Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
11 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

I believe the opinion is that children are minimally affected by the pathogen, and so ‘shed’ less virus - ultimately meaning that while they can spread the disease, the impact of closing schools is considerably less than it would be for say influenza. 

As far as I can see from the published research, this is not true.

Children are just as susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 as adults, and while they don't suffer as badly as adults, many still display mild symptoms.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2020/03/16/peds.2020-0702.full.pdf

There's no evidence to suggest children shed less virus than adults. 

Posted

In defence of the UK government which I know might come as a shock to some in here !

Those modeling were allowed to brief the science community . And it didn’t need leaks to the press .

One thing we should all learn given we’re on a weather site is modeling is just that , we shouldn’t assume that the worst will happen .

And no western country really knows what it’s doing . This is an unprecedented situation.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

You're probably talking over 500,000 by now, honestly. And that will double weekly.

I'm thinking though that celebs are far more likely to catch it than the general public per number. Most travel far more and have a more international life style, so are more likely to meet a super spreader. They also tend to meet a large array of people in general such as fans, etc. So I'd wager them, along with sports stars and to an extent political figures are all at an enhanced risk.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Children are just as susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 as adults, and while they don't suffer as badly as adults, many still display mild symptoms.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2020/03/16/peds.2020-0702.full.pdf

The data is limited, and very contradictory. Basically, until we have a lot more, we can't say for sure

All I can say is that I am yet to see a single case of childhood Covid, and I have heard that some families have had it, yet the child remains uninfected, or has very very low viral load in the nasal passages, probably making it unlikely to spread.

• Like 4

Posted

What I can tell you is that the stock levels of N95 masks are VERY low. At this rate, it will not be long before many healthcare workers are easily exposed to this virus.

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, emax said:

Thats a good point.

Obviously schools are a very hot topic of opinions, but to me, as you say, if someone is asymptomatic, then they arent coughing all over the place, therefore much less likely to spread the virus vs someone who does have a cough etc.

Research suggests that the viral load and shedding of SARS-CoV-2 was highest (Day 4) before symptoms even appeared, and shedding continued even after the symptoms subsided.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1.full.pdf

So while there's no direct evidence of the virus spreading in a way besides coughing, this research strongly suggests that it can be spread even without a cough - and this could be common in asymptomatic patients.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm thinking though that celebs are far more likely to catch it than the general public per number. Most travel far more and have a more international life style, so are more likely to meet a super spreader. They also tend to meet a large array of people in general such as fans, etc. So I'd wager them, along with sports stars and to an extent political figures are all at an enhanced risk.

Probably quite true, so I redact that statement. I can say with absolute certainty however,  that 50,000 is a VERY conserative estimate. Iran has 14,000 'confirmed' cases, and yet they are already building burial pits. Most of the Iranian governemnt has contarcted the virus too.

Quite honestly, Iran is probably in the millions of cases by now.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

This is the world we live in! 

Easy. Tribunal for unfair dismissal. Company hardly has a leg to stand on at the moment.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

In defence of the UK government which I know might come as a shock to some in here !

Those modeling were allowed to brief the science community . And it didn’t need leaks to the press .

One thing we should all learn given we’re on a weather site is modeling is just that , we shouldn’t assume that the worst will happen .

And no western country really knows what it’s doing . This is an unprecedented situation.

Agree in the main but were a lot on here not pretty sure how infectious (RO numbers) and the fact that it is airborne that this disease was back in Jan, Feb at the latest, surely with travel bans we could have wiped it out much quicker than it was going to be now,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

The WHO China report concluded it is most likely that children were infected by adults rather than the other way round. This is referenced in the imperial collage report and is the basis for their assumption for transmission being lower than for adults

of course, there is not enough data to be sure, but I assume (hope) they run enough variants of the modelling before they draw up their recommendations

• Like 2

Posted

What I find interesting is the CMO said some people won’t exhibit any symptoms .

