Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Of course.

What are you suggesting? We take a stand and defy everyone else? Rule Britannia!? Our ship is sinking with the current strategy.

Monitoring Italy and testing are the most important things in my opinion. While you state that the ship is sinking there’s no actual evidence yet that a European quarantine lite has worked yet and an extra two weeks waiting to see the evidence are not going to make a massive difference. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Main updates from this morning

• Spain: 1,236 new cases, 149 new deaths
  • Germany: 702 new cases, 3 new deaths 
  • Netherlands: 292 new cases, 19 new deaths 
  • Malaysia: 120 new cases, 2 new deaths 
  • Portugal: 117 new cases, 0 new deaths
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
Just now, Snipper said:

Where should the money come from?

Where are France getting it from? And the USA?

We have it too. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
16 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The herd immunity is essentially Darwin,the strongest survive.

Bleak for the elderly and frail.

Not strictly the case: it’s trying to get the majority of the population to catch the disease and recover to stop spread, while ideally not allowing any of the vulnerable to mix with this group during the process.

Not saying it’s a good idea In this situation at all, but the science is actually that the strongest take the punch - so to speak - to protect the weak.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Where should the money come from?

Maybe the 1% can dig deep and chip in, otherwise they may not have a society to exploit going forwards ??

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Ah yes you and me. Taxes

Your money will not be worth anything if the government let thousands of businesses to collapse. 

Think of the bigger picture!

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Not strictly the case: it’s trying to get the majority of the population to catch the disease and recover to stop spread, while ideally not allowing any of the vulnerable to mix with this group during the process.

Not saying it’s a good idea In this situation at all, but the science is actually that the strongest take the punch - so to speak - to protect the weak.

The revelation s last night suggest the herd immunity will result in 250 000 deaths best case.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Where are France getting it from? And the USA?

We have it too. 

The Uk is in a relatively ok position re govt debt much less indebted than Italy / France and USA they are going to have to rip up the rule book and probably borrow big

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Ah yes you and me. Taxes

the tax you are paying now was already spent like a million years ago unfortuately.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

As I stated earlier, my Wife is a Psoriasis sufferer.

A very unpleasant associated condition is, Ankylosing Spondylitis.

A very exotic name, for a very painful Arthritic condition, which causes long term inflammation in the joints, of the spine. Those with this condition can also experience pain in the shouders, hips. Also, eye and bowel problems.

My Wife has experienced all of these symptoms but I'm very relieved she didn't succumb to the very persistent and almost bullying Rheumatologist, she saw recently at an Appointment at Orpington Hospital.

This Rheumatologist insisted that my Wife started on a Drug called, Methotrexate.

This Drug is prescribed for severe cases of Psoriasis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Methotrexate has some very serious side effects and can weaken your Immune System, leaving you prone to all sorts of nasty infections.

Fortunately, my Wife had the nous to do a bit of research about this Drug, before consenting to take it.

So, Colette prefers to put up with the pain, rather than take Methotrexate.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

Hello again TomSE12,

My OH also has psoriatic arthritis. Her Dad (75) suffers from Crohn's and is on Methotrexate. We're therefore being extra careful with him at the moment. Apparently PA and Crohn's are related,with the male side of her family getting the Crohn's and the girls getting psoriatic arthritis.

On the psoriatic arthritis treatment, the OH has been taking sulfasalazine for the past 18 months. It's not as hardcore as Methotrexate, so it might be worth her asking about it. She has lost weight and as she was slim beforehand, that's been the worst bit. The PA has improved though.

As it happens, I also get Psoriasis, but it doesn't bother me and I'm not in any pain, so I don't take anything.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

"Ideally" isolating vulnerable groups vs. what's actually happening are two different things.

Plenty of elderly people still out and about today in London. Meanwhile, the youngsters are mostly working from home in isolation. And thousands of undergraduates are all at home too. 

This isn't working as planned.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

"Ideally" isolating vulnerable groups vs. what's actually happening are two different things.

Plenty of elderly people still out and about today in London. Meanwhile, the youngsters are mostly working from home in isolation. And thousands of undergraduates are all at home too. 

This isn't working as planned.

Possibly some of the elderly, whoever they might be, have a slightly fatalist view of things. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The revelation s last night suggest the herd immunity will result in 250 000 deaths best case.

Because this isn’t the best place to try it. In theory it could be a good solution, but portably with a much smaller population that has a less unpredictable pattern of behaviours

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
17 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Did we not get herd immunity for the Spanish Flu.

Influenza mutates frequently due to a flaw in its ability to read its own RNA. The best theory is the strain that killed millions of people mutated either into something significantly weaker or prevented itself from infecting humans.

The Spanish flu is actually an interesting read. One part is how the First World War actually managed to reverse Darwinism and allowed the deadlier strain to take hold rather than the weaker but more efficient weaker strain. Hence the unusually high mortality rate for a flu virus.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

The economy needs several hundred billion £s right now.

Just wondering where all this money comes from? Borrowing at record low interest rates i guess. Once tax revenues start to really fall, then a part of govt's coffers will be severely depleted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I see the no unnecessary travel and No foreign travel edicts are working....

Screenshot_20200317-133109_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

the tax you are paying now was already spent like a million years ago unfortuately.

No  the taxes being paid now helps pay for today's State Pension payments, the NHS, the Welfare state, roads, etc, etc. Even your council tax (around 25% of it)  pays for subsidies towards people's pension pot and not directly on local services. Some big choices and decisions to come.