Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dami said:

yes, but I think in these times support is a big thing. Yes looking up 'what next' isn't doing my anxiety any good, so as a community I look for support rather than a web page telling me 'not to panic'. 

I know you mean well and if you're not worried that's fine - having people to talk to and share troubles with i think helps. I'm certainly one of these types that feel better just writing down what I think.

Hi.  I'm sorry if it came across as a 'don't panic' post.  That wasn't my intention at all.  Having suffered from anxiety and depression and on a few occasions been away from work as a result I'm conscious of how stuff you can't control can overwhelm.  I am worried about where we are, but for me checking trusted news sources from  time to time and avoiding bombardment on the Internet is the way to go.  All the best.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Positive part of the statement as these guys will have info from 111 aswell

At this time the number of confirmed or suspected cases locally is very low and we continue to ask for the public’s support.”

Yep. Looks like it's a very isolated case which was always going to happen the positive with the UK over Italy is we seem to have done very well on the contact-tracing side Italy are rumored to have had a period of time (especially in the Lombardy region) where they missed lots of cases and it just spread out of control before they knew it.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Dami said:

yes, but I think in these times support is a big thing. Yes looking up 'what next' isn't doing my anxiety any good, so as a community I look for support rather than a web page telling me 'not to panic'. 

I know you mean well and if you're not worried that's fine - having people to talk to and share troubles with i think helps. I'm certainly one of these types that feel better just writing down what I think.

Thanks for saying this, I know some people weren't keen on the tone of my posts earlier but it has been nice to have a "safe place" to share my feelings on COVID-19, and when I read others thinking the same as me, it helps me when I know I am not alone in how I feel. I'm feeling much better now than I did earlier in the day, still tinged with sadness at everything going on but being more positive about it now. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

was just checking about Crucible Sheffield, still on as of now, but isn't the ban from next Friday? still be called off yet, certainly expecting no Wimbledon this year

World Snooker seem keen on playing without crowds - I think if the ban is still in place by the time the Championships happen, they'd rather play to empty rooms but still with a TV audience.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

World Snooker seem keen on playing without crowds - I think if the ban is still in place by the time the Championships happen, they'd rather play to empty rooms but still with a TV audience.

Wimbledon won't play with empty stands, they'll cancel it

Posted
37 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

The only way to clear this up is to do random testing of the population during the outbreak and compare to diagnosed cases. It would be really useful if the government tested 1000 people randomly every three days. If it were found far more people had the virus than the current confirmed cases showed, and hence the death rate was lower, then the public would be greatly calmed. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
56 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Good explanation of current strategy 

Interesting stuff!  While I think there's a fair amount of truth in what he says, it is a big gamble to wait until the jar is almost full because of the five day lag between catching the virus and developing symptoms - so by this argument I reckon the more extensive social distancing would need to be brought in at least five days before the jar was estimated to be full, rather than when it was already near breaking point.  Or we could progressively ramp them up over time (rather than bring in the whole lot at once as per Italy) to try and slow it down as it approaches the top, and I am guessing (though I don't know for sure) that the government is probably leaning more towards this last strategy.

The "herd immunity" strategy strikes me as a sensible long-term aim (looking forward a number of years rather than months), aiming for the more vulnerable to be vaccinated (I share the suspicions of some health experts that Covid-19 will probably evolve into something akin to a strain of influenza and end up being added to the standard annual flu jab) and for the virus to pass more freely around the less vulnerable, as happens presently with the flu.  It isn't a sensible short-term strategy, though, because we don't have a vaccine on the near horizon and so we'd end up killing off a lot of vulnerable people.  I am thinking/hoping that the person who came out with the "herd immunity" idea was thinking long-term.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Wimbledon won't play with empty stands, they'll cancel it

God no ! I need the French Open , Wimbledon and the Olympics otherwise they’ll be zip to look forward to in the summer .

• Like 1

Posted

There are still plenty of people now in Italy, Spain and a couple of other countries that are applauding outside their homes/balcony the nurses and the staff in the hospitals.

