BornFromTheVoid

COVID-19: Personal and Local Discussion

Is it reasonable to expect the government to under write everything?  

In particular we have all made decisions concerning what we do in the past.  Lack of savings will affect many. Was it prudent to go on that holiday or bought something when you relied on credit? There have been lots of warnings over the years.

Should we have spent so much money on fags and booze?  It has been government policy that you shouldn’t smoke or drink much.  Those of us who ignored the advice and have no money can’t have it both ways.

We all have responsibility for our own actions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Snipper said:

In particular we have all made decisions concerning what we do in the past.  Lack of savings will affect many. Was it prudent to go on that holiday or bought something when you relied on credit? There have been lots of warnings over the years.

Should we have spent so much money on fags and booze?  It has been government policy that you shouldn’t smoke or drink much.  Those of us who ignored the advice and have no money can’t have it both ways.

Really? Maybe society should have been more equal? Maybe the minimum wage should have been £12 an hour and we shouldn't have billionaires hoarding so much wealth? Hoarding toilet rolls is awful yet hoarding money is ok?

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

14 deaths in the Black Country out of 104.   thats actually quite high and worrying   edit 13%    and population around 1 million   

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Can I have a moan !

The other thread I thought worked really well . This is an international problem anyway.

By splitting the threads I think is a solution looking for a problem . 

And another gripe there are  a few overseas posters who will now be confined to the international thread .

Please reconsider and don’t ruin what was a great thread .

Agreed.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Can I have a moan !

The other thread I thought worked really well . This is an international problem anyway.

And another gripe there are  a few overseas posters who will now be confined to the international thread .

exactly   its also difficult now navigating between the threads    I would have split it to coronavirus  news  and personal experiences   (illness etc)  but hey what do i know. 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Can I have a moan !

Also agree. 

Edited by BarnetBlizzard
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Can I have a moan !

Completely agree.

• Like 4

Just now, Snipper said:

Agreed.

Thanks . I thought we had a great thread which worked well . And also I really liked the sense of community we developed there which is important at this time .

And now the mods are going to start deleting posts and moving them . And people are going to feel more restricted . 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Really? Maybe society should have been more equal? Maybe the minimum wage should have been £12 an hour and we shouldn't have billionaires hoarding so much wealth? Hoarding toilet rolls is awful yet hoarding money is ok?

Get real. You really think the billionaires are holding that money and sitting on the floor counting it? The money is invested in companies which in turn generates jobs.  Because they are taking, on occasions massive risks, I don’t see why they shouldn’t get paid handsomely for it.

Have you ever started up a business and run it? In particular during the early stages it is you who is borrowing money and when your employees leave at the end of the day you are still working. Probably a 7 day a week job. 

As it turns out because of this virus many of these so called billionaires are loosing millions if not billions.  So who is going to be starting new businesses to employ you and others?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Get real. You really think the billionaires are holding that money and sitting on the floor counting it? The money is invested in companies which in turn generates jobs.  Because they are taking, on occasions massive risks, I don’t see why they shouldn’t get paid handsomely for it.

Have you ever started up a business and run it? In particular during the early stages it is you who is borrowing money and when your employees leave at the end of the day you are still working. Probably a 7 day a week job. 

As it turns out because of this virus many of these so called billionaires are loosing millions if not billions.  So who is going to be starting new businesses to employ you and others?

The biggest economic & jobs growth comes from the little guy starting up new businesses from scratch, when you study economics that's taught to you in the first weeks of your first year at uni. Nobody needs billions, no probs if someone has earned a few million though. Here & now is not the time for me telling you this.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 2

I will continue to post my personal and local experience in here as the mods have now said .

Which of course means France which I take will be acceptable. So I will refrain from moaning anymore but my point still stands from my previous post .

• Like 4

I was thinking about doing a thread like this as I was expecting people just wanted the other thread to just be about facts and figures and science and not so much about worries and personal experiences. I say keep this thread open so people like me have a goto, to be able to write down how we are feeling, seeing, doing and maybe even just a friendly ear for people on their own, or what people are doing if they can't get out. 

