Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

easyJet are cancelling all Spanish flights from Tuesday. Flights that operate Sunday and Monday will be to bring passengers home only.

Any outbound flights from UK airport's will be crew only to reposition. 

Virgin Atlantic are starting to put planes into storage as they axe routes and ground planes.

Kind of relieved. Easyjet have made the decision for us. Oh well, 11 months planning down the drain.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I just want to add to my post. 

Anecdotal alert:

When my dad was admitted to hospital during his last days, nearly 2 years ago, he was immediately diagnosed with suspected pneumonia. When he was transferred to a ward, after about 12 hours in an A&E bed, the main doctor on the ward told us she would test him for influenza, because a number of his symptoms were clear signs of flu.

Later on the following day she confirmed he had influenza in his body. She was 99.9% sure his pneumonia was influenza-induced. She also told us it is routine testing to look for causes of pneumonia.

So, any patients admitted to hospital during the winter with pneumonia, for example, would have had further tests done to determine why the pneumonia; many would've been elderly. Those tests would've detected COVID-19, if present. 

There have been no reports of huge spike in deaths during the Winter months. If COVID-19 had been active it would've showed up and reported.

So, there is no way these coughs, talked about on SM, that happened in November, December or even January would've been COVID-19, otherwise it would've spread like wildfire much much earlier than now, and the elderly would've been dying in droves.

On this point though, are we sure they could of picked up COVID back in Dec/Jan/ early Feb? Why increase testing to hospitals patients now, if they routinely would of picked it up anyway?

My limited understanding (which may be wrong, so I'm happy to be corrected) is that dont they generally test for stuff they know about, but dont always pick up everything, particularly if its new? (ie blood tests for example are normally aimed at specific tests, rather than taking one sample and testing for every possible blood related problem etc)

Again, my stance on this is that its a minor minor chance, and just speculation, but I feel its something that cannot be completely ruled out.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
    4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Kind of relieved. Easyjet have made the decision for us. Oh well, 11 months planning down the drain.

And you get your refund.  Friend of mine cancelling flight to Rome  for rugby match told ‘well the plane is still flying’, so no ticket refund.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
    11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

easyJet currently plan to resume flights from the 29th though will be be subject to change

A correction to my post outbound flights from the UK today and tomorrow will have passengers onboard if they want to return home to Spain.

Edited by Summer Sun
    • Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, snefnug said:

And you get your refund.  Friend of mine cancelling flight to Rome  for rugby match told ‘well the plane is still flying’, so no ticket refund.  

Yes. My main issue today, when the Jet2 news broke, was about the money we'd already paid for the apartment rental. So i called the owners and they were " dont worry, you can have your money back". We've privately rented off them for a few years now; they're so lovely. So, that's a relief. Fuerteventura is a place we love, and we've made friends there. It was kind of a holiday, but more of a "let's live there for 2 months" - gutted!!

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

easyJet currently plan to resume flights from the 29th though will be be subject to change

A correction to my post outbound flights from the UK today and tomorrow will have passengers onboard if they want to return home to Spain.

Hmm.....suspect that'll be moved back to be honest, SS. This blimin' virus aint gonna suddenly sulk off in 2 weeks time.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
    Just now, Bristle boy said:

Hmm.....suspect that'll be moved back to be honest, SS. This blimin' virus aint gonna suddenly sulk off in 2 weeks time.

Same unfortunately.

A lot seem to be using dates around the 29th (not just airlines) give or take these are obviously very conservative I suspect and designed not to scare too much.

• Like 1
    Posted
    Just now, Summer Sun said:

Same unfortunately.

A lot seem to be using dates around the 29th (not just airlines) give or take these are obviously very conservative I suspect and designed not to scare too much.

I think it's more to entice people (like me) to accept different flight, only a few days on from orig flight date, rather than accept an immediate refund.

• Like 2
    1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

This is the sort of thing that will hopefully save at least some lives, and hopefully wont take too long to be used widely. 

Obviously you cant predict the future, and part of it is just hoping for the best, but, the medical and scientific world is completely different than it was in the early 1900's. The massive advances in these fields hopefully lends itself to a much greater chance of some obscure cure or care package. Just think of the thousands of labs and facilities around the world currently working to solve this, whether it be in the form of a longer term vaccine, or short term critical care treatment, our chances are much higher now than they ever have been. (thats my optimistic view at least)

Just an aside, but I still dont think there is anything the world could of done to prepare for anything like this, other than the obvious elephant in the room of China. The modern world of interconnected travel around the globe has obviously caused the rapid spread, but the same technological advancements will hopefully fix it eventually. 