Despite loads of advancement in science the carrier who exhibits no symptoms is still far from being well understood .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
4500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

New quarantine and social distancing ‘suppression’ measures are based on modelling by Imperial College to move beyond ‘mitigation’

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
21 minutes ago, matty007 said:

The data is limited, and very contradictory. Basically, until we have a lot more, we can't say for sure

All I can say is that I am yet to see a single case of childhood Covid, and I have heard that some families have had it, yet the child remains uninfected, or has very very low viral load in the nasal passages, probably making it unlikely to spread.

Sorry my phones playing up, basically I quoted to say, my son has coughing stomach pain and sneezing to, so it should be something else, that's quite a relief. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, matty007 said:

What I can tell you is that the stock levels of N95 masks are VERY low. At this rate, it will not be long before many healthcare workers are easily exposed to this virus.

Right - a close friend is a junior doctor near London and was v. concerned today because they're running low on protective equipment, especially masks. The situation sounds dire already.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:
4500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

New quarantine and social distancing ‘suppression’ measures are based on modelling by Imperial College to move beyond ‘mitigation’

It’s a really interesting spin on things this.

imperial were saying this all along

government didn’t like it

Fortunately for us all, the experts have control again

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Right - a close friend is a junior doctor near London and was v. concerned today because they're running low on protective equipment, especially masks. The situation sounds dire already.

Considering I know of doctors who have worn N95 masks very stringently, and yet still contracted this, the repercussions if we run out, would be dire. If you have no healthcare workforce, that is far worse than having too many patients. And we don't want reservoirs of infection spreading between patient and doctor.

Honestly, I am very surprised I haven't contracted it yet. Even with protection. It is highely contagious.

• Like 4

Posted

They're not treating confirmed or suspected patients in DMH any differently to anyone else. No separate wards, no protective gear, nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

WWE WrestleMania will be the same as Raw and Smackdown and be behind closed doors.

“In coordination with local partners and government officials, WrestleMania and all related events in Tampa Bay will not take place. However, WrestleMania will still stream live on Sunday, April 5 at 7 pm ET on WWE Network and be available on pay-per-view. Only essential personnel will be on the closed set at WWE’s training facility in Orlando, Florida to produce WrestleMania.

Posted
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

They're not treating confirmed or suspected patients in DMH any differently to anyone else. No separate wards, no protective gear, nothing.

I have no words.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

"Kristofer Hivju, who played the role of Tormund Giantsbane on Game of Thrones, said he tested positive for the coronavirus in an Instagram post Monday. The actor, who lives in Norway, wrote that he and his family are isolating themselves from others in the wake of the diagnosis.

"Sorry to say that I, today, have tested positive for COVID19, Corona virus. My family and I are self-isolating at home for as long as it takes. We are in good health — I only have mild symptoms of a cold,” Hivju wrote on Instagram."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/krystieyandoli/game-of-thrones-tormund-actor-coronavirus-kristofer-hivju?__twitter_impression=true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

That's not what one who's in Darlington memorial put on Facebook at the weekend. He said he was in isolation as someone in his family had tested positive.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

It’s a really interesting spin on things this.

imperial were saying this all along

government didn’t like it

Fortunately for us all, the experts have control again

Johnson is very lucky the press didn’t go for him . Because the original plan of herd immunity was very risky .

This does call into question why the CMO was willing to support this .

The main issue is stopping the overwhelming of health systems and I don’t see how the original policy could have been seen as the best way to avoid that .

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

That's not what one who's in Darlington memorial put on Facebook at the weekend. He said he was in isolation as someone in his family had tested positive.

My partner is a doctor there, was working today and all of last week. They initially planned to have an isolation ward but the positive cases arrived before they could properly prepare. She's been working with the patients. They've already had numerous staff with symptoms and many in self quarantine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, nick sussex said:

Johnson is very lucky the press didn’t go for him . Because the original plan of herd immunity was very risky .

This does call into question why the CMO was willing to support this .

The main issue is stopping the overwhelming of health systems and I don’t see how the original policy could have been seen as the best way to avoid that .

Yes, because one way or another, the health service at some point (who knows when) was likely to be overwhelmed, it still will be, but maybe with less deaths overall now.