Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
    1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Unfortunately my cough is still here. It's not the worst in the world but I'm not going to chance it given I was with someone who had symptoms in Friday and the incubation timing fits far too neatly.

Splendid isolation...joy...

Sorry to hear that mate. Take it easy. 

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Quite true. But, it needs to stop.

All they're doing is causing shortages so the people who really do need these items, can't get them. What about the elderly? Are they not entitled to loo rolls? And given that the elderly are most at risk, I find it so selfish that people are stockpiling hand gel, thus meaning that the elderly go without. Very selfish and narrowminded.

We also have to consider that prices will rise, which place those that are less wealthy, in more hardship.

Do these people really believe that all supermarkets will close down? it will never happen.

I think the 'Silver Hour' being introduced led by Iceland and now Sainsburys is an excellent idea and should in my view be made law in emergency legislation to include all essential shops whereby from say 7.30am to 9.00am all shops only serve those over 65. 

Eventually this could become a click and collect service as things get more strict and to limit contact within the shops themselves, the elderly can then either order online for delivery or collection and for those who cannot access online a list given to the shop one morning and collected/delivered the next. 

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

Shops here even worse than ever today. Tesco has no bread or milk even. Went in 15 mins after opening. There was toilet roll in people's trolley but none left. Not sure about elderly getting first hour. Wont help if there is nothing there. Also families will be sending elderly out to clear shelves if they have been stocked over night. For me supermarkets are now one of the biggest transfer risks and more time is being spent there, in crowds, to find goods.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
    1 minute ago, SnowBear said:

I think the 'Silver Hour' being introduced led by Iceland and now Sainsburys is an excellent idea and should in my view be made law in emergency legislation to include all essential shops whereby from say 7.30am to 9.00am all shops only serve those over 65. 

Eventually this could become a click and collect service as things get more strict and to limit contact within the shops themselves, the elderly can then either order online for delivery or collection and for those who cannot access online a list given to the shop one morning and collected/delivered the next. 

1 minute ago, SnowBear said:

Yes, see my post. If they can deal with the internet click and collect should be used only for elderly and thus keep them out of shops.

• Like 2
    Posted
    francisco-garcia.png
    WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

A 21-year-old Spanish football coach has died from coronavirus, having been suffering from a form of leukaemia.

Did not know he had leukaemia until after corona diagnosis...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
    1 minute ago, beatpete said:
    francisco-garcia.png
    WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

A 21-year-old Spanish football coach has died from coronavirus, having been suffering from a form of leukaemia.

At first I was shocked when I saw his age, but with Leukaemia, it isn't at all surprising.

Very sad indeed.

• Like 2
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, beatpete said:
    francisco-garcia.png
    WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Because of the power of the internet to make even just one story go viral, this perception of the young being safe from COVID-19 is not going to age well. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
    1 hour ago, daz_4 said:

Our government failed spectacularly. They did absolutely nothing in January. Now, in the middle of the pandemic, they realized they have no face masks, desinfection and only 10 000 respirators in state reserves. We can't go out without a face mask but you can't even buy them anywhere so we have to make them ourselves.

Don't be too hard on them.  Where are you going to get 50,000,000 face masks made in 6 weeks?  I suppose if a meteor destroyed Prague or Paris some people would still be saying "Our government should have been prepared for this.....".   I imagine everyone is dong their best to catch up but you can't plan for every catastrophe.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some up-to-date real information regarding Ibuprofengate:

_111330863_gettyimages-891341512.jpg
    WWW.BBC.CO.UK

We fact-check claims about ibuprofen that have circulated across social media.

PS: Ibuprofen is just about the only over-the-counter NSAID still in stock!

• Like 2
    Posted

Fairly sizeable jump in Israel and Australia today in terms of official reported cases. Luxembourg also up over 25%.

Starting to see more and more cases outside the European hotspot.

• Like 1
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Because of the power of the internet to make even just one story go viral, this perception of the young being safe from COVID-19 is not going to age well. 

Will the cause of death be recorded as C-19 or leukaemia?  What I mean by this is, would he have lived if he hadn't been suffering from leukaemia?  I wonder how many deaths will be attributed to C-19 which were perhaps at least 50% due to other previously existing or underlying conditions.   

Posted
    Just now, Sky Full said:

Will the cause of death be recorded as C-19 or leukaemia?  What I mean by this is, would he have lived if he hadn't been suffering from leukaemia?  I wonder how many deaths will be attributed to C-19 which were perhaps at least 50% due to other previously existing or underlying conditions.   

