Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

10 minutes ago, emax said:

Human trials wont start till June/July, so its not a given by any means. Still a tall order to have a usable vaccine ready for everyone by the Autumn. I'm not saying it isnt possible, but with several other vaccines being developed, and imminently going onto monkey/human trials (USA already started human trials), its a bit too early to be saying Germany will save the day lol.

I said hopefully they will not they will. I think it's just the country in question that is ahead that is triggering some. Sad. 

• Like 1
Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Onding said:

This BBC article goes into more depth regarding the first human trials. Whilst encouraging, and not trying to be a party pooper, the line that commanded my attention was "But even if these initial safety tests go well, it could still take up to 18 months for any potential vaccine to become available for the public."

There's a long way to go yet but it is pleasing to see such determination and will from scientists to fast-track a vaccine to beat this. Baby steps!

Posted at the same time haha.

Yeh, most scientists say up to 18 months for these things, but I suspect they're covering themselves a bit. It'll probably be a fair bit quicker, but if they said it'll be ready in 6 months, and it wasnt, they'd be shot down and probably sued left right and centre! In these unprecedented times, I should imagine Autumn is doable, but very unlikely.....who knows. We cant compare it to other vaccines really, because nothing like this has happened with the current medical and scientific expertise the world currently has, so you'd be surprised what can be accomplished (if its deemed necessary)

• Like 3
Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Like when I was walking to work the number of coughs I noticed from the few people that were out. Normally it wouldn't get your attention.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heatwaves and electrical storms, and fidgid Arctic type winters
    1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

I was in the garden this afternoon and digging around in the soil and compost. I have an allegy to moulds and I was coughing after digging. Needless to say I was a bit worried but it subsided soon after. I think all of us anxious folk need to chill out a bit. As I have said before, exercise is the key for me and having cycled 16km today, done some gardening and walked the dog I'm ready for a good night's sleep.

Having said that, I keep waking at almost exactly 0330 and have great difficulty getting back off to sleep again due to clock watching, then I want to sleep as getting up time approaches. It doesn't happen on weekends so I'm baffled. I have late starts for the next three days so I'll see how it goes with a chance to stay in bed for a bit longer.

Spikecollie, you certainly don't need to worry, a 16km cycle shows your remarkably fit... I used to do 20 mile rides 6 days a week, coupled with weights 5 days a week up until my late 30s..I'm now 46, and do around 5 weights sessions a week and about an hour of cardio weekly, so I'm feeling pretty fit and ready for any attack... But mentally maybe not so much. ?

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
    1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Like when I was walking to work the number of coughs I noticed from the few people that were out. Normally it wouldn't get your attention.

I'm always a bit wary of people who are obviously cold infected but never bother about an odd cough or sneeze. Now, I turn away immediately and wait for the culprit to depart!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Hopefully the virus by 18 months has mutated into a less virulent strain. It needs to survive and killing hosts isn't a good survival move so nature should make it less virulent.

• Like 1
    4 minutes ago, Donegal said:

I said hopefully they will not they will. I think it's just the country in question that is ahead that is triggering some. Sad. 

Bored of people's politics now, sorry. Simply pointing out there are several other vaccines out there, and on face value at least, USA is miles ahead of anyone. If facts are deemed as political, then I humbly apologise!

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Spikecollie, you certainly don't need to worry, a 16km cycle shows your remarkably fit... I used to do 20 mile rides 6 days a week, coupled with weights 5 days a week up until my late 30s..I'm now 46, and do around 5 weights sessions a week and about an hour of cardio weekly, so I'm feeling pretty fit and ready for any attack... But mentally maybe not so much. ?

Yes, I'm pretty proud of my body for a 54 year old! I have used the hills around here as my "green gym" for running and cycling and they provide perfect interval training. I wasn't always like this but now I respect my body and love how it feels to be fit and healthy. No one knows though, what this affliction could do to them.

Keep up the good work for your body, our health and fitness is all we have got against this (as I keep saying) "thing that has come among us". Stocks of toilet paper won't hack it!

BTW: unlike two days go, OH reports that the local Sainsbury's was totally devoid of stock. Everything from meat and pasta to bog roll. He talked to a senior staff member who said it was crazy but that they restock every night just to be stripped again the next day. Where could all the meat be going? Have people bought extra freezers and put them in their garages? I think there is a lot of wastage going on and that is shameful...

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Entire continent of Europe is now officially has Covid-19 now as Montenegro report it's first case. So not one European country have escaped this crisis.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/montenegro-reports-first-case-of-corona-virus-infection

Edited by pip22
    • Like 3
    Posted

I'm going to bed to snuggle up with doglet and dream of happy things.

Hope you all can dream of happy things too...

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    12 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Yes, I'm pretty proud of my body for a 54 year old! I have used the hills around here as my "green gym" for running and cycling and they provide perfect interval training. I wasn't always like this but now I respect my body and love how it feels to be fit and healthy. No one knows though, what this affliction could do to them.

Keep up the good work for your body, our health and fitness is all we have got against this (as I keep saying) "thing that has come among us". Stocks of toilet paper won't hack it!

