BornFromTheVoid

COVID-19: International Discussion

Posted (edited)

As the COVID-19 pandemic begins to occupy and affect more and more of our lives, it seems best to try and separate discussion into distinct threads so everyone can more easily find the data and resources they require, as well as relevant discussion. As such, this thread will be focused on International Discussion, such as, but not limited to:

·        International Statistics

·        International News Reports

·        Vaccine and Treatment Development

·        Government and Expert Press Conferences outside the UK

Keep things relevant to the topic at hand. Discussion of your own experiences, symptoms or local news should go into the COVID-19: Personal and Local Discussion thread.

Remember that this is a weather forum, and take anyone presenting themselves as experts with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Below are a few resources that might be useful

John Hopkins Global Interactive GIS Map

Rolling Updates from WHO

WHO COVID-19 Q&A

Data Stats and Visualisations

Netweather COVID-19 Research Area

Some final points to remember:

• don't spread conspiracy theories or fake news
  • don't antagonise, insult or disrespect other members
  • keep politics related to government and international expert strategies
  • wash your hands
  • reduce physical contact, especially with high risk individuals
  • keep an eye out on your local vulnerable community members
  • don't hoard essential items
  • follow official guidance
Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

People need to wake up. 

It would be nice if this virus only took out the selfish, arrogant [email protected] who deliberately ignored all the warnings.  Sadly it'll be their grandparents and other unsuspecting vulnerable people that suffer because of their actions.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

People need to wake up. 

Really awful thing to say but having watched that it made me feel that it’s terribly unfair that the elderly and vulnerable are hit hardest by this disease.

In reply to whoever was talking about people collapsing on the street in China, maybe people were trying to carry on aa normal, but couldn't. No one here is/or should be doing that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

People need to wake up. 

I don’t know what Americans were expecting. Most of their parents have probably been happily believing that everything was fine and under control until a few days ago. 
It doesn’t defend their actions though and unfortunately this virus doesn’t have a filter for stupidity.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

In the previous thread some of the last posts mentioned that Russia has reported only their first death.  Without going full on conspiracy theory I must say that I find this rather strange.  Surely Russia does not have some special immunity to this virus even if their people are less able to travel freely and their border security is tighter than most?  Many Russians are international travellers and they have long favoured the Mediterranean for their holidays so I can't understand why their numbers are among the lowest on the planet?  Does anyone have a greater understanding of how Russia is managing to avoid the catastrophic experiences of their neighbours?

1 minute ago, Sky Full said:

In the previous thread some of the last posts mentioned that Russia has reported only their first death.  Without going full on conspiracy theory I must say that I find this rather strange.  Surely Russia does not have some special immunity to this virus even if their people are less able to travel freely and their border security is tighter than most?  Many Russians are international travellers and they have long favoured the Mediterranean for their holidays so I can't understand why their numbers are among the lowest on the planet?  Does anyone have a greater understanding of how Russia is managing to avoid the catastrophic experiences of their neighbours?

Sounds like it's only just got there, let's see what happens. 

• Like 1

Japan has just recorded 3 deaths, they are upto 32 deaths now.

Belgium also recorded 7 new deaths and 273 new cases. Deaths starting to mount there as well now sadly.

Seems to be the case that countries that this time last week were recording maybe 1-2 deaths every 1-2 days, are now reporting at least 5-10 deaths daily.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Another rapid start from Germany today, currently up 756 in terms of cases (similar to yesterday) and 3 new deaths recorded.

Also, still plenty of flights going out of Madrid which is absolutely fascinating to me!! 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Confirmed infections as a proportion of total population, updated this morning.

COVID19_19_3_20_10am.thumb.png.9eef528afc3256c762ac310aa82189c9.png

Top 6 countries are all now European, with China slipping to 24th.

Here's the top 10

image.thumb.png.ab12474b09e0e91c2a85574834cf6db9.png

Spain has had another large uptick overnight in terms of cases and deaths sadly.

Over 2000 new cases overnight since last report and deaths have increased to 767 (overnight rise of 127, and a 24hr rate of 209). 

Situation becoming almost desperate there as it is Spain.

• Like 1

Free fuel from BP for emergency services. See LinkedIn post from BP CEO made at 19:00 18/3/20

“As the spread of COVID-19 continues, our natural instincts are to protect our families, our colleagues and our company.

But in line with our purpose - we want to do more.

I have been engaging with our business leaders across bp to see what more we can do to assist the communities where we live and work. Whether that be supporting governmental efforts – helping local charities - or reaching out to the people in our supply chains. We are extending a helping hand where we can.

Today, here in the UK, we announced we will be providing free fuel at our retail sites for the emergency services – the women and men who we are all depending on to protect us during this time.

We are also looking to protect the elderly – in many ways the most vulnerable – by providing free delivery of food and convenience goods from many of our retail sites. And - of course - we will continue to ensure supplies of fuel and energy are uninterrupted.

We will update you as we do more around the world. But rest assured we take our responsibility as a member of society seriously - and know we have a role to play. And we will.”

• Like 3

With an increase of 80 cases, taking it to 330, Iceland has become the first country where 0.1% of the population is confirmed to be infected.

• Like 1

767 deaths now in Spain, up by 30% in 24 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

They are just lying about it, just like China did. 

28 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Free fuel from BP for emergency services. See LinkedIn post from BP CEO made at 19:00 18/3/20

“As the spread of COVID-19 continues, our natural instincts are to protect our families, our colleagues and our company.

But in line with our purpose - we want to do more.

I have been engaging with our business leaders across bp to see what more we can do to assist the communities where we live and work. Whether that be supporting governmental efforts – helping local charities - or reaching out to the people in our supply chains. We are extending a helping hand where we can.

Today, here in the UK, we announced we will be providing free fuel at our retail sites for the emergency services – the women and men who we are all depending on to protect us during this time.

We are also looking to protect the elderly – in many ways the most vulnerable – by providing free delivery of food and convenience goods from many of our retail sites. And - of course - we will continue to ensure supplies of fuel and energy are uninterrupted.

We will update you as we do more around the world. But rest assured we take our responsibility as a member of society seriously - and know we have a role to play. And we will.”

We should compile a list of enterprises who have acted well, and acted badly in this epidemic, in order to reward those in the longer term who show human decency, and those who have tried to exploit (whether that be their customers, employees or government)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Another rapid start from Germany today, currently up 756 in terms of cases (similar to yesterday) and 3 new deaths recorded.

Also, still plenty of flights going out of Madrid which is absolutely fascinating to me!! 

Not many people on those flights though. 

BA flight overnight from JFK last Friday had 7 (seven) passengers on board apparently

6 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Not many people on those flights though. 

BA flight overnight from JFK last Friday had 7 (seven) passengers on board apparently

Yes, also there will be quite a few flights out there that are just positioning flights, so dont necessarily have any passengers at all.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

767 deaths now in Spain, up by 30% in 24 hours.

Yes thats quite a drastic uptick again for deaths. Won't be long before they have a day like Italy had yesterday. Again worrying because the UK is trending more or less closely to Spain/Italy at the moment.

Iran comes out with a 1,049 new reported cases (true cases maybe way more for Iran especially) and 149 deaths, which is a new record high for the country.