Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But i have felt really bad with flu before but never called 999, The most severe flu i ever had when i was about 18, my mom thought it was meningitis and she nearly called an ambulance, but every other time i have had the flu, as horrendous as i felt, i didn't think i was going to die so didn't phone an ambulance, but now you could feel really bad with this virus but you are not necessarily going to die, so does the threashold of severity of symptoms you phone an ambulance now change because it could be COVID -19.

I had gastric flu once, around 1990. I had a severe chest infection, coughed so much it made my cry, not to mention the dry heaving and the 'other end'. I was in so much pain I just lay and wished myself dead...I couldn't even talk to say how bad i felt....'that' is real flu, not just a snotty nose.

If folk with covid 19 get symptoms as severe, i would say get to a hospital, as I should have that time.....but hospitals are dangerous places at the minute.

Worse comes to worst, i still have half a bottle of morphine left from my operation, which would help to ease some pain...it's in reserve

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Joneseye said:

Link please

23disceylandSUn-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The 65-year-old theme park in Anaheim, Calif., has suspended operations on only three prior occasions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think I understand that there may not be the resources for testing, but I think we need to keep up a decent level of testing outside of the severe cases, it will give an indication of whether the models the govt are using are accurate or not, otherwise we are totally flying blind and may have clusters blow up and not have the time to deal with it and get on top of it. As you may know from the weather models, the more data you have, the more accurate the models become.

The other thing is this is NOT the flu, it is more severe, you can't blame people for being overly careful about something we still don't know much about.

Oh I totally agree with the testing. It would certainly help to ascertain how the plan is currently working, and also "could" help to lower the death rate. I mean they have said they're upping the tests, so time will tell on whether thats through regular testing, or simply just on hospitalised patients. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, emax said:

No lol???? I've just stated that the threshold hasnt changed, and you've just illustrated it for me. Feeling really bad with flu can mean different things to different people.

Breathing difficulties is at least one of the thresholds surely?

I always have breathing difficulties when i get flu and even sometimes with just a bad cold - smoked all my life and always unheatlthy, plus i always take too many painkillers because of the aches and pains because i just cannot take the pain, and that tends to affect my breathing as well.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I had gastric flu once, around 1990. I had a severe chest infection, coughed so much it made my cry, not to mention the dry heaving and the 'other end'. I was in so much pain I just lay and wished myself dead...I couldn't even talk to say how bad i felt....'that' is real flu, not just a snotty nose.

If folk with covid 19 get symptoms as severe, i would say get to a hospital, as I should have that time.....but hospitals are dangerous places at the minute.

Worse comes to worst, i still have half a bottle of morphine left from my operation, which would help to ease some pain...it's in reserve

I think I've had normal flu and swine flu once each. The normal flu was the worst for sure, two years ago and it really knocked me totally out. I wasn't quite severe enough for a trip to hospital, but my breathing wasn't great, and looking back by trying to power through it I probably prolonged my recovery time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I always have breathing difficulties when i get flu and even sometimes with just a bad cold - smoked all my life and always unheatlthy, plus i always take too many painkillers because of the aches and pains because i just cannot take the pain, and that tends to affect my breathing as well.

Well if you genuinely struggle to breath when you get the flu (and I dont mean slightly out of breath, I mean actually struggling to breath) then you really should of gone to hospital, or at least the docs afterwards if nothing else.

Bare in mind your case wont be the same for everyone. Someone who doesnt have regular breathing problems, will know when they have breathing problems!

Edited by emax
  • Like 3

Posted

Ok just to highlight the problem with keeping football going (not to mention all manner of other events) I decided to have a look at a group with a higher risk (over 65s).

A study I looked at estimated that match going fans over 65 average about 6-7% of the stadium. Given average attendence throughout the league last of year of around 38,000 (it will be higher this year thanks partly to Tottenham's new stadium) that means roughly 2400 people who would be in a higher risk bracket. Then obviously times that by 10 for a normal weekend (I know it won't be, because some will be cancelled due to players infected) and you've got 24,000 at risk people from one set of sporting events.

Of course they may not catch it, but thats quite a lot of people in one hit to be at risk, and they will be likely to interact with many others on the journey home (many use trains/buses) will also mean they will be interacting with others who maybe in a higher risk category.

