Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted
10 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Hi MWB

Confirmed max for yesterday 22.6C at Hurn ... a 1.6C increase on ECM modelled temperatures for the same day - a bit of a lower increase than usual but still a bit of a lift on the predicted value

+/- 2C is, I believe, considered correct for a forecast by UK Met!

That seems entirely reasonable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
2 hours ago, knocker said:

I would have to say I would interpret this a little differently. There is indeed a trough that exits the eastern seaboard which attempts to phase with main trough

But fails and from this point the main trough deepens quickly near the left ext of the jet

But hey ho that's model discussion

anim_twj9.gif

I'm afraid I must disagree on this one, I think we may be looking at different small lows attempting to phase. The one I'm referring to engages with the base of the trough at +168 and then proceeds to deepen rapidly as it interacts with the polar air and strong upper-level divergence (near the left exit of the jet, as you rightly say).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some nice potential to end today's GFS 06Z; after a week-or-so's convective weather (plants need rain!), it'd be great were warm air from the east and west to fuse together, over Blighty. I really am the Archbishop of Canterbury...Honest!:oldlaugh:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 7

Posted

Interesting that the AROME has downgraded temperatures for this afternoon quite a bit in the past 18 hours, not just across the UK but across a lot of Europe.

arome-0-27-0.png  aromehd-0-9-0.png?23-12

This is very unusual for the AROME at such short range. Might the changes in vehicle related heat and low level pollution be causing trouble with the models? (Just a theory!)

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Singularity said:

anim_twj9.gif

I'm afraid I must disagree on this one, I think we may be looking at different small lows attempting to phase. The one I'm referring to engages with the base of the trough at +168 and then proceeds to deepen rapidly as it interacts with the polar air and strong upper-level divergence (near the left exit of the jet, as you rightly say).

Okay fair enough

gem-all-natl_wide-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-8204800.thumb.png.d47483d17797f38c524d38db9e8cd464.pnggem-all-natl_wide-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-8248000.thumb.png.e4f68599ef3a87ed8ff0e74027707ac4.png

Edited by knocker

Posted

With some folks talking about next week being 'very cool', let's see what the GFS 06Z ensembles show:

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

So, not exactly 'very cool', but given a prolonged, torrential downpour and heavy cloud-cover, I suppose it's possible...But, overall, maxes between, say, 12 and 17C still look reasonable, to me...?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

High-five!

h500slp (13).png

That's a Spanish Plume just waiting to happen, shame it's well outside of reliable timeframe!

• Like 5

Posted

I was getting all excited when I saw that plume coming, only for it go the wrong side of the left-hand upright! He should have done better there, Alan?:oldsad:

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

Never mind though, we've got plenty of time yet!:oldlaugh:

• Like 5

Posted

Not surprisingly, the GFS 12Z operational run is a 'tad' on the cold side of the ensemble:

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

It's also rather out-on-its-own regarding SLP. So, maybe even less definitive than usual?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

The ECM is a bit of a dogs breakfast, and obviously shows a more unsettled spell beyond this weekend.... On a positive we see some signs of High Pressure building from the SW by day 10...but good lord the difference at day 10 from the 0z and 12z is ridiculous.. Perhaps a lack of balloon data... Or someone is having a laugh... Stay safe. 

ECM1-240.gif

ECM1-240 (1).gif

WelcomeTiredFlicker-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 7

Posted

Evening All

Looking at the output, the one word that comes to mind is unsettled. It will be a marked contrast to the glorious weather of the past few days with largely cloudless skies and low humidity.

ECM1-240.GIF?23-0gem-0-240.png?12gfs-0-240.png?12gens-0-1-240.png

ECM, GEM, GFS OP and GFS Control respectively at T+240.

I'm struck by how GFS seems keen to maintain blocking over Greenland and a weak mid-Atlantic ridge. Pressure is trying to rise over SE Europe leaving the British Isles dangerously close to the trough which threatens to align into Scandinavia.

ECM and GEM offer a different evolution and it's interesting to see ECM trying to bring the Azores HP closer via a small LP over the islands sending the HP nearer us. We've yet to see the Azores HP play its hand but there's more than a hint from GFS, GEM and some earlier comments on this thread that we might see the trough dig well south between the Azores and Iberia which would be good news for summer fans as that would allow for a S'ly flow and of course potential instability. We aren't thee yet - the LP is too close and we end up with an unsettled SW'ly flow which will be damp for many though warm for the SE. 

