Sign in to follow this  
BornFromTheVoid

COVID-19 Pandemic

Over half the patients in intensive care in the Netherlands are under 50 .

Younger people aren’t immune from severe illness. And we’ve seen reports from other countries  which show permanent damage to the lungs in  some cases .

Covid 19 does things to the body that flu doesn’t , the severity of the illness in those who end up hospitalized is much worse than in flu.

That was confirmed by the U.K. CMO and others advising governments around the world .

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

The number of world-wide fatalities from this virus will be very serious - of that there's no doubt.  But by the time the virus is brought under control, maybe even before that, there could be many other significant knock-on effects which may change our lives forever.  How many businesses even now are being threatened with financial ruin?

It already seems that many airlines, even national carriers, are at risk of going bankrupt - we already lost FlyBe.  Cruise ship owners are having to refund thousands of cancelled tickets, and the same will go for hotel chains, theme parks, sports clubs etc etc.   Even airports rely on the income from international travel and they will all feel the pinch.  The government can't possibly bail them all out so our leisure industry may well look very different in a year from now.

Will we all start to take more holidays at home?

There must be thousands of people whose livelihood relies on all these businesses too - caterers, cleaners, builders, engineering companies, brokers, the list is endless.

i'm not sure we will ever be able to return to 'normal' as we think of it today.

I run a few holiday cottages in Wales. we have 2 issues, everyone is cancelling as too scared to travel, my cleaners are quiting as the virus stays on surfaces for days, we are currently closing down everything for a few months, I have not idea if the business will survive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

The time to stop this virus through isolation and lockdown was when the virus first came to the UK. And I mean the same day. But even then, without symptoms, how do you know who is infected? Once those people are allowed to roam, all bets are off. China should have shut down Wuhan the moment the virus was discovered, and they should have stopped all flights from China. The virus would never have become a pandemic. That was the only time, and it's long gone.

In what will be an ongoing hindsight blame game the WHO should have recommended no travel from China at the outset. Very easy to say that now. In any event it might have escaped anyway.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A lot of NHS hospitals/trusts put restrictions on visitors yesterday. Both me and my wife work in care homes and both care homes have basically gone to lockdown with no non-essential visitors and strict rules for visitors who do have to come in. Maybe it's coincidence but it feels as if it's been a co-ordinated move across the NHS. We both work in private care homes but all our current Coronavirus info and instructions are coming from the NHS, we will just follow their instructions.

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

VISITING at Scotland’s biggest hospital is to be restricted for patients who are acutely unwell, Glasgow’s health board has said.
_89875034_sandwellhospital.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Hospitals in Sandwell, Birmingham and Wolverhampton are affected by the new restrictions.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

A lot of NHS hospitals/trusts put restrictions on visitors yesterday. Both me and my wife work in care homes and both care homes have basically gone to lockdown with no non-essential visitors and strict rules for visitors who do have to come in. Maybe it's coincidence but it feels as if it's been a co-ordinated move across the NHS.

This is a very good move.

If you look at most of the cases in the US, they are largely happening in care homes etc. Given that the virus is most virelent in the elderly, we must contain them

• Like 5

Can we name the people stockpiling without thinking of others,you utter peices of nothing.

Should name and shame them if they carry on with this despicable behaviour.

So much for everyone sticking together in a time of crisis.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Can we name the people stockpiling without thinking of others,you utter peices of nothing.

There's going to be no sport for months, could we round them up and do a Battle Royale (Hunger Games for the younger viewer) with them? Mostly joking but partly not!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

It angers me greatly, also. It's good to see supermarkets limiting the amount people can buy, but it's still not enough. Should be a cap of 2, not 4 or 5. Stockpiling will do nothing but cause shortages, which will increase prices. All they're doing is prehibiting the elderly and less wealthy from buying essential items.

We will never get to the extent where vital stores are closed, not with this virus, not even with a 1918 repeat. If this happened, the country would go to ruins. People have to work, and vital shops have to stay open. And they will.

What worries me most is small buisnesses, and the self employed. When this really ramps up, I fear for their wellbeing.

• Like 5

It seems that in the vast majority of cases you can’t transmit the virus until you start showing symptoms .

This would be positive news.  I’m not sure why this hasn’t been explained more clearly to the public .

You can find that in the U.K. government report on Covid 19. 

Its titled: Guidance for infection , prevention and control in healthcare settings .

• Like 1

Just now, matty007 said:

It angers me greatly, also. It's good to see supermarkets limiting the amount people can buy, but it's still not enough. Should be a cap of 2, not 4 or 5. Stockpiling will do nothing but cause shortages, which will increase prices. All they're doing is prehibiting the elderly and less wealthy from buying essential items.

We will never get to the extent where vital stores are closed, not with this virus, not even with a 1918 repeat. If this happened, the country would go to ruins. People have to work, and vital shops have to stay open. And they will.

What worries me most is small buisnesses, and the self employed. When this really ramps up, I fear for their wellbeing.

Very difficult for a supermarket to control a mob. Only got to look at the often filmed January sales. None too sure I would stand in their way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John88B said:

Good news to see Trump tested negative and will be fighting fit to lead the US in their battle againt coronavirus.