A thread mainly away from the facts and figures, as pointed out, looking at them doesn't help us with anxiety.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Morning

i have woken up with a sore throat/blocked nose and slight shakes,chills

i had the itching nose sensation yesterday,mmm!!!

what should i do,stay at home or go to work this afternoon?

Edited by Allseasons-si

Keep in mind folks, what you see is not all that is posted in the other thread. It was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain and keep focused. Many comments were getting removed, and lots of general chat and bickering was burying good comments. Consider, not everyone wants to go through pages of commentary on different peoples symptoms, while trying to find the latest international updates. 

There will be no perfect solution. But the situation is fluid and we're trying to adapt to things as best we can. We'll be happy to try and set up threads that best accommodate everyone's preferences, so feel free to offer suggestions either via pm to the mods or in the help, support and feedback area. Cheers.

• Like 7

Just now, BornFromTheVoid said:

Keep in mind folks, what you see is not all that is posted in the other thread. It was becoming increasingly difficult to maintain and keep focused. Many comments were getting removed, and lots of general chat and bickering was burying good comments. Consider, not everyone wants to go through pages of commentary on different peoples symptoms, while trying to find the latest international updates. 

There will be no perfect solution. But the situation is fluid and we're trying to adapt to things as best we can. We'll be happy to try and set up threads that best accommodate everyone's preferences, so feel free to offer suggestions either via pm to the mods or in the help, support and feedback area. Cheers.

So just for clarification  is all news  whether  here in the uk and abroad   posted in the other thread  and illnesses etc in this one?.   

Just had a rare (for me) daytime nap and feeling rather achy and fatigued at the moment. I'd still describe this as a mild illness (can't be 100% sure it Covid despite fitting the bill).

Got to say a little fed up already, especially as I had only just got back to work after a knee injury, but there you go!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Can I have a moan !

I'm also going to state my opinion I don't see what the issue was with the previous thread on other words if it ain't broke, don't fix it

• Like 4

This post will merge both topics again, however here is the current trend line for the UK against other countries when it comes to death and frankly paints a really worrying picture. Basically we are going to be where Spain/Italy is probably next week...

ETdw4n8WoAAnaEg.thumb.jpg.ef09a1f08bea56fa9180b8f973c7d9a8.jpg

Very much on the left hand side of the mean and would be suggestive that days with 000s of death per day are coming in the not too distant future, perhaps a symptom of London starting to become a hotspot like Madrid (I suppose that shouldn't be surprising).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I can't bring myself to put into words what I feel about the people who abuse their bodies and then expect the NHS to bail them out again and again.   One free hospital treatment and one free course in re-hab should be the limit and after that heavy smokers, drinkers etc should pay for their own treatment.  It's largely people in this category who are now most at risk and will be responsible for the greatest strain being placed on the NHS, to the detriment of the elderly and infirm.

3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

So just for clarification  is all news  whether  here in the uk and abroad   posted in the other thread  and illnesses etc in this one?.   

The opening post lays it out, but I'll try to reiterate here: This thread is for local/regional news, stats and personal experiences (this can apply to local areas of our international members too). National statistics (like the 2pm updates) can fit in to either thread, as they're both relevant to this country and internationally. 

But just to be clear, we're trying to adapt to the huge volume of traffic coming through by splitting things up a little, just like elsewhere on the forum. It may take some tweaking to get right (though we'll never make everyone happy!), but we'll keep trying to improve our approach.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, weirpig said:

exactly   its also difficult now navigating between the threads    I would have split it to coronavirus  news  and personal experiences   (illness etc)  but hey what do i know. 

Spot on !!

• Like 2

Just now, Gael_Force said:

Spot on !!

Im still non the wiser now     all that will happen is people will just pile posts in one area     beacuse local news  is local to were you live  ie UK France Germany  etc  

4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Im still non the wiser now     all that will happen is people will just pile posts in one area     beacuse local news  is local to were you live  ie UK France Germany  etc  

It's probably similar to when snow is forecast: first, frenzy in model thread then retreat to regional threads when the snow arrives

• Like 1