Something like that is so nice to see. It shows that you can still receive support for your hard work and through the darkest of times.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
24 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

was just checking about Crucible Sheffield, still on as of now, but isn't the ban from next Friday? still be called off yet, certainly expecting no Wimbledon this year

Players championship is still on next week as well in Llandudno

Posted
Just now, HighPressure said:

If there was a mysterious illness that early and it was indeed Covid  19 then the spread would have happened much earlier .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Steve Lookner

@lookner Report from ITV that people over 70 in the UK will be required to stay home, not go out, and have no visitors for 4 months

Posted

List of UK Areas now into double digits

Hampshire: 41    Southwark: 28     Kensington and Chelsea: 27     Lambeth: 25     Westminster: 24     Barnet: 23     Hertfordshire: 21     Oxfordshire: 21     Camden: 19     Ealing: 18     Surrey: 15     Brent: 14     Devon: 14     Sheffield: 13     Buckinghamshire: 13     Hackney and City of London: 11     Kent: 11     Greenwich: 10     Hammersmith and Fulham: 10     Harrow: 10     Hounslow: 10

BIG increase in Hampshire I think that place needs a close eye kept on   

Source:https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted

So this means surely that Euro 2020 will go ahead as planned right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I'm really getting annoyed now at the way this whole thing is being reported.  It's all very well to keep banging on about the number of new cases and the number of deaths, but how many are recovering?  There were two cases reported in Pembrokeshire six days ago but as there have been no deaths in Wales yet, I assume they are recovering or at least are off the danger list by now?  It would be far better if every case which recovered was taken off the list of known cases so the total didn't keep rising so dramatically.

Also, if people contract the virus and then self-isolate, and are never given a test before they recover, they will not be counted as a new case at all.  There might be many hundreds if not thousands of such cases which would make the fatality rate much lower than it currently appears.  

As with all data analysis - cr#p in, cr#p out. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, pip22 said:

Steve Lookner

@lookner Report from ITV that people over 70 in the UK will be required to stay home, not go out, and have no visitors for 4 months

What if they’re by themselves that would be awful . And is still awful regardless .

Will authorities be arranging food deliveries for those without family close by . What if they need social care?

Posted

Why is this still happening?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

List of UK Areas now into double digits

Hampshire: 41    Southwark: 28     Kensington and Chelsea: 27     Lambeth: 25     Westminster: 24     Barnet: 23     Hertfordshire: 21     Oxfordshire: 21     Camden: 19     Ealing: 18     Surrey: 15     Brent: 14     Devon: 14     Sheffield: 13     Buckinghamshire: 13     Hackney and City of London: 11     Kent: 11     Greenwich: 10     Hammersmith and Fulham: 10     Harrow: 10     Hounslow: 10

BIG increase in Hampshire I think that place needs a close eye kept on   

Source:https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

I'm in Hampshire although it's a big county and from what I gather there aren't any (confirmed) cases near here at the moment. I would worry if it takes off here here though as it has a huge elderly population along with the neighbouring Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole area.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
8 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

I'm really getting annoyed now at the way this whole thing is being reported.  It's all very well to keep banging on about the number of new cases and the number of deaths, but how many are recovering?  There were two cases reported in Pembrokeshire six days ago but as there have been no deaths in Wales yet, I assume they are recovering or at least are off the danger list by now?  It would be far better if every case which recovered was taken off the list of known cases so the total didn't keep rising so dramatically.

Also, if people contract the virus and then self-isolate, and are never given a test before they recover, they will not be counted as a new case at all.  There might be many hundreds if not thousands of such cases which would make the fatality rate much lower than it currently appears.  

As with all data analysis - cr#p in, cr#p out. 

Well only 18 have in fact recovered according to the figures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
13 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Steve Lookner

If that's accurate, hopefully the government has realised that there are a huge number of vulnerable people (diabetic, asthmatic, etc) under 70 as well. Are they going to be required to do the same thing? If not, why not? And what about the increasingly common situation where parents/grandparents over 70 and working-age children/grandchildren now share a house? All of this will need to be clearly explained before the rules kick in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
Just now, The PIT said:

Well only 18 have in fact recovered according to the figures.

Yeah, I suppose it's early days yet.  I was forgetting that in the UK our epidemic started later than most.  Still, I think it would be right to release recovered numbers at the same time as deaths....  I'm just tired of all the bad news now, and anything positive would be really welcome!