guidance

There are currently 21,157 cases 1,441 deaths 

512x384_DG.jpg
WWW.CORRIERE.IT

I dati della Protezione civile aggiornati al 14 marzo

Edited by Skullzrulerz

Posted
28 minutes ago, Zak M said:

So our government will do nothing to stop its population from catching a virus that might leave 20% of us with lung damage? 

I'm beyond angry, again. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: Italy report 3,497 new cases and 175 new deaths

Total 21,157 and 1,441 deaths

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

Hang on. The scientist advisers here have always said they'd recommend more restrictive measures when they felt it was right time. Their concern about more immediate lockdown, shutting public places, schools  etc was because of concerns over less infection first time around and then if it rears up in autumn/winter any 2nd wave would be much much worse. That is my understanding.

What if Wuhan lessens grip on isolation and cases suddenly begin to rise there again?

Then they will probably lockdown again I'm guessing, and do the whole thing again, as will all countries if the measure looks successful. Our assumption in this country is that is impossible...but given we are basically in a war time setting, things are somewhat different from normal and governments/people will manage. However, I do get the point, it really is difficult to imagine countries locking down for such a long time as maybe needed.

We will need to see how this goes, but my gut feeling is the inaction of last week will see death/case rate shoot up above the mean of other countries that have taken earlier action, and we will see that over the next 10 days in a soar of deaths/cases similar to Spain.

• Like 1

Posted

New deaths in Italy have fallen by 75 - 175 for today's update yesterday it was 250

New cases have increase by 932

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy report 3,497 new cases and 175 new deaths

Total 21,157 and 1,441 deaths

That is now at peak Wuhan levels!

Next week will be important, because if Italy turns a corner, then it should start to filter through in terms of reduced numbers next week. If it doesn't, then probably gives a huge boost to our governments policy.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

So our government will do nothing to stop its population from catching a virus that might leave 20% of us with lung damage? 

I'm beyond angry, again. 

It is going to happen so why not try and manage it?  No country really has the right easy answer. Being angry will only put your blood pressure up

• Like 2

Posted

Italy figures for the regions

• Lombardy 11,685 (+1,865)
  • Emilia Romagna 2,644 (+381)
  • Veneto 1,937 (+342)
  • Piedmont 873 (+33)
  • Marche 899 (+174)
  • Liguria 463 (+ 118)
  • Campania 272 (+52)
  • Tuscany 630 (+160)
  • Sicily 156 (+26)
  • Lazio 357 (+80)
  • Friuli-Venezia Giulia 301 (+44)
  • Abruzzo 112 (+23)
  • Puglia 166 (+37)
  • Umbria 107 (+31)
  • Bolzano 173 (+48)
  • Calabria 60 (+22)
  • Sardinia 47 (+4)
  • Valle d'Aosta 42 (+14)
  • Trento 206 (+43)
  • Molise 17 (-)
  • Basilicata 10 (-)

Posted
14 minutes ago, BeazleyBlizzard said:

A little thought from earlier. With regards to spain and italy suffering high numbers of cases and fatalities, do you think that their family culture could attribute to those numbers? England is known for not having the same kind of culture meaning contact between grandparents and the younger family isn't as great.  Just a though that could affect the outcome. 

This might  sound a bit crazy but the kissing culture . People that you wouldn’t kiss in the UK you kiss in places like Italy.

My families Cypriot and we kiss and hug a lot of people ! 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

New deaths in Italy have fallen by 75 - 175 for today's update yesterday it was 250

New cases have increase by 932

If you divide the number of today's deaths by how many minutes there are in a day (1440) then roughly a person in Italy would die roughly every 8 minutes. Very sad. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm beyond angry, again. 

Question is can the damage happen even with mild symptoms? I'm guessing no?

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

It is going to happen so why not try and manage it?  No country really has the right easy answer. Being angry will only put your blood pressure up

Indeed, you can disagree all you want with some facets of the policy (I don't actually disagree with some of their ideas, just the large gatherings IMO) but there isn;t a lot that can be done.

Regardless of whatever strategy we take I think its quite likely we are going to see 100,000+ deaths by the end of the year, so take your medicine and take your choice.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm beyond angry, again. 

So, what would you advise the course of action should be? Just wondering?

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

Sadly if we were to try to implement that it would cause mass looting and riots, something I alluded to at the very beginning of this thread. The disaffected youth of London and other areas would see an incredible opportunity to run amok. The army and police can't be everywhere to stop it. I think the government know this and want to avoid it.

But for me, the number one priority of a government is to keep its people safe. Keeping them alive is the first part of keeping them safe.

Sorry, but from my perspective, I couldn't really care less if the economy crashes, or if we need to call the army in, or if we need to go through this all over again in another lock down in the future - if all this means keeping people alive, to me, it's worth it. People can earn money again in the future, but they can't get their parents and grandparents back. 