ECM's evolution is very different and is more traditionally mobile though the strong LP coming out of Newfoundland at T+240 might encourage the mid-Atlantic ridge to push up in front - we'll see.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stodge said:

Evening All

Looking at the output, the one word that comes to mind is unsettled. It will be a marked contrast to the glorious weather of the past few days with largely cloudless skies and low humidity.

ECM1-240.GIF?23-0gem-0-240.png?12gfs-0-240.png?12gens-0-1-240.png

ECM, GEM, GFS OP and GFS Control respectively at T+240.

I'm struck by how GFS seems keen to maintain blocking over Greenland and a weak mid-Atlantic ridge. Pressure is trying to rise over SE Europe leaving the British Isles dangerously close to the trough which threatens to align into Scandinavia.

ECM and GEM offer a different evolution and it's interesting to see ECM trying to bring the Azores HP closer via a small LP over the islands sending the HP nearer us. We've yet to see the Azores HP play its hand but there's more than a hint from GFS, GEM and some earlier comments on this thread that we might see the trough dig well south between the Azores and Iberia which would be good news for summer fans as that would allow for a S'ly flow and of course potential instability. We aren't thee yet - the LP is too close and we end up with an unsettled SW'ly flow which will be damp for many though warm for the SE. 

ECM's evolution is very different and is more traditionally mobile though the strong LP coming out of Newfoundland at T+240 might encourage the mid-Atlantic ridge to push up in front - we'll see.

A resurgent jet is on its way, and the trough is going to become squeezed direct over the UK - a westerly feed as we enter May, first significant rain for over 6 weeks to many NW parts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

The GFS 12z vs the GFS 18z.

Just shows how quick things can change!

1752362377_h500slp(14).thumb.png.80bfed6775024ea9d439d9c5db9f139c.png   350983397_h500slp(15).thumb.png.b98ded69315af539b30e0616e650ae2e.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
4 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

The ECM is a bit of a dogs breakfast, and obviously shows a more unsettled spell beyond this weekend.... On a positive we see some signs of High Pressure building from the SW by day 10...but good lord the difference at day 10 from the 0z and 12z is ridiculous.. Perhaps a lack of balloon data... Or someone is having a laugh... Stay safe. 

ECM1-240.gif

ECM1-240 (1).gif

WelcomeTiredFlicker-size_restricted.gif

Theres nothing dogs breakfast about it. The 12z looks pretty much like standard weather for the UK for this time of year... The confidence for a return to a more standard weather pattern at the end of the April and into May has been growing for sometime now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Id suggest you get outside a bit more if you think we dont need rain!

The ground is rock hard, plants are becoming drought stressed, grass is starting to brown off on shallow soils.. all that rain we had between last june and march has gone... the aquifers may be full, reservoirs may be full, but gardens are dry... fields are now dry, growers, gardeners, farmers, need rain.

And we wont be disappointed by the look of it... a gradual slide to low pressure domination and "usual" westerly sourced weather is as good as certain.

You miss my point mate. You don't need to wish for rain, we will get plenty of that,  what gardeners and farmers need is sun as well. I'm sure all those farmers whose land was flooded,  are happy to see some dry weather and sun, safe in the knowledge;  it will definitely rain again soon enough!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

Id suggest you get outside a bit more if you think we dont need rain!

The ground is rock hard, plants are becoming drought stressed, grass is starting to brown off on shallow soils.. all that rain we had between last june and march has gone... the aquifers may be full, reservoirs may be full, but gardens are dry... fields are now dry, growers, gardeners, farmers, need rain.

And we wont be disappointed by the look of it... a gradual slide to low pressure domination and "usual" westerly sourced weather is as good as certain.

It rained pretty much all day last saturday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Well, what can I say - Tamara took my comments and built a fortress out of them!  Big thanks for that .

An interesting point to note in relation - for over a week, the GEFS & EPS models had the MJO stalling in the western Indian Ocean. It's only in the last few days that further propagation eastward has been seen by those. They often seem to fall down when it comes to determining whether propagation will continue following a slow-down such as has recently taken place.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

A good soaking on the way for many areas over the next 10 days. Only exception is the far NW of Scotland if the GFS is to be believed:

image.thumb.gif.c4a5cac0d28e80f8d34cc944a2a48279.gif

Posted
1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

It rained most of Saturday morning here made no difference, dry as bone again by teatime

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, SteveB said:

You miss my point mate. You don't need to wish for rain, we will get plenty of that,  what gardeners and farmers need is sun as well. I'm sure all those farmers whose land was flooded,  are happy to see some dry weather and sun, safe in the knowledge;  it will definitely rain again soon enough!

my bad... lol..

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

6mm all month here in Derby...

• Like 3