Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

I was shocked to hear Richard Morgan on ITV Wales earlier state that under the new restrictions "...everyone showing symptoms must now isolate for 14 days...".  

That is wrong. 

Those showing symptoms are only required to isolate for 7 days, after which time they will no longer be infective.  You only need to isolate for 14 days if you have been exposed to someone else who is already infected.  

If the media can't be bothered to report the advice correctly they shouldn't report anything.

On your own 7 days, family members 14 incase partner, family catch it, but that could be wrong anyway, as it has been seen that some still carry the virus afterwards. However I'm not sure if they still shed it. 

• Like 2

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

Well this is the most surreal Paddy’s Day I’ve ever witnessed. I live in a small town in the Midlands (Ireland). I just drove into town and it was deserted, almost everything closed, no cars or people. Went to a service station and they had oil drums stacked in front of the counter so as to maintain distance. 
    Very very strange and eerie indeed as usually there’s loads of hustle and bustle around and on this day in particular you’d have everyone in town for the parade and pubs would be overflowing. 

• Like 3

Posted

Just double checked my kit .

It has tea tree oil and another called cinnamonium camphora .

And the printed instructions from the pharmacy do emphasize that they’ve included those both because of the nice smell but also because of their anti bacterial properties. 

Although we’re dealing with a virus the anti microbial effect may still see a cross over.

• Like 2

Posted
    34 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its getting  more worrying by the day.

I fall into the strict social isolation category due to an underlying health condition, i honestly dont know whether i should go to work as 400 people work there and i certainly cannot adhere to the strict social isolation policy if i go to work.

I also have a mortgage , what a mess.

Will work have to suspend me on health and or insurance grounds? Who makes the decision? Me or work?

Can you ask your HR department? They might have guidelines your manager has not shared with you?  and is it at all possible to work from home?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy, wintry weather
    35 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Which is why Cheltenham will be the source of an enquiry down the line, whenever normality returns.

Yes, totally agree nws.

I think not cancelling the Cheltenham Festival was a big mistake.

As I've mentioned many times, on other Threads, I worked for a Croydon Bookmaker for many Years and had the pleasure of working at the Cheltenham Festival in 1989 and 1990.

I'm not sure of the Attendance figures this Year but when I worked there, you literally couldn't move and were continually bumping into Racegoers. There must have been a lot of transmission of the Virus, last Week.

Racing wise, by far my favourite Week of the Horse Racing Calendar but IMO a big mistake by the Government and the British Horseracing Authority, for letting the Festival go ahead.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

China have reported 21 new confirmed cases & 13 new deaths (12 in Hubei, and 1 in Shaanxi) with 45 suspected cases.

930 further patients were discharged from hospital whilst 1,105 close contacts were released from self-isolation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

RT Sport

@RTSportNews·34m

BREAKING: Deputy head of Japan’s Olympic Committee has tested POSITIVE for Coronavirus

It must be way, way more widespread since famous people/politicians have it.

Edited by pip22
    • Like 1

Posted
    4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

China have reported 21 new confirmed cases & 13 new deaths (12 in Hubei, and 1 in Shaanxi) with 45 suspected cases.

930 further patients were discharged from hospital whilst 1,105 close contacts were released from self-isolation

I think 20 of those cases have been imported from other countries . The deaths are sadly not a surprise.

The length of illness in fatalities can be as long as 8 weeks according to doctors there.

Edited by nick sussex
    • Like 1

Posted
    1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

I just received a text message from the government about the new regulations .

And if you don’t have a printer you can simply reproduce the attestation on a piece of paper by hand .

Macrons address last night was watched by 35 million which is quite extraordinary.

Hopefully this engagement by the public will lead to a better outcome in overcoming the virus spread .

I guess there will be an identification number, so they can check if genuine. 

Posted
    1 hour ago, shuggee said:

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum. 

If there are concerns about you or loved ones dial 111, look at NHS websites and seek professional advice.

I still have a cough today, but it's bring up whatever was on my chest, so for now at least, I'm doing OK. 

• Like 4

Posted
    3 hours ago, Sky Full said:

WARNING  - CONTROVERSIAL POST ALERT!  I can't help thinking that the policy of protecting the NHS above all else may be wrong if by doing that substantial numbers of businesses throughout the whole country are brought to their knees by the enforced self-isolation of the work force.  This would leave the country in a very poor economic state for years to come.

Perhaps it would be better simply to let everyone carry on as normal and only those who contract the virus stay at home for a couple of weeks until they recover.  A majority of the population takes more than two weeks off for holidays anyway so this couldn't bring commerce to a halt on its own.

The NHS seems destined to be overwhelmed by this whatever we do so we must all be prepared to be denied a hospital bed if we get this virus but it seems most people are recovering at home without serious suffering.  

This is why it makes sense for only the most vulnerable groups to isolate themselves while everyone else gains immunity.  I would controversially suggest that very many over 70 and those with serious or life threatening illnesses are probably not working anyway so their isolation will make little or no difference to the running of the country.

Looking at the figures for China and extrapolating.

The difference between an overwhelmed health service (Hubei province) and a functioning health service (rest of China) was a CFR of 5.9% vs less than 1%. 