Edit - just seen replies to my earlier comment - my personal opinion is complete lock down right now. It's been shown to stop the cases, and that's priority number 1 for me. Worry about what comes next after. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm beyond angry, again. 

They will bring in further measures as the crisis deepens. There is no positive answer at the moment as it is such a fluid situation. Also it's like being wounded, your lungs would heal overtime I guess. People should look at the damage of smoking and pollution. 2 things that are common in everyday life.  2 things that cost the NHS millions a year. 2 things that probably put you in the higher risk category. People can do a lot of things for themselves. I think the anger can be transferred into positive thinking on how we as a group of people can help others.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm beyond angry, again. 

Sorry but my anger and complete distain is currently channelled towards where this whole viral nightmare originated from.

• Like 8

Posted

Once again from WHO:

ADVICE FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH FROM WHO

"Minimize watching, reading or listening to news that causes you to feel anxious or distressed; seek information only from trusted sources and mainly to take practical steps to prepare your plans and protect yourself and loved ones. Seek information updates at specific times during the day, once or twice. The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports about an outbreak can cause anyone to feel worried" WHO: Mental Health and Psychosocial Considerations During COVID-19 Outbreak.

Important for everyone to remember this, if you feel too invested into it or its making you nervous/anxious, take some time away. Think that is an important message to remember.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, BeazleyBlizzard said:

They will bring in further measures as the crisis deepens. There is no positive answer at the moment as it is such a fluid situation. Also it's like being wounded, your lungs would heal overtime I guess. People should look at the damage of smoking and pollution. 2 things that are common in everyday life.  2 things that cost the NHS millions a year. 2 things that probably put you in the higher risk category. People can do a lot of things for themselves. I think the anger can be transferred into positive thinking on how we as a group of people can help others.

Despite my relative annoyance at some actions by the government, I remind myself that we are in a marathon.

To use all our options now is IMO too early, I do think we should have put a ban on large gatherings last weekend, but other even scricter things aren't yet needed IMO.

To use all your options now would be like to drink all your water and energy drinks for a marathon 16 steps into the race. Thats how far into the marathon  we are assuming roughly 10,000 cases.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

This might  sound a bit crazy but the kissing culture . People that you wouldn’t kiss in the UK you kiss in places like Italy.

My families Cypriot and we kiss and hug a lot of people ! 

I'm Scottish,  I kiss the dug more than the wife.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
32 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks is that to do with the viral load . I read a while back that the virus likes the nose especially to multiply because it’s cooler than other parts of the body .

Not sure but I've pasted a link at the bottom.

29 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Is this really legit? If it is, why isn't it being shared widely? 

27 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

I think it's time for folk to stop sharing the medical advice they find on facebook and such. Stick with official guidance please.

Bruce L. Davidson MD, MPH is a pulmonary physician and researcher in Seattle, an expert in respiratory transmission of infection, and former president of the National Tuberculosis Controllers Association and member of the Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/12/opinions/coronavirus-vulnerability-while-sleeping-bruce-davidson/index.html

I just thought it would be good to share extra info that may help in resisting the virus.

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Once again from WHO:

ADVICE FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH FROM WHO

"Minimize watching, reading or listening to news that causes you to feel anxious or distressed; seek information only from trusted sources and mainly to take practical steps to prepare your plans and protect yourself and loved ones. Seek information updates at specific times during the day, once or twice. The sudden and near-constant stream of news reports about an outbreak can cause anyone to feel worried" WHO: Mental Health and Psychosocial Considerations During COVID-19 Outbreak.

Important for everyone to remember this, if you feel too invested into it or its making you nervous/anxious, take some time away. Think that is an important message to remember.

One of the most sensible things posted in this thread.

If you are glued to 'BREAKING - X MORE CASES IN COUNTRY Y' type news reports as will inevitably be re-posted in thread or on Twitter etc like then you are undoubtedly not doing your mental health any favours. It also becomes very circular - you feel worried about the situation so you feel compelled to read more news stories about it which makes you even more worried and so you have to consume even more news about it etc...

As serious as it is, if you are worried about it I suggest taking a break from the news for a while. Go for a walk or a bike ride or pass some time doing one of you hobbies or something. Put restrictions on yourself on how long or what time of day you update yourself with the news.

To a certain extent what is going to happen is going to happen and there isn't that much that individuals can do about it (within reason obviously, if you feel ill and are coughing then it is probably a good idea to avoid intentionally spreading it around if you can).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted

What I still am not sure about .

I initially thought that once in the body the virus just multiplied anyway so the initial amount you were exposed to wouldn’t make a big  difference.

The inference from that doctor is that’s not the case . Is that what others understand or am I missing something .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2