Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
12 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If you’re only testing those who end up in hospital then your confirmed cases aren’t likely to increase as much .

In which case the public might think it’s been overblown . On the other hand panic might not set in.

Problem is some degree of panic is needed otherwise people might be less likely to take precautions.

Case fatality rates are difficult to establish in that situation.

It would be important to get a demographically representative sample at different points to establish a more accurate picture .

This is also important in developing future strategies to combat virus spreads .

What  really matters in terms of judging whether a governments actions have worked or not are the deaths reported proportionate to the size of the population and comparing that to other countries.

Because at the end of the day saving as many lives as possible should be all that matters .

Basically agree with everything - certainly line 3, The only thing about line 7 though is not all governments have the same tools at their disposal and are faced with differing cultures - ie- travel to and from different countries at different times  and also age groups / smoking / lifestyle etc so it isn't an exact science in judging effectiveness.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I mean quite clearly the football needs to stop, so many people and players are getting suspected disease, maybe my worry about big social gathering maybe irrelevant anyway at this rate!

I think these cases popping up everywhere and in all walks of life suggest that any reporting of confirmed cases is vastly under reporting those .

And does anyone ever remember normal flu season effecting things to this extent .

Clearly anyone in the public who shrugs this off and thinks it’s just like the flu is in complete denial .

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

So out of our neighbours: Ireland, France and Belgium are all closing schools & universities. The Netherlands is closing universities but not schools.  

It'll be interesting to compare how their outbreaks proceed compared to the UK. This will be used as valuable evidence in future epi/pandemics no doubt.

Portugal also shutting schools according to media 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

This might need rethinking now

Screenshot_20200312-222526_Sky Sports.jpg

Thats now 3 teams that are at risk of not being able to play.

This is a joke, even with the government being slow as a slug stopping mass events, its time for the Premier league to step up and know that this is a losing battle.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

This might need rethinking now

Screenshot_20200312-222526_Sky Sports.jpg

It'll have to - Arsenal players will have to self isolate for one so that's their game gone

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Basically agree with everything - certainly line 3, The only thing about line 7 though is not all governments have the same tools at their disposal and are faced with differing cultures - ie- travel to and from different countries at different times  and also age groups / smoking / lifestyle etc so it isn't an exact science in judging effectiveness.

That’s a good point Feb. Yes you’d factor that in .

Guest Delete Me

Some International updates:

• 198 total cases and 4 deaths in California.
  • 13 confirmed cases in total in Québec, previously was 9 this morning:
  • 3 new cases in Kansas, bringing total to 4
  • Canada’s total: 141 (138 confirmed, three presumptive; nine cases resolved)
  • Estonia now has 27 confirmed cases and community spread
  • 3 new cases in Oregon raise state tally to 24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Hey guys

i am literally exhausted after reading this thread today,slash that,two threads with one closed due to the pandemic thread starting,oh boy "PANDEMIC",that word sounds frightening!

just want to touch on the counts/cases bit,now if we have symptoms we have to isolate now without calling 111 so how are the cases going to verify/tally up from this unless it's a serious illness,what i am saying is that if we have minor symptoms we are fine?,and only severe cases get recorded by the nhs that test the people in hospital or ICU

there is an incubation period that may have no symptoms for the first 3-4 days and we carry on as if we are normal but may spread the virus,do we lock our self's in because we don't know if we have got the virus or not

this is scary stuff

going to work every day gets more anxious and constantly looking at other employees for symptoms but may have it even if they look normal,i don't want to work and nobody doe's but i have to,how much can one take to realize the situation,i am 47 and had no medical issues but i am seriously worried about his one

what i do hope though that the strain that has passed through so many is that of a weaker one and i hope this is the case.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

just want to touch on the counts/cases bit,now if we have symptoms we have to isolate now without calling 111 so how are the cases going to verify/tally up from this unless it's a serious illness,what i am saying is that if we have minor symptoms we are fine?,and only severe cases get recorded by the nhs that test the people in hospital or ICU

Unfortunately soon there maybe so many cases we won't be counting it by cases, but deaths instead, because with deaths we will still have a comparison to before those changes were made. For example if our cases only go up slowly but we get a lurch up in deaths, its probably a safe assumption that the cases in reality have also shot up.

• Like 3

Guest Delete Me

BREAKING: Estonia declares state of emergency, closes schools, and bans public gatherings due to corona virus

BREAKING: Belgium closes all schools, bars, and restaurants due to coronavirus and bans all recreational events regardless of size

Bear in mind Belgium are close to us in terms of spread.

Edited by Delete Me

Posted

Suspend the PL and finish the games in the summer.

Euro 2020 is likely to be postponed so that should give them time now .

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

BREAKING: Estonia declares state of emergency, closes schools, and bans public gatherings due to corona virus

BREAKING: Belgium closes all schools, bars, and restaurants due to coronavirus and bans all recreational events regardless of size

Bear in mind Belgium are close to us in terms of spread.

So now its just the UK and Germany that are keeping their education systems going?

Our advisors will either have scored a great hit or deserve to be fired afterwards...think truth be told its going to be difficult for even closed down countries to stop his now, in that case I suppose there is logic in keeping it open as per the reasoning given earlier on...

Just hard to take when you are the outlier country!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Paul Faulkner said:

Ohio Department of Health believes 100,000 Ohioans are carrying corona virus - Would not surprise me.

They've only had 5 actual cases diagnosed! Jeez that is insane if true...goes to show how poor their testing has been over there, really did let it get out of control!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

So now its just the UK and Germany that are keeping their education systems going?

Our advisors will either have scored a great hit or deserve to be fired afterwards...

Strange day. You'd have thought most countries in Europe would see things the same way. 

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me
Just now, kold weather said:

They've only had 5 actual cases diagnosed! Jeez that is insane if true...goes to show how poor their testing has been over there, really did let it get out of control!

Aye and the fact that the UK has used more tests in 4 weeks than the US have in total at their disposal shows how ill prepared they are.

Trump is still slashing the CDC budget too

Posted
Just now, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Very interesting development, seems like its starting to spread through public facing people more rapidly now.

Also, I think its fair to say that reflects what alot of people think at the moment with regards to social distancing.

Posted
13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Thats now 3 teams that are at risk of not being able to play.

This is a joke, even with the government being slow as a slug stopping mass events, its time for the Premier league to step up and know that this is a losing battle.

Maybe the government has realised that events will naturally overtake any timetable of theirs and will thus prevent them being seen as the architects of the drastic measures to come.

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Strange day. You'd have thought most countries in Europe would see things the same way. 

It really does remind me of those ECM and GFS beast from east battles which seems to go right down to the wire still disagreeing with each other!

I do wonder whether we are still taking a somewhat economic approach to things, as are Germany. It'd make sense given the GDP's of both countries. But that maybe reading far too much into it.

Posted
1 minute ago, Gael_Force said:

Maybe the government has realised that events will naturally overtake any timetable of theirs and will thus prevent them being seen as the architects of the drastic measures to come.

That really would be very clever sleight of hand, especially as the prem bosses did meet the government within the last 48hrs, and the government obviously gave them the go ahead to carry on playing matches in front of crowds.