Not sure whether you’re being serious or not. He first claimed it was a hoax and then claimed to have shut it down. He was shaking hands with everybody on Friday night. He’s a halfwit who says whatever comes into his head without regard to truth or even sense. Fortunately, it doesn’t really matter as he’s an irrelevance as far as this crisis goes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It seems that in the vast majority of cases you can’t transmit the virus until you start showing symptoms .

This would be positive news.  I’m not sure why this hasn’t been explained more clearly to the public .

You can find that in the U.K. government report on Covid 19. 

Its titled: Guidance for infection , prevention and control in healthcare settings .

That would be a good thing to communicate. I'll be honest, I'm still really unclear about how this thing works, might be my own ignorance but it's because I read conflicting things. I read that you can have it without knowing it - in which case clearly people will transmit blind.

I've had a sore throat for 4 days and, because I've developed this idea I can have it and not know it (and I work in a place that would be ideal for transmission), I'm wondering if I've got it right now, even though I don't have the headline symptoms! 

But if it's only usually transmitable when you have the cough/fever, that will help us all know the enemy, so to speak! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

That would be a good thing to communicate. I'll be honest, I'm still really unclear about how this thing works, might be my own ignorance but it's because I read conflicting things. I read that you can have it without knowing it - in which case clearly people will transmit blind.

I've had a sore throat for 4 days and, because I've developed this idea I can have it and not know it (and I work in a place that would be ideal for transmission), I'm wondering if I've got it right now, even though I don't have the headline symptoms! 

But if it's only usually transmitable when you have the cough/fever, that will help us all know the enemy, so to speak! 

I agree it’s been confusing . There seemed to be a lot of media about transmitting without knowing you had it . But if you can’t transmit it until you’re  show symptoms then that would make a huge difference .

Just now, nick sussex said:

I agree it’s been confusing . There seemed to be a lot of media about transmitting without knowing you had it . But if you can’t transmit it until you’re  show symptoms then that would make a huge difference .

It would be a welcome piece of news but why was there so much talk about asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transfer early on? This reality would take care of the pre-symptomatic worries but not the asymptomatic.

• Like 2

M. Blanquer, the French Education Minister has said that most of the French population are going to get COVID-19. Why is the Education Minister pronouncing on health matters? The less of this cross-disciplinary communication that happens the better, in my opinion. Health issues should be discussed and communicated by the relevant health authorities - otherwise it is just newsfeed for the alarmists, especially in the media.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

M. Blanquer, the French Education Minister has said that most of the French population are going to get COVID-19. Why is the Education Minister pronouncing on health matters? The less of this cross-disciplinary communication that happens the better, in my opinion. Health issues should be discussed and communicated by the relevant health authorities - otherwise it is just newsfeed for the alarmists, especially in the media.

Perhaps the health minister is ill ?

In this country movement is also needed on stopping people from panic buying plus all high risk groups being allowed to stay at home.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

pubmed256blue.png
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Sci China Life Sci. 2020 Mar 4. doi: 10.1007/s11427-020-1661-4. [Epub ahead of print]

"Through epidemiological investigation, we observed a typical asymptomatic transmission to the cohabiting family members, which even caused severe COVID-19 pneumonia"

jld200013f1.png?Expires=2147483647&Signa
JAMANETWORK.COM

This study describes possible transmission of novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from an asymptomatic Wuhan resident to 5 family members in...

A familial cluster of 5 patients with COVID-19 pneumonia in Anyang, China, had contact before their symptom onset with an asymptomatic family member who had traveled from the epidemic center of Wuhan. The sequence of events suggests that the coronavirus may have been transmitted by the asymptomatic carrier.

• Like 2

Philippines again have a 3+ death rise. My guess is they are rather under-reporting the cases over there, 11 deaths from 111 cases is rather high for what is a low amount of cases that shouldn't be overstretching them.

Andrew Marr programme is on now.  Matt Hancock to be on. 

• Like 1

Just now, kold weather said:

Philippines again have a 3+ death rise. My guess is they are rather under-reporting the cases over there, 11 deaths from 111 cases is rather high for what is a low amount of cases that shouldn't be overstretching them.

111 cases? Haha. You can probably multiply that by factor of 100, at least.

There does seem to be a resonable argument that hotter climates do seem to have slower transmission, outside China of course. Whether this is down to the inaccuracy of figures, or that, we shall have to see.

Emergency government powers will be set out on Tuesday with the bill published on Thursday

Posted (edited)

After being concerned and wishing it could have been held in China earlier I'm now resigned to the inevitable truth it cannot be stopped but fairly simple personal measures make more difference than anything else
Avoiding crowds and 'arms lengthing' as much as possible, and imagine surfaces others have touched have got sticky dog poo on them will be far more effective than widespread shutdowns that cannot be maintained for long enough anyway.

In a couple of years time it will probably seem similar to (rather forgotten) Hong Kong flu in 1968, only hopefully a vaccine will be available later this year
What did we do then? Just got on with things and practiced basic hygiene as recommended now.
The major difference now is media driven hysteria like never before.

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 3