Taking that to the UK - Assuming , 90% of China's cases are unreported (WHO view is that was not the case!) and that 50% of the UK population will become infected (bottom end value), that's still an additional (theoretically avoidable) 167,000 fatalities.  Any government that gets tagged with that has lost the next election.

• Like 2

Posted

We are to be working from home from next monday. I have to come in one day next week to take the last of the parts deliveries to the warehouse before they dry up.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heatwaves and electrical storms, and fidgid Arctic type winters

Here is a bit of a tongue twister for you folks.. The good folks of those wonderful carrabean Isles are also taking this corona virus seriously. One of there artists ziggy has just unleashed a song giving some advice to stay safe... It took me a little while to work it out, but I must admit it sounds good when you put it together quickly. 

Mi just ah think, we cyan a guh roun and touch people like we used to. Then me link wid one of my G den and you nah da likkle supmdeh, neh we ah rub off big finga. Mi seh dah hail deh nah, it haffi guh cut out. Because dis nuh good fi we health right nah. Right deh so now, Di song pop in a Mi head like like we nah need to move wid de foot and nah de hand. 

There yah guh, I finally got it.. Good stuff jamaica. 

• Like 2

Posted

The Health Minister here has said the situation in the Haut-Rhin Dept is extremely concerning .

Close to being no more available ventilators . The issue isn’t just with enough  but you need sufficient qualified nurses who are trained on those.

That Dept was one of the clusters that appeared and this is the issue, if your cases aren’t spread more evenly then that’s what can really cause one area to be overwhelmed .

Its not just the amount of cases . Which seems to get a lot of media attention.

• Like 1

Posted
    2 hours ago, kold weather said:

2 new deaths reported in Switzerland overnight, and 6 new deaths in South Korea, so the death rate continues to tick up there.

I hope we can get less deaths today in the UK, because the last three days have out us on pace with Spain, and even worse than Italy at the same point.

Remember that Italy changed to reporting only hospitalised cases: prior to that testing was to track and trace and had a much larger scope in the community. To compare accurately, you need to know the policy and how the tally is calculated.

• Like 1

Posted

Spain's morning update has reported 1,236 new cases and 149 new deaths.

11,178 confirmed cases and 491 deaths

Posted

As hinted last night we are seeing glimmers of hope in Italy. The message is clear lockdown early and you can beat it.

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me
    13 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Here is a bit of a tongue twister for you folks.. The good folks of those wonderful carrabean Isles are also taking this corona virus seriously. One of there artists ziggy has just unleashed a song giving some advice to stay safe... It took me a little while to work it out, but I must admit it sounds good when you put it together quickly. 

Mi just ah think, we cyan a guh roun and touch people like we used to. Then me link wid one of my G den and you nah da likkle supmdeh, neh we ah rub off big finga. Mi seh dah hail deh nah, it haffi guh cut out. Because dis nuh good fi we health right nah. Right deh so now, Di song pop in a Mi head like like we nah need to move wid de foot and nah de hand. 

There yah guh, I finally got it.. Good stuff jamaica. 

My-In-laws are in Jamaica, their hotel in Negril has shut and they're being moved to another. Mother in law has fallen ill, shes 70 and has had pneumonia, sepsis and a stroke within the last few years.

Posted

Number one son just turned up to collect his share of the beers we have been making.  He is resigned to the fact that him and our daughter in law and children will one way or another get it but says that’s fine because if they can get over it sooner they are better placed to help the rest of the family if needed later.

Told him that I started the original thread on the coronavirus and was surprised how many responses there had been.  His response was oh it went viral did it?

Don’t think the NHS will be asking him to supply their protective equipment. 

D92681BC-FA6E-4062-AA05-4C80DD58153F.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
    2 minutes ago, emax said:

PLEASE PLEASE actually read things before sharing them. It has NOTHING to do with the virus! 

Correct, I heard this on the radio this morning. Dixon’s was well in the process of scaling down its frontline operations before the outbreak started.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
    • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

Toilet Roll has moved from a joke to a serious issue. I went out for three hours today, to 7 shops to help out elderly relatives. Each shop was far worse than Christmas and the jostling and pushing crowds were like Glastonbury. Perfect for catching viruses and I did it 7 times!

All the kitchen towels, tissues and baby wipes were gone too and no doubt these will be used and end up blocking sewers or in bins. In both cases adding health hazards. Someone needs to get a grip of this urgently.

• Like 5

Posted

I work at a university where face-to-face teaching has been ended this week plus the summer exams are cancelled. We all have to find ways to teach online for the rest of the lectures plus find alternative ways to assess the summer exams. It's causing a lot of extra work and stress for both staff and students. The university sector is very very reliant on overseas students and this could cause severe financial difficulties in the sector; many are already struggling. I'm wondering if I'll have a job come September.

My husband's whole department at a bank in London has been told to work from home indefinitely and to expect redundancies in the near future.

We are both in our 50s with mild asthma, our autistic son also has mild asthma. We are not in the risk categories per se so hoping our health remains intact, but finding new jobs at our ages may well be a challenge should it come to that once we are out the other side of all this.

• Like 4