Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    29 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Same here, we already have packs ready to go to cover through to the easter period, but these next few days are going to be very difficult, and if the government tries to go much longer than that, I think many will just shut due to safeguarding.

We're in the process of doing the same at my school. Let's be clear though, although I strongly suspect schools will start to close after this week, we've not been told they will, nor has it been hinted that they will from anyone higher up. We're just preparing for what is probably inevitable and likely extended. 

Had word through late today that we are no longer allowed to take pupils outside of school premises. That applies to all schools in Aberdeenshire AFAK. For most schools thats sensible and no real hardship. For my school, which deals exclusively for kids with learning difficulties it's going to make life very challenging. It will devistate my class of older kids timetable as we are out a lot. Trip to a post school work center tomorrow is cancelled, as is swimming at the local pool on Thursday. Even our ability to take them out to develop thier shopping skills will be out of the question. 

It's not going to be easy at all for a class who are used to being out and about so much, and are much better behaved out than when cooped up in close proximity to each other. They need the freedom, fresh air and option to burn off energy. It's going to be difficult to explain to them quite why, even if we have been discussing coronavirus for a while now.

College and work experience for the more able ones had already bitten the bullet before that last bombshell. 

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    5 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Only two days but it looks like growth in Italian cases is slowing at a reasonable pace in percentage terms. 

Was about 150% between the 10th and 15th (slowing about 10% from the prior five days) however these 3k rises staying near static suggest we could be looking closer to 80% for the 15th-20th. 

Comparisons between Italy and Wuhan have striking similarities, except Italy put the brakes on a little later. Suggests Italy have at least another month of serious pain to go.

Posted

Whilst at least Italy isn't seeing any more drastic rises (though 3.5k cases is still pretty hefty!) Germany has seen 2000 new cases today and Spain isn't far behind that figure at 1,800 new reported cases.

Spain nearing 200 deaths today as well sadly.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak·1m

McDonalds has confirmed from 5am on Wednesday morning all restaurants in the UK and Ireland will close seating areas and temporarily move to being takeaway, drive-through and delivery operations only to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
    6 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

EU have acted... abit late though

Still time to contain it.

Italy have posted a slow drop in deaths for 3 day's now.

New cases are up and down a bit still but defiantly signs they may just be starting to get it under control now the full lockdown is around 1-week old

Posted
    Just now, pip22 said:

Sky News Breaking

@SkyNewsBreak·1m

McDonalds has confirmed from 5am on Wednesday morning all restaurants in the UK and Ireland will close seating areas and temporarily move to being takeaway, drive-through and delivery operations only to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak

Wow that is quite an impressive statement from Mcdonalds I have to say. I wouldn't be surprised if other stores do something similar to allow them to stay open in some capacity (as they are technically restaurants). 

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Whilst at least Italy isn't seeing any more drastic rises (though 3.5k cases is still pretty hefty!) Germany has seen 2000 new cases today and Spain isn't far behind that figure at 1,800 new reported cases.

Spain nearing 200 deaths today as well sadly.

Germany will be one to follow when trying to predict where the UK is going. They have, like the UK, been a bit more relaxed about putting the brakes on. They seem to be a few days ahead of us in terms of actual cases.

• Like 1
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Only two days but it looks like growth in Italian cases is slowing at a reasonable pace in percentage terms. 

Was about 150% between the 10th and 15th (slowing about 10% from the prior five days) however these 3k rises staying near static suggest we could be looking closer to 80% for the 15th-20th. 

Yes, still very large amount of cases but the rate of increase is showing signs of slowing down in percentage terms. Hopefully by the weekend we will start to see the actual number of cases start to slow somewhat, though as China is still showing, the deaths will continue to come in (China still has 3,000 serious cases!!) even once the cases do come down.

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Still time to contain it.

Italy have posted a slow drop in deaths for 3 day's now.

New cases are up and down a bit still but defiantly signs they may just be starting to get it under control now the full lockdown is around 1-week old

I'm not sure SS - they've had around 1000 deaths in the last 3 days, it was 700 deaths in the previous 3 days. Too soon to be sure it's levelling off.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looking how it's spreading round the world I don't think summer will make it ease off.

I don't like it when Politicians declare wars like war on drugs war on terror they all end up miserable failures.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
    Just now, The PIT said:

Looking how it's spreading round the world I don't think summer will make it ease off.

I don't like it when Politicians declare wars like war on drugs war on terror they all end up miserable failures.

That's the worst one because you ain't gonna do it with half baked attempts, the only way you will do that is with thailand style sentencing and they ain't got the balls to do that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy, wintry weather

Just wanted to give you the latest update on Face MaskGate.

As I've stated in some previous Posts, my Wife works in a Residential Care Home.

When she arrived at the Home for her early Morning shift, she announced to all and sundry that she's ordered some Face Masks, and will be wearing one at the end of the Week, once they arrive.

The Lady that organises the Work Roster and doubles up as the Receptionist, retorted,"That won't be necessary Colette, the one Resident that was tested, has come back with a negative result.

We're in a bubble here and won't get affected".

Completely missing the point, of course!! 

The Deputy Manager and Senior Carer that was in charge this Morning, didn't seem to have any firm guidance to give my Wife and told her, "It's your personal choice, Colette".

