Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
Just now, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

we are the only one with schools open? 

No. Sweden have schools open. Not sure of other countries.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

14 more deaths reported, death toll in UK is now 69.

This is added to 6 more deaths on Germany, 10 in the USA, 8 in Switzerland and the list goes on and on.

Actually far better than I imagined it would be for today.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

BTFV - I think there's more in that study that deals with suppression (closer to the government's new strategy), which does "in theory" keep the curve under the red line.

20K deaths ... what makes such a total of deaths unacceptable? Heart disease? Cancer? An existing flu? A new flu that hasn't fully developed yet? An earthquake? A terrorist attack?

Not a simple moral question.

Unfortunately, none of the methods keep it under the red line for good. The most extreme measures may work temporarily, but it comes flooding back upon release. Figure 3 is the one that shows that. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

It also adds that these stats don't take into account the effects of reduced healthcare staff due absenteeism in the more extreme scenarios.

The philosophical and ethical dilemmas around death is for another day, I think!

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Absolutely terrible scenes in the toilets in my school once again.

A group of little kids decided to vandalize the whole bathroom, including the hand sanitizer, which they managed to pull out of the wall somehow and empty it all over the floor.

People like that are despicable and extremely selfish.

the things you see when you haven't got your gun!

• Like 1

Posted

Two multi million pound tourist attractions near me are now severely affected. 

Longleat to be safari drive through only for a period of time. Thank goodness for that as a local annual pass holder.

Center Parcs to close for a period of time. 

Literally 100s of local people’s employment at stake!

Posted

I hope the UK government realizes the seriousness of this to businesses and puts in a massive package of help.

The more businesses you can save the better chance of a quicker economic recovery.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Germany has now passed S. Korea in terms of confirmed cases. Currently at 8,616, compared to SK at 8,320.

corona_virus_karte_zahlen_aktuell_rki_te
INTERAKTIV.MORGENPOST.DE

So breitet sich das Coronavirus aus - in den deutschen Bundesländern, Europa und weltweit. Aktuelle Zahlen der bestätigten Infektionen, der geheilten Patienten und der Todesfälle auf einer...

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

7 of the new deaths were in London

The 14 deaths were between 45 and 93 all with underlying health conditions

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I hope the UK government realizes the seriousness of this to businesses and puts in a massive package of help.

The more businesses you can save the better chance of a quicker economic recovery.

I do agree but unfortunately though this will be seen in some quarters as helping the rich, particularly while there are scores and scores of deaths every day and nurses worked off their feet and also coming down with the virus.

Posted

Morrisons are creating 3,500 new jobs to cope with soaring demand during coronavirus

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/national/18311761.morrisons-create-3-500-jobs-home-delivery-expansion-amid-soaring-demand/

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Do honestly think the UK don’t know the serious of the situation? When the chancellor spoke last he indicated that the amounts put in would be reviewed as and when needed. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

7 of the new deaths were in London

The 14 deaths were between 45 and 93 all with underlying health conditions

I really want to know who is in the ic right now and if I am at risk  of needing ic otherwise I'd just get it over with and get infected sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

My daughters Secondary school has advised year 7 and 8 to stay away from school until further notice, I think our council is been spot on with the the closure of theatres sports centres, Museums and libraries are other councils doing the same

• Like 3

Guest Delete Me
1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

My daughters Secondary school has advised year 7 and 8 to stay away from school until further notice, I think our council is been spot on with the the closure of theatres sports centres, Museums and libraries are other councils doing the same

We've just done the same for Year 8 & 9 due to staff shortages.

Attendance today was 79% for students, we've had to make a quarantine zone for those displaying symptoms and tell all staff in the risk group or who are a carer, to stay off work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yep agree same with the sporting world going against what the government are advising, 

• Like 1

Posted

Boris:

• We must act like a war time government and support businesses and families. We must do more and faster.
  • Covid-19 is so dangerous that without drastic action it will “overwhelm the NHS”
  • Like 1

Posted

1. Some great COVID-19 data from Italy, the 2nd hardest hit country to date in this pandemic. This was published in an infographic by @JAMA_current on Twitter. It was big so I broke it into bits. First: 9% of their cases are health workers, which is tragic.

covid19.thumb.png.0e2a18baa7536432eab523c4ea441724.png

2. A quarter of Italy's cases are people aged 19-50. It's not just old folks catching COVID-19. Interesting to see the small slices in the case severity pie.

covid190.thumb.png.9ea320166635429e7d7fd3f7c9af9c1d.png

3. Italy hasn't had a COVID-19 death in anyone under age 30. But the fatality rates in people 70 & older are eye-popping.

covid191.thumb.png.e07235cfc2ed462d8a71fccda8b3678f.png

Source: Helen Branswell via Twitter

• Like 2

A local secondary near me has closed to all years except for Y7 and Y11. Schools will have to take matters into their own hands given the likelihood of widespread staff and pupil isolation. These are effectively gatherings of hundreds or thousands of people, not forgetting vulnerable children and older adults as well. The government must close all schools from the end of this week.

Edited by Onding