Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Comet Atlas C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Yes.....it will be pretty cool if you could catch it on your webcam...i`m hopeing to catch sight and attempt to image in May

predicted position for 19-May-2020

stellarium-013.thumb.png.c7a9597f7fbff66213afd4577ef5eff1.png

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 5

Posted

Forgot to add to my previous post....heres the link

STELLARIUM.ORG

Stellarium is a planetarium software that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars. It's easy to use, and free.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Contains images of the comet

WWW.SPACEWEATHERGALLERY.COM

Recent update/news

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Forgot to add to my previous post....heres the link

STELLARIUM.ORG

Stellarium is a planetarium software that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars. It's easy to use, and free.

Thanks for the link to this :oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted

Something to look forward to

A COMET TALE: Comet ATLAS (C/2019 Y4) has sprung a tail--and it's impressive. "According to my observations, it is 1.2 degrees long," reports Gerald Rhemann who recorded this animation on March 27th from his backyard observatory in Eichgraben, Lower Austria:

That's 3.3 million km, or more than twice as wide as the sun. The outer reaches of ATLAS's tail are still faint, but the gossamer filaments can be seen sweeping across the stars in Rhemann's animation.  "I took these pictures using a 12-inch telescope," he says.

Comet ATLAS is now shining like an 8th magnitude star--too dim to see with the unaided eye but and easy target for backyard telescopes like Rhemann's. The comet is expected to become much brighter. By the time it sweeps by the sun closer than Mercury in late May, it could rival Venus in the evening sky. That would be a comet tale, indeed.

atlas_tail_strip.thumb.gif.143c63b1d287fa852f4b583809928c15.gif

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Ouch

FRAGMENTS OF COMET ATLAS: There's no longer any doubt. Comet ATLAS (C/2019 Y4) is falling apart. Around the world, amateur astronomers are beginning to witness the breakup, even imaging individual fragments. Jose de Queiroz photographed 3 pieces on April 11th:

jose-de-queiroz-latest-image-of-comet-Atlas_1586645792_lg.thumb.jpg.41b73885682aff9f1f53c5836eacd714.jpg

"I took the picture using the 90 cm telescope at Observatory Mirasteilas in Falera, Switzerland," says de Queiroz. "This is a stacked 20x120 sec exposure."

Confirming images from the Lulin One-meter Telescope in Taiwan have just been reported in an Astronomer's Telegram. The observing team, led by Zhong-Yi Lin of Taiwan's National Central University, estimates that the leading fragment is about 3400 km ahead of the trailing pair.

The breakup of Comet ATLAS coincides with a sharp decline in its brightness. The Comet Observation Database shows a drop of two full magnitudes (a factor of more than 6):

lightcurve.thumb.png.5d5107623a2eae1ce4235d309895c0d1.png

These trends suggest that the comet *might* completely dissolve before its close approach to the sun inside the orbit of Mercury at the end of May. "Follow-up observations of C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS), both imaging and spectroscopy, are highly recommended to investigate the cause of this cometary breakup event," says Lin and colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 20/04/2020 at 06:36, Weather-history said:

Let' s see what Comet SWAN brings

Looks more promising now, reports are that it has reached naked eye visibility

• Like 7

Posted

Looks like Comet Swan could be visible in the UK from 16 th May onwards....Where it will be pressent very low on the NWW horizon just to the right (N) of where the sunsets

capture-20200503-164448.thumb.png.bc69d6a5c320bde56de8cf401f37ae0a.png

default-thumbnail.jpg
THESKYLIVE.COM

Your Guide to the Solar System and the Night Sky | TheSkyLive.com

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Following on from my ealier post (above) and a little more research....Comet Swan could be visible, pre-dawn from May 10th onwards.... just before the Sun rises... very low on the Horizon Due East

capture-20200503-225718.thumb.png.c9f256893a52e699a623255bce8bcf87.png

• Like 2

Posted

Tomorrow morning (5-5-2020) marks the start of when Comet Swans becomes potentially visible over UK skies.

capture-20200504-151114.thumb.png.3fe82646d1a046a6059a3b69b83c7548.png

Realistically we may have to wait a week or so to actually view... when it appears higher in the sky above the pollution layers and low horizon clouds.

It`s going to be visible for a couple of months.... so hopefully there will be plenty of opportunity for viewing

In June it will be visible in the NNE skies where it will coincide with this years Noctilucent Cloud season

For the non-tweeters the finder chart which Weather-History posted above

swan.thumb.jpg.38cf9939fdae33d6afdbbe024512dbcd.jpg

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Excellent posts from W-man above...with the video giving some balanced information...a must see

Posted
ernesto-guido-marco-rocchetto-adriano-va
SPACEWEATHERARCHIVE.COM

May 6, 2020: What just happened to Comet SWAN (C/2020 F8)? The newly-discovered comet surprised observers this week when it suddenly became visible to...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
Posted

Following on from the Express article above here`s my attempt to narrow down the chances of seeing Comet Swan.

The first thing we need is a cloud free morning....and looking at a couple of forecasts i believe that the first chance will be next Wed morning (20th) and as the article alluded to an hour or so before Sunrise.

Taking these facts into concideration my calculations are based on 20-5-2020 at 3.00am (towards the end of astronomical twilight and before Nautical twilight starts.)

This will see the comet at 9 degrees altitude which is enough to take it above the pollution level and into clearer skies.

to Help postion the comet i have selected 4 stars which are normally visible with the naked eye. * this really depends on the light pollution where you are situated*

(Imby its horrendus....which means that i can only see 2 of the 4 positioning stars selected with my eyes)

capture-20200516-165050.thumb.png.44d31bf259f5ab0104d48f5a6b64a270.png

Capella, which is one of the brightest stars is easily visible and just about due N.......also at 3am is at the same altitude as the Comet

the next star to look for is Mirach the brightest star in the Anrdomeda constellation and is just off NE at a slightly higher altitude than Capella

These 2 stars will give you a rough idea of where to look...ie about half way between and at the same altitude as Capella

Around half way between Capella and Mirach and at the same altitude as Mirach is the brightest star in the Perseus constellation...Mirfak

Also aroud half way between Capella and Mirach but on the same altitude as Capella is the slightly less visible star Algol.....and as you can see by the diagram the comet is situated next to Algol

I hope this helps in anyway.....Happy hunting

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

"hope this helps in anyway.....Happy hunting"

Thank you Arnie :oldsmile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1