Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
34 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

Ref. Point 4. Just read the you should not take Ibuprofen as it reduces immune response.Do we or don't we want response.....?

And don"t overdose on ibuprofen as they can knock out your kidneys .They were used to on young Mr Northernlights prior to his kidney transplant to stop his old kidneys working .He was obviously on home dialysis at the time.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, emax said:

I thought they did, thats why generally a virus has a low mortality rate?

But shouldn't they evolve to achieve a zero mortality rate?

Also, why do viruses even cause harm in the first place? What are they trying to achieve? Why do they want to kill us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

ADP have announced the closure of Orly 2 airport from tomorrow. No decision yet regarding Terminal 3 at CDG. (Source: BFMTV live)

I think we are beginning to see the end of air travel over here for the forseeable future...

We've also had an SMS from work saying to limit calls to the office as the hours are being reduced for reception.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I keep thinking to myself, just what exactly is a virus' end game?

In order to be successful, the virus has to be highly infectious with a low mortality so it doesn't kill the host etc.

In that case, why don't viruses evolve to not kill or harm the host? That way they could spread to everyone and not run out of hosts. I just don't get what the point in them is.

It's not the virus it's self killing people, but an immune system over reaction. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Ryanair is grounding 80% if flights from April and does not rule out a complete grounding. (Source: Guardian online)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Been out in our small town in Slovakia to go to bank, it closed at 1PM and I have noticed 90% of people on the streets are wearing protective masks, they certainly got the message across. All the country leaders appearing on TV have all masks since Saturday, so far today 2 new cases only. But speaking to my Irish friends and social media, they are taking a very relaxed approach similar to Britain, even today looking at earthcam in Temple Bar, hardly any wearing masks and pubs were packed over the weekend, also they didn't stop movement from UK to IE. I suspect they will be in trouble soon. On the other hand working for Irish company remotely I will be hit hard personally if country falls of cliff, already today company owner is talking about redundancies by Friday. This is shaping up to be far worse then 2008 recession.  The initial pressure on health system will be followed by impact on economy which now is in the shadow of the virus, but it might be actually far worse then the virus itself on the working population.   

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Also, why do viruses even cause harm in the first place? What are they trying to achieve? Why do they want to kill us?

As others have said, the damage caused is the body trying to fight off the virus.  I’m sure the virus world hasn’t clubbed together in an effort to come up with a master plan to kill us off.  They are simply part of the biodiverse world we live in.

Hooman’s don’t have a divine right to inhabit the planet!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

They don’t *want* to. Take care not to amprogphomorphise diseases - they don’t think, and they are not inherently malificent.

edit: I think I just invented a new word

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

ADP have announced the closure of Orly 2 airport from tomorrow. No decision yet regarding Terminal 3 at CDG. (Source: BFMTV live)

I think we are beginning to see the end of air travel over here for the forseeable future...

We've also had an SMS from work saying to limit calls to the office as the hours are being reduced for reception.

There are very few positives to be gained from this pandemic but there will be groups of climate change scientists around the world absolutely licking their lips at the prospect of seeing what reductions in global emissions will be measured as a result of the collapse of air travel for an extended period.  Indeed, there might be a significant reduction in many forms of transport, including personal car journeys, while international travel is at a standstill.

• Like 3

Posted

Netherlands up 278 today, decent rise again from there.

Numerous countries are also reporting deaths today, Netherlands up 4 deaths for example. Spain up 15 deaths. Worth noting a couple of 20-30 year old in that group sadly.

Spain up 1200 with more updates to come.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
17 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It's not the virus it's self killing people, but an immune system over reaction. 