BTW: unlike two days go, OH reports that the local Sainsbury's was totally devoid of stock. Everything from meat and pasta to bog roll. He talked to a senior staff member who said it was crazy but that they restock every night just to be stripped again the next day. Where could all the meat be going? Have people bought extra freezers and put them in their garages? I think there is a lot of wastage going on and that is shameful...

I went into Tesco after work today...Intention was to buy a half-bottle of vodka, some tonic water and a tin of curry -- apart from the voddy, the place was stripped bare. Let's just say that I had a wee word with the Fokkers!?

Edited by General Cluster
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

This is bizzare:

Edited by pip22
    • Like 1
    Posted
    32 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Oh no I've developed a cough over the last couple of hours. I'm hoping its just an asthmatic cough that I do sometimes get when seasons are changing (I am somewhat prone in Spring in particular) however if it carries on much longer I may be into self isolation. We will see!

Keep us posted, hope those pesky school children haven't contaminated you!! 

Mind you, I've never been so paranoid about my health. Every time something seems a little odd with me I'm thinking "Have I got it?" And when I'm feeling fine, I'm thinking "Am I one of the lucky ones who's got it with no symptoms?" Such a bizarre virus! 

• Like 1
    Guest Delete Me

Big respect to the local shops, the small retailers and the Indian / sikh community for their contribution and help towards the elderly and vulnerable up and down the country.

Posted
    33 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Stress related Asthma most likely and the air is also fairly dry which doesn't help. So hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow with zero coughs.

Quite possibly, if its still here tomorrow morning then it will be something else other than that asthma cough. For now that seems the most likely culprit though rather than coronavirus, the only thing giving me pause is I have had some contact with someone who has since displayed classic symptoms. 

Posted
    11 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Keep us posted, hope those pesky school children haven't contaminated you!! 

Mind you, I've never been so paranoid about my health. Every time something seems a little odd with me I'm thinking "Have I got it?" And when I'm feeling fine, I'm thinking "Am I one of the lucky ones who's got it with no symptoms?" Such a bizarre virus! 

Well I was most of last week with a knee injury. I think if I have got something, I have a pretty good idea where it has come from!

But your right, whenever I've coughed I though maybe, but then brushed it away. This is the first time though I've seriously considered it.

To be honest, I'd rather have it now, as it would make life easier down the line.

Edited by kold weather
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heatwaves and electrical storms, and fidgid Arctic type winters

A lot being said about the state of our supermarkets, perhaps now is the time for those hoarders and selfish gits to think of others!! Come on guys... Anyone reading this as a guest or a lurker and is guilty of mass panic buying.... This is not nuclear war, where we will be in a bunker for 12 months due to radiation... Then I could understand the mass loo roll buying, there would be a few sore backsides I would imagine. I went to sainsbury yesterday at 2.30pm...there delivery was at 2pm...here are some of the shelfs half hour later... Get a grip please. 

And last but not least, the 1st person to treat herself like guinee pig for human trials of the vaccine... Your a star ma'am, you deserve a knighthood for putting yourself on the line. 

IMG_20200316_150933.jpg

IMG_20200316_150232.jpg

26037670-8120501-A_pharmacist_gives_Jennifer_Haller_left_the_first_shot_in_the_fi-a-62_1584443905388.jpg

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers

Quite an uptick in the number of people wearing face masks around London today. Unfortunately - most are those thin surgical masks and some people have also started wrapping scarfs around their faces: WTF? 

Folks, please don't waste your time/money with covering your mouth/nose unless your mask has a decent filter. Viruses are TINY. They can fit through the holes of your scarf and those surgical masks. 

Oh and don't get me started on those surgical latex gloves people are starting to wear on the tube (..while constantly touching their face and their phones). Arrrgghh! ?

Edited by Stabilo19
    • Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
    10 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

A lot being said about the state of our supermarkets, perhaps now is the time for those hoarders and selfish gits to think of others!! Come on guys... Anyone reading this as a guest or a lurker and is guilty of mass panic buying.... This is not nuclear war, where we will be in a bunker for 12 months due to radiation... Then I could understand the mass loo roll buying, there would be a few sore backsides I would imagine. I went to sainsbury yesterday at 2.30pm...there delivery was at 2pm...here are some of the shelfs half hour later... Get a grip please. 

And last but not least, the 1st person to treat herself like guinee pig for human trials of the vaccine... Your a star ma'am, you deserve a knighthood for putting yourself on the line. 

IMG_20200316_150933.jpg

IMG_20200316_150232.jpg

26037670-8120501-A_pharmacist_gives_Jennifer_Haller_left_the_first_shot_in_the_fi-a-62_1584443905388.jpg

I second this. The staff at Sainsburys almost looked embarrassed that the bread and veg aisles were literally stripped bare.

who needs all this stuff? People panic buying are literally making a crisis ten times worse. There’s no reason for it

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
    28 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I'm going to bed to snuggle up with doglet and dream of happy things.

Hope you all can dream of happy things too...

fais de beaux reves

• Like 2