Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted
4 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

The biggest effect will most likely play out in Winter 2020/2021.

Winter 2016/2017 was a blocked winter and if the EQBO had played out as it should have done it could have been a cold winter. As it happened it could have been the continuing WQBO that put paid to it as we were close at times to pulling in sustained cold spells but the blocking always set up in the wrong place and put us in the mild area instead

ct5km_ssta_v3.1_global_20200522.thumb.png.eae1bab476c64e887f8706f72bd452f3.png

This year we appear to be forming a tripole in the N Atlantic right now and with the prospect of a La Nina too which also looks to be forming right now combined with low solar activity then things looked to be shaping up quite well for a cold UK winter as the EQBO should have been at its strongest by the time we got to the end of this year but with the latest developments it looks like that factor could play against us getting a cold winter. Combine that with the warming N Pacific again then a more standard or mild winter now looks more likely again.

As for summer 2020 the rapidly forming La Nina is a bigger concern if you want a dry summer as previous summers where we have quickly transitioned into La Nina the weather has taken a dive into a washout, 1998 and 2007 are good examples of this.

Thanks for that.

But La Niña doesn’t always lead to a poor summer does it?

Back to current models - GFS 6z seems to have ditched the breakdown next weekend.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

They're the latest set of clusters we can see from the ECM, and as I'm sure you'd agree, just looking at one set of ensembles is not as good as looking as looking at two, so I'm interested to see how they will change / not change when the new set were released later. Also, I had been sleeping between 11.30 and 7.30,so it really was the first chance for me, and I guess others, to see them

Thanks MWB. I hadn't seen the clusters from last night so I found it helpful that you posted them. Interesting to see how they compare with this mornings clusters. Will provide a big clue to where we're headed. I suspect it's heading for more and more high pressure domination and dry weather when we now need some rain. 

Edited by Blessed Weather
Comment removed.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

By popular demand, here are the ECM 00Z clusters, D8 looks like a 50/50 split between something like yesterday's ECM op run (trough over UK) and high pressure building back into the UK instead. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020052400_192.

By D13, anything possible really, but troughs to our south at this time of year often mean the chance of warm or thundery spells, or cluster 4 could be very wet. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020052400_312.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
34 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

By popular demand, here are the ECM 00Z clusters, D8 looks like a 50/50 split between something like yesterday's ECM op run (trough over UK) and high pressure building back into the UK instead. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020052400_192.

By D13, anything possible really, but troughs to our south at this time of year often mean the chance of warm or thundery spells, or cluster 4 could be very wet. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020052400_312.

Thanks again. Day 13, cluster 3 would be nice (might be thundery and probably warm). But it looks like high pressure continues to be the form horse

Edited by LRD
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Gfs 6z operational, the week ahead looks VERY GOOD...as in settled for the majority of the u k  and warm / very warm too before it probably loses the plot in low res, looking at the GEFS 6z, for sure there is some absolute crud beyond the week ahead but also some more pleasant outcomes ...so, perhaps early  June could still be decent or better..fingers crossed etc!...let’s remember, it’s not all about what the Gfs / Gefs shows!!!.☀️

272FFC0C-215F-46A8-B7F0-F4796EF6C51D.gif

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Thanks for that.

But La Niña doesn’t always lead to a poor summer does it?

Back to current models - GFS 6z seems to have ditched the breakdown next weekend.

Yes.. Its a good post, and he certainly knows his stuff. But as we are aware there are so many other over riding circumstances that can squander a certain outcome. I've heard it touted many times before in the past that la nina type outcomes would lead to a cold start to winter, or a cold end to winter with neither coming off. Remember those gr8 background signals for Winter in 2018/2019? Well we all know the outcome there... Probably because all those signals got overridden by 1 or 2 other signals.. Like perhaps an IOD.. I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess at the middle part of this summer, let alone this coming winter! Far to many things can crop up at short notice to massively change the outcome at short notice. We'll at least we have some good output this morning... Looking good next week folks... Enjoy.. ☀️

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
16 minutes ago, Zak M said:

This is when it gets a bit tricky. The GFS has delayed the breakdown up until June 4th - so by then, expect some heavy rain

