Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes, and those are the ones that will lead to many thousands dying. I don't blame them per say, I blame the government for not putting in measures to help them. However, the greater good matters more than the individual on this one.

In your opinion! So far 10(already ill) people have died in the UK out of a population of 65million.

Shame its all a blame game now, not surprised though.

Your a teacher? It must be a comfort knowing that your salary will be paid in full for weeks on end if the authorities close schools.

Millions of others don't have that comfort blanket.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Jeeesus so we are still 6 to 8 weeks away from peak????

Oh my days....

Lockdown now please.

And can you imagine the figures in 6 to 8 weeks time,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
Just now, nick sussex said:

So I think it gives a good indication of the thinking in the government.

Money > Lives

This whole situation is getting depressing. Our health and well being should always be put first.

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Ryukai said:

Finally managed to catch up (took an hour and a half!!! >.< ) So now I'm going to post my 'I had to subject myself to public transport (aka busses) today' report so here we go!

On the bus to my exam there were 4 people coughing, one of which was sneezing into his hand and then wiping it on his trousers >< there was also a baby (somewhere between a 'baby' baby and a 'toddler' baby) that was red, sweaty and crying it's lungs out with the mother talking to the woman next to her about how she was taking her to the doctors to see if she could get in as an emergency to see the triage nurse because "she has ever such a fever" and she didn't bother to phone up first because they always make her wait for a return call.....................

................ *facepalms*

Then on the way back there was a guy sitting right at the front of the bus, in the seat directly behind the driver coughing so much it was a wonder he didn't start heaving his insides out, and didn't even bother to cover his mouth........

/sigh.....

And you broke your own personal bio-security right there! 

Best not to look to closely at personal hygiene on a bus, you'll never get on one ever again.  Use em regularly and they are my bete noire and the thing i blame for pretty much every bout of lurgy i've ever had.  My advice, sit at the very back so you avoid having someone coughing and sneezing sat behind you.  Or the very front.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Oh my days....

Lockdown now please.

In fairness, if you are that concerned about this, and you disagree sooo much with anything the government is doing, then why dont you stay in yourself? A lockdown is only going to contain people who arent worried about this, those who are worried can lock themselves down surely? Why would you wait for the government if you're that concerned?

Edited by emax
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Oh my days....

Lockdown now please.

Is it not better though to try and get to the peak in a controlled and manageable way?

For what it’s worth my view is that there was never going to be a way of stopping a big increase in case, indeed I believe earlier in the week Jenny Harries said there WILL be many thousands of cases in the UK.

I also think we can’t underestimate the behavioural aspect of this and how tough a job the Government has and will have in trying to keep us all on side before we see a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

In your opinion! So far 10(already ill) people have died in the UK out of a population of 65million.

This type of complacency is unwise. The same comments were muttered in Italy and China I bet.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Shame its all a blame game now, not surprised though.

Your a teacher? It must be a comfort knowing that your salary will be paid in full for weeks on end if the authorities close schools.

Millions of others don't have that comfort blanket.

I'm not sure who else would be to blame if people die because they have caught it from someone who hasn't listened to the advice of the government? If that will be the attitude of people, we will all get lock downed like Italy anyway eventually and the whole thing will be a mute point.

I'm indeed in the public sector, but my wife is self employed, so I do understand that problem, however if she gets ill, she needs to stay at home and it will just have to be ridden out

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, emax said:

In fairness, if you are that concerned about this, and you disagree sooo much with anything the government is doing, then why dont you stay in yourself? A lockdown is only going to contain people who arent worried about this, those who are worried can lock themselves down surely? Why would you wait for the government if you're that concerned?

Im kind of repeating what doctors in Italy are saying...

6 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Money > Lives

This whole situation is getting depressing. Our health and well being should always be put first.

Just to put some perspective on that, economic crashes/problems etc do lead to more deaths. So although I wouldnt like to say which is the route to go for, please dont think that the economy has no effect on health/deaths, and more so in the working age vs the elderly.

Posted

This is a great graph to show roughly where we are in relation to the rest of the world:

image.thumb.png.8efbe7e4484bf5f2a24eaac220dcba90.png

Looks like we are on a broadly similar path to France/Germany. It is a .logarithmic scale by the way, so the bend is more a function that the disease isn't spreading fast enough to keep exponential growth. 

• Like 1

Posted

Another thing to consider for the government... if the UK becomes the only government in Europe not locking down in some way, then before long the UK will get to the top of the cases confirmed table. 

That will also create panic and social disorder. 

Surely best to keep in step with our neighbours at very least? 

• Like 7

Posted
58 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I just don't get why this idea is being accepted uncritically. China have more or less stopped it - why not us? 

Need to see what happens when the relax measures.  That is clearly happening now to some extent as i'm again being spamed by Chinese chemical manufacturers after a few weeks off.

Also - a note of caution with China's current figures, they reverted to the old measure, the one they were using prior to the big spike, so case #'s have to be confirmed by test. May mean there are a number of unidentified cases again.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Just to put some perspective on that, economic crashes/problems etc do lead to more deaths. So although I wouldnt like to say which is the route to go for, please dont think that the economy has no effect on health/deaths, and more so in the working age vs the elderly.

I kind of think unfortunately the economy is rather stuffed whatever we do, there is a reason why the stock markets have tanked quite so severely day after day.

No doubt this leads to a recession, its just how deep that ends up becoming and how long this last for.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Doing nothing is apparently doing a good job then.

That flight ban is just petty politics.

• Like 8

Posted
5 minutes ago, emax said:

Have a look at the market tickers emax, think that ship has sailed?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Govt local elections to be delayed.

Posted

King and Queen of Spain are getting tested for the coronavirus.

Good to know that they think the peak will be April-May according to the current estimates, that will allow some mental fortitude to develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Apologies, if already posted. The DCMO explains the reasons for not shutting down large gatherings and sports events from about 3:00 onwards. I hope she's right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I kind of think unfortunately the economy is rather stuffed whatever we do, there is a reason why the stock markets have tanked quite so severely day after day.

No doubt this leads to a recession, its just how deep that ends up becoming and how long this last for.

Oh yeh, definitely, world economies have taken a massive hit, and will cause problems for a fair while (which is annoying really, because the market crashes are not completely due to this virus). I'm just suggesting its still a fine line, and if you can help the economy as much as possible, for as long as possible, it all helps.

Just look at airlines for example. Many are now laying off hundreds or thousands of workers (a lot are contractors, mostly mechanics etc) because of the economic impacts)

Posted
34 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

The COBRA meeting finished 1hr ago. Are they having afternoon tea before they announce the outcome?

Well I expect they had a bit of a lie in this morning as well. Easy to post on here when most don’t have anything better to do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
37 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes pretty much seems to be the case Nick.

I'm more interested to see what happens with regards to gatherings.

Also, what happens to Scotland's schools? Because some of them are above 500 and in theory that is a gathering of more than 500? Not sure a huge amount of thought has gone into that idea there!

Nicola S explains in press conference  that it is events that need emergency service resources, so large football or rugby matches. They won't go ahead as those resources will be needed elsewhere. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

It's good that they are trying to protect the elderly but I'm not sure how effective the latest measures will be. I get the impression that many will carry on as normal going out shopping and to their activities. My elderly mother,89 years old is still quite active but has COPD and asthma. She seems to think it's 'just one of those things' that won't happen to her. No doubt she's not the only one!

• Like 1