• Like 2
    48 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It really is everywhere ! One wonders just how many cases are really out there .

Bizarre how its always the wives lol, makes you wonder what they've been doing ;)

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    28 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There's also been an ongoing shortage of ibuprofen for many months, empty shelves have been common since October:

744602191_Screenshot_20200314-234448_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.86ba3a9937b7a4e53135498909ec20d6.jpg

Tesco & Sainsburys have struggled for their own brand but the Co-op have always had their own brand in stock.

Heard that the French Government have warned that Ibuprofen type drugs can actually help the virus develop in the human body. Anyone heard this? Also various drugs for high blood pressure?  I take both unfortunately if true.

On another note our friends were at the  boarding gates at Edinburgh airport this morning when they heard that their flight to Lanzarote was cancelled. At least they weren't half way there.

• Like 3
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Ibuprofen and steroids have been found to aid corona virus so i would stay clear

Yes, apparently so. I only take paracetemol 'normally', but the only other regular drug i use is to control my migraines (only 3 or 4 per year), and that is migraleve, so i'll check the drug content later today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
    58 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I just want to add to my post. 

Anecdotal alert:

When my dad was admitted to hospital during his last days, nearly 2 years ago, he was immediately diagnosed with suspected pneumonia. When he was transferred to a ward, after about 12 hours in an A&E bed, the main doctor on the ward told us she would test him for influenza, because a number of his symptoms were clear signs of flu.

Later on the following day she confirmed he had influenza in his body. She was 99.9% sure his pneumonia was influenza-induced. She also told us it is routine testing to look for causes of pneumonia.

So, any patients admitted to hospital during the winter with pneumonia, for example, would have had further tests done to determine why the pneumonia; many would've been elderly. Those tests would've detected COVID-19, if present. 

There have been no reports of huge spike in deaths during the Winter months. If COVID-19 had been active it would've showed up and reported.

So, there is no way these coughs, talked about on SM, that happened in November, December or even January would've been COVID-19, otherwise it would've spread like wildfire much much earlier than now, and the elderly would've been dying in droves.

My partner is a doctor, and worked in the local respiratory ward for much of the winter. And no, they would not have detected COVID-19 if it was present, nor would they have tested for it. Even now, COVID-19 tests are severely limited and only employed after certain criteria are met.  Regardless, the corona virus group is different to influenza. You can't detect COVID-19 by testing for the flu.

Still, I agree that COVID-19 was not prevalent before the new year. With how infectious it is, it would have quickly developed and spread, causing anomalous respiratory failures and other related issues.

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

My partner is a doctor, and worked in the local respiratory ward for much of the winter. And no, they would not have detected COVID-19 if it was present, nor would they have tested for it. Even now, COVID-19 tests are severely limited and only employed after certain criteria are met.  Regardless, the corona virus group is different to influenza. You can't detect COVID-19 by testing for the flu.

Still, I agree that COVID-19 was not prevalent before the new year. With how infectious it is, it would have quickly developed and spread, causing anomalous respiratory failures and other related issues.

Well, i know they do extra tests to try and find cause of pneumonia, so one would expect any unknown detected would've been investigated. My point is that pneumonia is investigated to find cause of pneumonia; so during heart of Winter if an 'unknown' had shown up further investigation may have detected COVID-19.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    59 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

My local Tesco express has been re-stocking paracetemol everyday since i first noticed early last week. There must've been 200 packets on shelf at 10 oclock this morn. Guess they're dripfeeding every day. With all this panic buying just wondering if some peeps are forgetting the smaller outlets and rushing to the large stores to have a panic?

Bought some today from local shop, more expensive but still there. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
    4 hours ago, Boro Snow said:

Sorry if this has been posted but a must watch he explains what it felt like to have covid 19

This to me was a great story in how to deal with the symptoms of COVID-19 and i would like to congratulate these two for sharing this video clip,i don't know the age of this couple but prob in there 60's and it was touch and go for him,what a great couple and are back in the UK

the message he sent across was adhering and people need to address this to other folk that are vulnerable and of an older age ,we know this now and how this virus works

so please people,adhere of the warnings/dangers to your elderly,i do not wish for the elderly to remain in isolation as this would lead to(i hope not)loneliness but if this saves lives then they must understand

42 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Great to see, Italian air-force trying to keep spirits up

just brilliant this and shows strength

we will all get through this

night.

• Like 4
    Posted
    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There's also been an ongoing shortage of ibuprofen for many months, empty shelves have been common since October:

744602191_Screenshot_20200314-234448_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.86ba3a9937b7a4e53135498909ec20d6.jpg

Tesco & Sainsburys have struggled for their own brand but the Co-op have always had their own brand in stock.

