Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

1. Some great COVID-19 data from Italy, the 2nd hardest hit country to date in this pandemic. This was published in an infographic by @JAMA_current on Twitter. It was big so I broke it into bits. First: 9% of their cases are health workers, which is tragic.

covid19.thumb.png.0e2a18baa7536432eab523c4ea441724.png

2. A quarter of Italy's cases are people aged 19-50. It's not just old folks catching COVID-19. Interesting to see the small slices in the case severity pie.

covid190.thumb.png.9ea320166635429e7d7fd3f7c9af9c1d.png

3. Italy hasn't had a COVID-19 death in anyone under age 30. But the fatality rates in people 70 & older are eye-popping.

covid191.thumb.png.e07235cfc2ed462d8a71fccda8b3678f.png

Source: Helen Branswell via Twitter

We need to know who required ic

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Italy have reported 3,526 new cases and 345 new deaths

Total to 31,506 cases and 2,503 deaths

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
28 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

We've just done the same for Year 8 & 9 due to staff shortages.

Attendance today was 79% for students, we've had to make a quarantine zone for those displaying symptoms and tell all staff in the risk group or who are a carer, to stay off work.

Another reason i said this ages ago that schools should shut, even if one (wrongly) assumes that all pupils of that age cannot be seriously ill or die from this virus, not sure nowadays but im sure some of our teachers were over 60 and some even approaching 70 when i went to school, not all of them are retired or leave at 50-55. so what about the risk for them.

EDIT : and a lot of them smoked as well, which is why they sort of turned a blind eye to us smoking.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Italy have reported 3,526 new cases and 345 new deaths

Total to 31,506 cases and 2,503 death

was hoping we might have better news today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Its not the worst set of results, at least the explosive growth stage seems to have come to a halt based on those figures, though I do wonder how much capacity for testing Italy has?

It may just be Italy is at the max of their capicity of testing and so they can;t go much higher than that. However still severe of course.

Also the pace of deaths is FAR in excess of China. For reference, even the worst days in China had 150 deaths, this is going at least 2x the rate, which suggests to me even if the lockdown does work at the same pace as China, Italy will end up with at least 6-7000 deaths.

• Like 2

Guest Delete Me
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Watching the chancellor at the press meeting. Swift and sizeable action to counter financial problems caused by coronavirus.

On this occasion, impressed!

Yes I agree, very impressed with Rishi Sunak so far.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Watching the chancellor at the press meeting. Swift and sizeable action to counter financial problems caused by coronavirus.

To be honest, every time I see the new chancellor I'm very impressed with him!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Its not the worst set of results, at least the explosive growth stage seems to have come to a halt based on those figures, though I do wonder how much capacity for testing Italy has?

It may just be Italy is at the max of their capicity of testing and so they can;t go much higher than that. However still severe of course.

Also the pace of deaths is FAR in excess of China. For reference, even the worst days in China had 150 deaths, this is going at least 2x the rate, which suggests to me even if the lockdown does work at the same pace as China, Italy will end up with at least 6-7000 deaths.

TBH if we are talking 20000 here being a good result, would expect higher than that, given that they didn't have the time we have had on our side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

After watching Boris it seems to me the country is going to be in lockdown, very very soon.

A lockdown is very much needed.

We definitely do not want such a drastic increase of cases like Italy, Spain and Germany have had!

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Number of deaths each day has remained stable for a few days now, this is good news. We should start to see a decrease by the weekend. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, BarnetBlizzard said:

Number of deaths each day has remained stable for a few days now, this is good news. We should start to see a decrease by the weekend. 

I hope you are right !

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

The overreactions have been ridiculous. People seem to have this idea that places like Italy and France for example gave out all this cash relief when the very first case was announced. People need to remember we are several weeks behind Italy and a week or so behind France. France only announced their 300billion to help a couple of days ago. So relative to our phases into our respective epidemics we have offered cash quicker than France have.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

I hope you are right !

3 to 4 days they were saying from yesterday to get a clearer picture on how the lockdown is working.

Daily deaths since Sunday are

• Sunday - 368
  • Monday - 349
  • Tuesday - 345

• Like 3

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I hope you are right !

I'm glad people are confident about this. I'm not. We are in unchartered territory and the idea that it'll only be 6-7k deaths in Italy is wide of the mark. There won't be a vaccine for some time and we've got the autumn and winter to get through, when there is likely to be further peaks potentially worse than this one. Countries will be better prepared yes, but health systems only go so far. There's a reason even conservative estimates have 20k deaths for the UK - this will be active for some time, in repeated peaks and troughs until we're all vaccinated.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

£330bn made available for business through loans - more money available if needed

Very good news . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

Absolutely terrible scenes in the toilets in my school once again.

A group of little kids decided to vandalize the whole bathroom, including the hand sanitizer, which they managed to pull out of the wall somehow and empty it all over the floor.

People like that are despicable and extremely selfish.

Probably a kind of protest thinking that it might shut the school, kids get afraid too you know.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Asked about closing schools and he just mumbled into his desk.

You know what i did before school today. I went upstairs and had a little cry. I feel like i am leading my daughter  to slaughter.

• Like 3