Is there a way to slow the immune system so it doesn't cause so much damage?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
4 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

Drugs can be used to dampen an immune response down.  See post a few pages back from Matty007 who posted about a drug that can reduce the activity of (I think it was interleukin 6).  I take hydroyxychloroqine to dampen my immune system due to autoimmune disease. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

schools have now closed until September here..not sure how that will work with lots of working parents

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Sky news have listed those that could be most at risk from corona

Some of the chronic conditions said to heighten the risk among patients are:

• Heart disease
  • Lung disease
  • Diabetes
  • High blood pressure
  • Cancer

Ireland's health services have also released a list of conditions that weaken the immune system, and include:

• Patients undergoing treatments for cancer
  • Patients undergoing treatments for autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis (MS) and inflammatory bowel diseases
  • Patients with HIV
  • Anyone who has had organ or bone marrow transplants

•  

Asthma sufferers are also at risk and perhaps more crucially for some younger people is smokers and those who exposed to Second-hand smoke

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-are-the-underlying-health-conditions-at-greater-risk-from-illness-11958276

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

schools have now closed until September here..not sure how that will work with lots of working parents

Just no easy answer to this one, whatever path is chosen is going to cause much suffering and worry.

• Like 1

Posted

Coronavirus: Teesside Airport hotel offered up as potential medical facility

AN airport hotel will be turned into a "temporary medical facility" to help increase the number of beds the NHS has to deal with coronavirus. The St George Hotel at Teesside International Airport has been offered up as a possible location for medical staff as they prepare for a rise in COVID-19 patients.

On Monday, the Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen made the announcement after revealing he had spoken with ministers and officials about the government's response to the pandemic. In a statement confirming the planned conversion, he said: “Over the last 72 hours I have had numerous calls with ministers and officials to discuss how we can best respond to the challenge we face and support the critical work that is being done by our NHS.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18308425.coronavirus-teesside-airport-hotel-offered-potential-medical-facility/?fbclid=IwAR3_QpoVVup50dVSKPJgi2JkOYwscDuSJFZ1e-wuieNEGXlh1U3zMk5_GJU

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

I think they have had some success with existing drugs that have been tried, but I'm not really the one to ask. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

•  

Asthma sufferers are also at risk and perhaps more crucially for some younger people is smokers and those who exposed to Second-hand smoke

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-are-the-underlying-health-conditions-at-greater-risk-from-illness-11958276

This is exactly the sort of information that needs to be talked about this afternoon at the next briefing.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

•  

I figured the ms thing out, but my husband smoking in doors gives me another risk factor. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 hour ago, jtay said:

If care homes are going to get hit hard from this, should we not be offering staff (not bosses) a substantial amount of tax free cash to potentially live in and keep residents totally isolated for a few months?

When Covid-19 sweeps through homes, it's going to have a massive impact on the death rates nationally and the ability of the individual NHS Trusts to cope at a local level.

I'm not sure that would work, jtay.

My Wife tells me it's almost impossible to stop Residents wandering about and mingling at the Residential Care Home, where she works. The Residents are in their 70's, 80's and 90's, quite a few of them having full blown, Dementia.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is all ready present, in the Care Home. As I stated earlier, one Resident was carted off to Hospital, by a Paramedic in a Hazmat suit. Sadly,two of the Residents passed away last Week with Chest Infections. Evidently, another couple are on their, "last legs".

This is quite the norm, in an average Winter, Cold and Flu Season, though.

I'm not sure I'd fancy my Wife being in a "lockdown" situation and as for receiving "free cash". You can forget that, if my Wifes employer, is anything to go by.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 1

Posted

Trading halted in the US for 15-minutes after the S&P 500 plunged by 8% at open, leading to a circuit breaker.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I think they have had some success with existing drugs that have been tried, but I'm not really the one to ask. 

The UK government banned the parallel export of Chloroquine last week. I know that's one of the drugs being trialled. Australian Doctors reported excellent efficacy while using it. I managed to secure a few packets for my family in-case of a worst case scenario so I can say I tried everything.

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Trading halted in the US for 15-minutes after the S&P 500 plunged by 8% at open, leading to a circuit breaker.

I think trading should be suspended full stop. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

The UK government banned the parallel export of Chloroquine last week. I know that's one of the drugs being trialled. Australian Doctors reported excellent efficacy while using it. I managed to secure a few packets for my family in-case of a worst case scenario so I can say I tried everything.

Certainly cheaper than the zumab med that also seems to help

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Surely if the whole world just went into emergency hibernation for 3 weeks we would be in a far better place by the beginning of April, as opposed to everyone trying to struggle on indefinately?

i know I make it sound easy but it’s likely to be the lesser of two evils

• Like 1