I decided to phone BUPA's Care Home Division Head Office, and the told the respondent that my Wife worked in one of their Care Homes and what was their policy on their Staff wearing Face Masks, as she had been told previously not to wear one, as it would frighten the Residents.

The Receptionist asked me which Care Home my Wife worked in. I didn't want to give that information and wanted to protect my Wife's, anonymity. I asked the Receptionist what guidance have they given their Staff, re, wearing Face Masks. After a bit of umming and ahing, she tried to put me through to another Department but all I got was some random Menu.

Colette decided to text her Manageress, telling her that she'd ordered some Face Masks herself, and would be wearing one, once they arrived. The Manageress responded, "That's nice of you Colette but we have a couple in the Home". I hope the Manageress doesn't think my Wife has bought them for all the Staff, they are for herself!!

Colette responded with, "I will be wearing one on my next shift, not only to protect myself but also to protect the Residents, in case I bring the Coronavirus in with me and give it to the Residents, a lot of whom have underlying health issues".

Which is exactly the point. Obviously, all the Staff have Families and a lot of them travel on Public Transport, and could inadvertently bring the Coronavirus, into the Home.

My Wife wants to wear a Face Mask not only to protect herself but also the Residents, of the Care Home.

I'm staggered that one of the largest Care Service providers in the Country, have no firm Policy in the current situation and at best, a "wishy-washy" attitude, towards their Staff.

My Wife has saved the Text from her Manageress, in case there is any "comeback", once she wears her Face Mask.

I'm also amazed that my own Father managed to live for 13 Years (to the age 95), in this very Care Home.

Colette tells me there is still no sanitising hand wash in the Home, and that has been the case for a few Days now!!

One good piece of News, when my Wife went shopping in Sainsburys in Bromley, the Cashier saw Colette's Uniform and asked if she'd like a pack of Toilet Rolls. Colette gratefully accepted and the Cashier produced the pack, from under her seat.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 5
    Posted

Too many over reactionary posts... people with anxiety overload...

learnt this morning my sister in law in Denmark who has been five years cancer free (triple negative breast cancer- with double mastectomy) has found out she has lung cancer in both lungs... her immune system has been very low this last five years now has prospect of chemotherapy and even lower immune system just while Denmark is hit with corona virus... she is at a much higher risk than a lot of people here and may not survive this year...

please can the panic and over reaction on here please stop (I’d like it to with the wider public but will never happen). 
    If anyone would also like to know my husband has had triple heart by pass, my mum is severely asthmatic and suppressed immune system and 69, my Nan is 93 with few health problems... 

we’re looking on the brighter side, being positive,  proactive but not panic buying and looking after each other and our neighbours...

please people get a grip of reality and take a deep breath 

ps Happy St Patrick’s Day 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm/hot plumes, snow, anything severe

Dortmund ultras have released a statement offering to do grocery shopping and courier service for elderly or ill people forced to stay at home due to the coronavirus outbreak.

What a brilliant gesture!

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, especially heavy snow.
    1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

What does this Russian situation mean - does this mean the cold war is going to rear its head again?

With climate change, maybe they could re-name it the 'Luke warm war?

• Like 3
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

The summer might help to reduce the pace of spread but yes its looking unlikely its going to stop it at this point.

IR35 changes suspended.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
    4 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

Can anybody tell me how many new cases in France today please

1097 - sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I’m getting scared. We pay £1200 a month rent to a private landlord. If neither my fiancée or me have an income then do we just give a grand a month to a landlord? Do they get a mortgage holiday?

Fortunately we can contact them direct, so I’ve penned a message to pass on, but waiting before I send in case the govt have something hidden up their sleeves that they’re not telling us about. They just need to let people know ?

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
    2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

First vaccine by the Autumn? 

I don't think that is far off the mark, when the situation demands, science can be fast tracked in my opinion, the reason there hasn't been one for these kinds of viruses before is because not because its that difficult to do it, it has been because the viruses have either blown themselves out before it has become necessity, like with SARS, or because the viruses have not been that severe that they cause world wide misery - ie - the common cold, if there is a lot of money piled into it, they will do it.

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not a fan of heatstroke.
    2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Too many over reactionary posts... people with anxiety overload...

learnt this morning my sister in law in Denmark who has been five years cancer free (triple negative breast cancer- with double mastectomy) has found out she has lung cancer in both lungs... her immune system has been very low this last five years now has prospect of chemotherapy and even lower immune system just while Denmark is hit with corona virus... she is at a much higher risk than a lot of people here and may not survive this year...

please can the panic and over reaction on here please stop (I’d like it to with the wider public but will never happen). 
    If anyone would also like to know my husband has had triple heart by pass, my mum is severely asthmatic and suppressed immune system and 69, my Nan is 93 with few health problems... 

we’re looking on the brighter side, being positive,  proactive but not panic buying and looking after each other and our neighbours...

please people get a grip of reality and take a deep breath 

ps Happy St Patrick’s Day 

Best wishes to them all.  I agree that there is a very good argument to be made for rational consideration, but, unfortunately, the authorties have to "ramp" these sort of things to get the willfully ignorant and careless to pay attention.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The USA are now ahead of Italy at around day 13 since the 100th case

ETVgiE6XYAASgAD.thumb.jpg.a15b199990434dd5c4da05a86dabc431.jpg

• Like 1