By then it’ll probably just be a continuation of the current weather with the way it’s being pushed back. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Et pour les ensembles:

As can be seen, our old friend, the 06Z op is off bungee-jumping from June 3rd!:crazy:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

And pressure looks set to fall, but we can all hope it's to our south and not east!:unsure2:

prmslBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

That's because I like my rain (if we even get any!) to be warm rain...:oldgood:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ICON 12z

anim_hrx5.gif

Some nice settled weather here, and then the scenario becomes interesting, towards T180 when the ridge from the Azores to Scandi is on, but that cut off low, which we first saw hinted at by yesterday's 12s becomes established, position of that will be crucial in determining the path beyond next weekend.  On this run, potential for thunderstorms for some as the heat is there, T180:

image.thumb.jpg.f0985fe30c1ea60a9a7c99b3f914b661.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

UKMO T144 looks like it is going the same way.  What is pushing the high over the top?  The low at the far bottom left of the chart is a factor, I think.

image.thumb.jpg.02a7fc65c9bf6f6f4ab122239290c340.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

12z UKMO - 96 and 120

30c being reached somewhere next week is certainly possible

UW96-21.thumb.gif.b2f4dc3a7687917e5a2e6d6b6570bc79.gif   UW120-21.thumb.gif.c2aad43345997d2d88444b86b2a5ae56.gif

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

GFS at T+96: fine and sunny, but not too hot!:oldgood:

h850t850eu.png    h500slp.png

It's a stonker!:clapping:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

12z UKMO - 96 and 120

30c being reached somewhere next week is certainly possible

UW96-21.thumb.gif.b2f4dc3a7687917e5a2e6d6b6570bc79.gif   UW120-21.thumb.gif.c2aad43345997d2d88444b86b2a5ae56.gif

I don't agree - uppers are just about high enough but feed is too easterly 

Probably just about possible in July but too early off this set up

Possible this might correct to a more southerly flow however 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

I agree - especially the UKMO tonight, which goes very easterly by 144 and cuts off the very warm air that was starting to build. At the moment I’d say 25-27c looks fair, which is still very good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

F1B68617-EA0D-4E63-B1F5-CFF155142FB4.thumb.gif.2a754687454474fd4a703345b35f19a9.gif2C80F529-FE80-4664-92B4-174AF8C703FC.thumb.png.a6c7d56f74e473020c3a76e5e8a70bee.png

For once - I prefer the GFS! Warmer air source, no wind. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
6 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Sorry, you are probably correct - completely forgot to look at the 850hpa temps!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

It's still looking good Jeff...

UKMO and GFS at 144

UW144-21.thumb.gif.63850c04ec312fdd2f1405834e4129d7.gifgfs-0-144.thumb.png.7dd027edba677481af0360cd002b70d6.png

there is still some differences at that time but just a variation of the theme which is still pleasantly warm weather,now whether it breaks down to some unsettled weather or thunderstorms is anyone's guess and i like the latest METO forecast too with above average temps,sunny spells and warm,the caveats aply to the NW of the UK but i am sure they will join in on the fine and settled weather. 

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I agree - especially the UKMO tonight, which goes very easterly by 144 and cuts off the very warm air that was starting to build. At the moment I’d say 25-27c looks fair, which is still very good.

Also agree, the highest temps look like transferring to the west, Bournemouth, Chivenor and the dodgy sited place in Wales will all do well. For 30C in May (which is as rare as 35C in July/August) you really some decent warm advection from the south, max temps look 26-28C and that's squeezing nearly 20C out of the uppers which is exceptional in its self. ICON so far would probably get you the closest to 30C.

Edited by Guest

Posted
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

Sorry, you are probably correct - completely forgot to look at the 850hpa temps!

I made that mistake yesterday, Zak!  Easily done when the runs are coming out fast.  GFS quite different to UKMO and ICON, looks like continuation of the settled weather with very little impact of the trough feature, T162:

image.thumb.jpg.5de319fcaea0c1b76331df628f82ac72.jpg

• Like 7

Yes worth remembering how dry soil means lapse rates are way way higher at the moment than normal although I'm quite perplexed at the temperatures the GFS is predicting (21-23C) - should be higher than that.

Very different to the BBC with 25-27 for all this week in London

• Like 3