You can quickly see how the web can expand...seems rather a large gamble...and I've not included any other sports such as Rugby, nor ANY of the other 80 or so clubs throghout the leagues, or semi pro clubs, or any other sporting or music events that maybe happening...

Just seems a rather big gamble to be taking to me.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A flight from China with medical experts and 31 tonnes of medical supplies has touched down at Rome Leonardo da Vinci Fiumicino Airport after a 12-hour flight from Shanghai.

The flight has medical equipment including masks and ventilators 

I must admit, despite my feelings about China and their way of life, you have to applaud them for trying to help.

Anyone know if any countries closer to Italy, including UK, have sent any help to them? I suspect they probably have and we just havent heard about it, but if they havent, then it flies in the face of the open borders theory. We're all in it together, until you get it, then you're on your own.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

I believe the pm has used the best tools he has at his disposal and given the UK the best fighting chance as one man can make, like all of us he has family friends that fall in the 1% so a  decision like this is huge for him and us all. We must take heed and follow the plan laid out for us all ( right or wrong ) its a good plan, its the best one ive heard so far it has common sense and i like common sense.

Its going to be a heart breaking event for us all.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Hardcore

I think we will EVENTUALLY get to that point as well, especially when the figures really ramp up, probably some point in April if they can drag it out that long, all roads lead to the same place in the end, lockdown, army mobilizations and huge resources into health services.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest map showing the total proportion of population infected. Up from 0.025% for Iceland this morning to 0.032% now. Increasing by 1/4 each day, we can expect a country to hit 1% before the end of the month, and 5% in the first week of April.

COVID19_12_3_20_9pm.thumb.png.1d283e5c60b0696e7f9c0b7373072da5.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Latest map showing the total proportion of population infected. Up from 0.025% for Iceland this morning to 0.032% now. Increasing by 1/4 each day, we can expect a country to hit 1% before the end of the month, and 5% in the first week of April.

Interesting that western Europe is more affected than the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
46 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

These tweets are not accurate either. The F1 racing isn't going ahead, but the event is. It isn't just F1 that takes place at Albert Park.

Posted
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

San Marino must have a pretty shot at getting to 1% sooner rather than later, given its population of 33,000 and already 70 cases and right next to Italy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
Just now, kold weather said:

San Marino must have a pretty shot at getting to 1% sooner rather than later, given its population of 33,000 and already 70 cases and right next to Italy.

I left out most of the smaller countries as they'll skew things and aren't visible on the map. Vatican City is already at 0.1% - 1 case for 1,000 population.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

in Dec 2010 i had influenza B and do not not want to feel like that again it was awful, the fever was awful and felt Disoriented bloody awful

• Like 2

Posted

Life is natural death is natural, viruses are natural.

mother nature isn't interested in blame, just balance.

If we think that overpopulating and polluting the world is fine and we can all live to a long age, then think again.

Perhaps not this one, but she is watching, very closely...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

So out of our neighbours: Ireland, France and Belgium are all closing schools & universities. The Netherlands is closing universities but not schools.  

It'll be interesting to compare how their outbreaks proceed compared to the UK. This will be used as valuable evidence in future epi/pandemics no doubt.

• Like 1

Posted

If you’re only testing those who end up in hospital then your confirmed cases aren’t likely to increase as much .

In which case the public might think it’s been overblown . On the other hand panic might not set in.

Problem is some degree of panic is needed otherwise people might be less likely to take precautions.

Case fatality rates are difficult to establish in that situation.

It would be important to get a demographically representative sample at different points to establish a more accurate picture .

This is also important in developing future strategies to combat virus spreads .

What  really matters in terms of judging whether a governments actions have worked or not are the deaths reported proportionate to the size of the population and comparing that to other countries.

Because at the end of the day saving as many lives as possible should be all that matters .

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

So out of our neighbours: Ireland, France and Belgium are all closing schools & universities. The Netherlands is closing universities but not schools.  

It'll be interesting to compare how their outbreaks proceed compared to the UK. This will be used as valuable evidence in future epi/pandemics no doubt.

For sure, if we are right then those countries will have gone through alot of trouble with very little to show other than probably a 2nd wave.

If we are wrong, then the medical advice team have probably led a hundred thousand people to their doom. 

I wouldn't like to make any calls who is right!

Herd immunisation will need around 50-60% to be exposed from wht I've heard with this virus, so if we get this wrong, 1% of that group is quite a drastic amount of people!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather