Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I fairly certainly a place in London has already signed people up.

Stage one in mice went 'really well' which has meant they've moved onto monkeys and humans next month.

This will be the quickest vaccine on record from starting research to human trials.

Well the pharma companies know that it is going to be a lucrative prize for whoever can get the first vaccine approved for the market.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Milan are making more space available to treat patients in just 3-days

Good job to them. We are more than capable in this country of doing the same, must be plenty of buildings that are publically owned that could be converted if needed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Valencia football player Eliaquim Mangala has also tested positive for the coronavirus.

Posted

What's the best case scenario, then? 

1. Death rate is found to be far lower than suggested by Wuhan / Italy, much more like the German one. 

2. A cure is found for the lung symptoms that cause the trouble (I'm guessing it's the body's reaction to the virus that kills, not the virus itself?) 

Number 2 would be far better as number 1 would still lead to a huge death toll 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

President Trump: "The virus is very contagious, but we have it under control."

• Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I fairly certainly a place in London has already signed people up.

Stage one in mice went 'really well' which has meant they've moved onto monkeys and humans next month.

This will be the quickest vaccine on record from starting research to human trials.

Yes I have heard from a vet who has taken part in this that it has been very successful, hopefully the monkey phase goes as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Good job to them. We are more than capable in this country of doing the same, must be plenty of buildings that are publically owned that could be converted if needed.

I suspect a fair few hotels could easily be taken over for makeshift hospitals they're not going to be overly busy for a while.

Posted
27 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Each step of the way, we've been much closer to worst case scenarios than anything else. This is a pandemic that has the potential to kill 100s of thousands in this country alone and destablise basic social functioning - fear is a much more sensible reaction than complacency, and individual good news stories aren't going to change that.

Yes but it shows that not everybody is going to die, which it helps some to cope why not show them.  Don’t see it as complacent. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
9 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well, I've just this minute finished Contagion; and I'm not feeling any better, either!

I've just finished watching outbreak, and now I'm in total lockdown. Guys, some of you need to take a little step back, as a fellow GAD sufferer, I understand how quickly things can bring you down.. There is a lot of predictions being made out there,, saying this that and the other... But even though this is a serious situation, and most likely a once in a generation event, we perhaps need to take each day at a time. If we stress over what maybe in 6 months or a year, we are gonna drive ourselves to the grave long before corona virus can get us. Things will get worse before they get better, we all know that, most of us who get it, will recover quite quickly with hopefully some immunity built up in the process. Others will be less fortunate, these people we need to take care of and watch out for. But as hard a battle this maybe, we will eventually come through it. Positive Mental Attitude... PMA... we are gonna need it... Not just for our sakes but for all others around us. 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

I suspect a fair few hotels could easily be taken over for makeshift hospitals they're not going to be overly busy for a while.

True, but it is the ventilator equipment thst is vital. A German co is main manufacturer apparently; a big reason why German hosps are so well equipped, apparently.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

1. Death rate is found to be far lower than suggested by Wuhan / Italy, much more like the German one. 

2. A cure is found for the lung symptoms that cause the trouble (I'm guessing it's the body's reaction to the virus that kills, not the virus itself?) 

Probably 2 with lockdown tactics working very effectively. I'd guess if everything lined up you could keep the global death rate in the low hundreds of thousands, which from this point would be a great effort. China has shown it can be done.

Let's hope!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

All down to coronavirus apparently. Restriction of movement on most peoples in europe, Israel monitoring telephone calls, large build up of military on Belgium/Netherland border, irrational fear of shortages fuelled by whom, gatherings of groups of people starting to be restricted, state controlling who works and when, i.e. who has money and who has not, watch for restrictions on internet and social media next

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

We should be getting these ready now. I hate the fact we are being so reactive. Maybe we are and I don’t know about it.

The one good thing from today is my dad (on chemo and at extremely high risk) told me they have given him a special number to call in the event he suffers any symptoms which isn’t 111. Maybe signs of them having some kind of contingency in place behind the scenes for the most vulnerable.

i keep thinking to myself I will be ok but then I remember my missus is a nurse so I’m going to have to face this thing at some point. It’s inescapable. If I lived on my own I would feel pretty good about my chances. I’m an introvert so would happily lock myself away.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Well, a combination of 1 and 2 would be better still! Would also be great if it turns out many people get this disease so mildly it feels much like a bad cold and so the mortality rate is lower than it currently appears. But given that a mass-rollout vaccine is not going to be here any time soon, I would say treatment evolving to the point where we have effective antiviral drugs. Those should take less time to develop.

• Like 1

Posted

Just popped back in here as part of my max of twice a day checks on stuff that isn't from properly authenticated news sites.  Lots of end of days posts still going on.  It's a serious situation but I really think we can all help each other.  If you feel the overwhelming need to keep reading social media and posting and reposting stuff then maybe decide to take a break, go for a walk, bake a cake, teach yourself how to make bread, stuff that will give you comfort and a bit of control of your life.

It's tough, but we aren't being bombed each night.  We aren't being poisoned by radiation.  This isn't smallpox, nor is it Ebola.  Keep up your defiance, be spirited, help your vulnerable friends, family and neighbours.  Hold on to a sense of perspective and if that means turning off the news then just press that button.

Life is always tricky, it's just that at the moment it's more so.

Edited by abruzzi spur
Typo
  • Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes I have heard from a vet who has taken part in this that it has been very successful, hopefully the monkey phase goes as well.

What all them animal rights people saying?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Probably 2 with lockdown tactics working very effectively. I'd guess if everything lined up you could keep the global death rate in the low hundreds of thousands, which from this point would be a great effort. China has shown it can be done.

Let's hope!

But can China be trusted with the figures it gives out, i would say no

• Like 1

Posted

Also everyone remember Germany has low death because they are only counting people who directly die from coronavirus.

Most countries are counting it as a coronavirus death if they tested positive for it and died, the assumption being it is what pushed them over the edge. Hence the line patients died who had underlying health conditions with covid19, etc.

Germany's numbers are therefore are artificially low due to the criteria, not because they have a magic bullet.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 5

Posted

I very much doubt that the stock markets will trade all week

Edited by jimben

Posted

Xbox live has stopped working ... first signs

Posted
1 minute ago, jimben said:

Xbox live has stopped working ... first signs

First signs of what mate