I believe Germany for example has quite a strict measure with regards to whether its counted as Covid 19 death or not, I think thats a large part as to why Germany's death-case ratio is so low. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
    3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

T

The only other thing I will say is, sneezing, is NOT a presentation of Covid. So while I am not saying that Covid is not present in this care home, sneezing is not an indication. If someone presents with sneezing, it will almost certainly be a cold

Thing is though, when you first get flu, there is no sneezing, but because i know its likely to be a flu or cold type illness, i then buy  lockets, which in turn makes me sneeze, this virus starts with a sore throat so first instinct is lockets, some people may take lempsip when they get fever, this the loosens chest.

Posted
    10 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Some up-to-date real information regarding Ibuprofengate:

_111330863_gettyimages-891341512.jpg
    WWW.BBC.CO.UK

We fact-check claims about ibuprofen that have circulated across social media.

PS: Ibuprofen is just about the only over-the-counter NSAID still in stock!

There's some confusion, with NHS Wales advising against.... Still current advice (a friend is in the public relations team) .....yet some back tracking from other agencies..... 

spacer.png
    WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Health officials have changed their guidance on the popular anti-inflammatory tablets in the wake of the Covid-19 outbreak

Edited by beatpete
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

An infectious disease expert who has been advising Boris Johnson and the government is now self isolating after developing symptoms of coronavirus.

Confirming the news on Twitter, Professor Neil Ferguson said that coronavirus is rife in Westminster.

Ferguson, the director of J-IDEA and the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, posted on Wednesday: “Developed a slight dry but persistent cough yesterday and self isolated even though I felt fine. Then developed high fever at 4am today.”

“There is a lot of Covid-19 in Westminster,” he added.

WWW.HUFFINGTONPOST.CO.UK

• Like 4
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I am surprised it is being scrutinized and doubted so much. It is obvious that NSAID's such as Ibuprofen should not be prescribed in the presentation of fever.

In viruses such as these, fever is beneficial and allows the immune system to work more effectively.

But don't both aspirin and paracetamol also suppress fevers?

• Like 3
    Posted

Sounds like London is becoming something of a hot spot at the moment, hardly surprising given that will be having the highest influence of incoming travelers from Europe over the past few weeks and is more generally quite densely populated.

• Like 1
    Posted

Thanks @matty007!:oldgood:

Posted

A lot of Parisiens apparently have escaped to their second homes in the sw of France leading to public anger and placards going up telling them to go home as they’ve come from a virus hotspot .

At the best of times this anti Paris sentiment is there because a lot do have second homes which they normally use at holidays .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Ant And Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is going ahead this weekend without a live studio audience.

• Like 2
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, matty007 said:

If you have a high fever, it is the hypothalamus portion of your brain intentionally making you feel cold, so you apply more layers/wriggle to make yourself warmer. This raises body temperature, and thus, makes the body a more uncomfortable environment for the virus to exist in. It also allows more white blood cells to be dispersed to fight infection.

Really interesting, starting to feel a little like that but not too bad as of yet.

A rapid test would be such a game changer for everyone and would cut down a huge amount of false alarms.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
    47 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I really shouldn't try and diagnose on the net, but I care about people and can't help it sometimes.

I will just ask one question, do you happen to know what her tempreture was?

Then maybe stop doing it 

• Like 3
    Posted

Here are my musings for the morning.....

I watched in amazement this morning as a Welsh couple, recently having returned home from a quarantined cruise ship, related their story.   They were not displaying symptoms when they returned home so they were initially allowed to go out.  Then they were tested for the virus and found to be positively infected.  They were told to self-isolate.  

However, at no time before or since have they felt in any way ill or displayed any of the commonly reported symptoms of the virus.  They both feel well and are going about their lives as normal albeit not going out yet.

Now this isn't the first case of people being tested positive without showing symptoms - Idris Elba being probably the highest profile person with the same experience.  So this begs a very big question - are there in fact many tens of thousands of people around who have contracted the virus and yet displayed no symptoms and felt no ill effects?  

Only those with serious illness requiring hospitalisation are being tested and all those who are self-isolating at home are missing the net so the number of known cases is already highly inaccurate.  But what if the majority of people can catch this virus and not even know it?  No country has been randomly testing the whole population so we don't know if if there are others out there unknowingly carrying the virus.  This would render the current thinking about % mortality rates completely over estimated.  What's more, if it's true, the policy of locking down a country and creating an economic disaster lasting several years will come to be seen as complete folly.

It just goes to prove that we know so little about this virus it is pointless to criticise any specific policy to combat it - yet.  Until all the facts become clear all of the strategies adopted could be right, or they could all be wrong.  It's too soon to know.

Edited by Sky Full
    • Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
    3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Ant And Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is going ahead this weekend without a live studio audience.

lucky escape for the audience

• Like 9