I also buy this from local shop, more expensive but so far still there. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
    1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Well, i know they do extra tests to try and find cause of pneumonia, so one would expect any unknown detected would've been investigated. My point is that pneumonia is investigated to find cause of pneumonia; so during heart of Winter if an 'unknown' had shown up further investigation may have detected COVID-19.

Sure, they test for the typical causes, so they are extra tests. However, they wouldn't have even had COVID-19 on the radar then. In a health system with a huge budget, they might be able to go after every single possible known and unknown cause, but that isn't the case in a system that prides itself on efficiency (I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's actually quite pragmatic). Why look for something that isn't even known about when there's many other common causes? That's a total waste of resources and time.
    A blood test or swab doesn't detect every possible anomaly or unknown, they look for specific features. In fact, there have been cases where patients have tested positive for influenza, but later had different tests done that showed they also had coronavirus. Some people think that there are a significant number of cases where people developed pneumonia due to COVID-19 but were only tested for influenza, and so that was considered the cause of death.
    Basically, it's a really messed up and complex situation. But there's very little to suggest widespread cases outside of China before the last 2 months, and much less that it could even have been detected.

• Like 1
    Posted
    58 minutes ago, emax said:

On this point though, are we sure they could of picked up COVID back in Dec/Jan/ early Feb? Why increase testing to hospitals patients now, if they routinely would of picked it up anyway?

My limited understanding (which may be wrong, so I'm happy to be corrected) is that dont they generally test for stuff they know about, but dont always pick up everything, particularly if its new? (ie blood tests for example are normally aimed at specific tests, rather than taking one sample and testing for every possible blood related problem etc)

Again, my stance on this is that its a minor minor chance, and just speculation, but I feel its something that cannot be completely ruled out.

Vwhen I ended up in hospital with the flu, they did a special culture blood test I'm not sure if that is standard or not, but if it is surely they would have seen, at the very least that the virus wasn't flu. Ie I think there is more than one type of culture test, as I'm sure they were discussing whether they should do a different one or not. Although I was out of it, so could have that wrong. 

Posted

It was just all very weird and I can’t shake the feeling.

i was super super sick - the illest I’ve ever been to the point I was genuinely frightened. My partner’s glands in her neck swelled up around the same time but otherwise no symptoms. She had blood tests but they couldn’t find a cause - just said it was likely viral. My dad has some kind of cold a few weeks later and ended up in hospital with viral pneumonia - they couldn’t specify which virus. Thankfully he got over it after being in hospital for a week or so.

To add to this my mum also had a dry racking cough just before Christmas but seemed to escape fairly lightly.

I saw my dad around New Year’s Day when I was still a bit unwell but able to drive again - the only thing that makes me think he didn’t catch anything off me was that he ended up in hospital around 4 weeks later - however we know this thing has a protracted ‘shelf life’ so to speak so who knows!

Edited by Azazel
    • Like 1
    50 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

In fact, there have been cases where patients have tested positive for influenza, but later had different tests done that showed they also had coronavirus. Some people think that there are a significant number of cases where people developed pneumonia due to COVID-19 but were only tested for influenza, and so that was considered the cause of death.
    Basically, it's a really messed up and complex situation. But there's very little to suggest widespread cases outside of China before the last 2 months, and much less that it could even have been detected.

Just been reading this, which backs up your comments. Its a long read, but basically an example of a patient in China who developed ARDS, but repeatedly tested negative for COVID. Apparently the doctor's persistence in testing due to the symptoms and travel history, lead to a final positive test of COVID. They suggest that (certainly in the early days at least) COVID is so similar to Influenza A that it could be mistaken for normal flu.

og-eid-logo-2.jpg
    WWWNC.CDC.GOV

Detection of SARS-CoV-2 can be difficult and patients can be co-infected with influenza A virus and COVID-19.

Then when you look at PHE weekly statement (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/870504/PHE_Influenza_Surveillance_graphs_2019_2020_week_10.pdf) , there was definitely a spike before and around Christmas for Influenza, but of course, that is meaningless really, particularly compared to previous years. It does at least prove that there definitely was a spike over Christmas, but nothing to say its in any way related to COVID 19, unless you take into account different strains/minor mutations/or whatever. Again, still just total conjecture!

Edited by emax
    • Like 1
    Posted

I must live in a different world    shops still full of stock    pubs still full of folk    and the wife in the spare bed  because of snoring      no change here 

• Like 3