suspect we have somewhere between 7 and 14 days of average to be low temperatures, as to rainfall then that can only be predicted from the daily synoptic outputs. Their reliability is not great beyond 2-3 days ahead for amounts of distribution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

EF02B048-545D-4FF5-A558-75F7DAD5698D.thumb.jpeg.7e6af1bf509d0f01cc941bf111fb1719.jpeg

This isn’t too great from the ECM going through June. @Tamara or anyone else’s  thoughts? Backtracking towards a more unsettled June? That Pacific push not going to materialise?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I was talking about the long term background signals, which are for mid June onwards. I'd pay a lot more attention to those than the models which, as you know, swing around wildly. Yes, they are not totally foolproof, but you'd place a lot more credence on those.

Even the extended ECM is prone to flips - we have seen that many times in Winter.

I am not saying that things won't turn out badly - but let's get some perspective first.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

A few days ago I suspected the upcoming cool spell was being over done. I was wrong (again)

This is a poor chart going into mid-June (although the NW might be ok):

image.thumb.png.ec2023c1e32f627bd7eda77f39866f7c.png

I was hoping for some rain as it's all yellow and brown in the desert that is Bedfordshire. But I was hoping it wouldn't turn cool. A poor 10 days looks to be the form horse from Thursday onwards

Posted

Let's look for a few positives!

The GFS 6z has the LP further north and east than on the 0z. So less of an impact on us.

EDIT: Leo beat me to it!

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, LRD said:

A few days ago I suspected the upcoming cool spell was being over done. I was wrong (again)

This is a poor chart going into mid-June (although the NW might be ok):

image.thumb.png.ec2023c1e32f627bd7eda77f39866f7c.png

I was hoping for some rain as it's all yellow and brown in the desert that is Bedfordshire. But I was hoping it wouldn't turn cool. A poor 10 days looks to be the form horse from Thursday onwards

GFS is representative of the above 

image.thumb.png.be45d987d54baf1ab281c3aeb4c4fd81.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

GFS is representative of the above 

image.thumb.png.be45d987d54baf1ab281c3aeb4c4fd81.png

I suppose in that time frame, it's not really a surprise. I'm pretty much accepting of a 10 day spell of cooler weather, although rainfall amounts will be variable.

Posted
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

I suppose in that time frame, it's not really a surprise. I'm pretty much accepting of a 10 day spell of cooler weather, although rainfall amounts will be variable.

I think for Day 10, that's a pretty impressive match

I agree - the idea of a significant cool down is something we need to get used to. Just hope we get some rain. Then thunderstorms, warmth and sun can dominate from later June to early Sept!

image.thumb.png.a93014c714c82b127fb69cc2fba83dbb.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

I think for Day 10, that's a pretty impressive match

I agree - the idea of a significant cool down is something we need to get used to. Just hope we get some rain. Then thunderstorms, warmth and sun can dominate from later June to early Sept!

image.thumb.png.a93014c714c82b127fb69cc2fba83dbb.png

Let's hope so - I'll miss the sun and warmth!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Despite the Northerly flow and below average temps advertised on the output, there still doesn't appear to be a great deal of precipitation in the outlook, especially in the East. May was the driest on record in the UK. The situation around here is getting desperate:

Web-Irrigating-Winter-Wheat-2152020-2924
WWW.FWI.CO.UK

Government representatives and farm leaders are to discuss drought measures as a lack of rain further damages harvest prospects across the country. Low

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1