Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Just to give a sense of how bad things are in Italy, the number of infected people per million is 439 which is 8 times of that in China where the coronavirus actually started.

And what's worse, the mortality rate among infected people is nearly twice too.

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Some very concerning news from France .

Apart from the increase in deaths from 91 to 120.

Cases up 900 to 5400.

Doctors over recent days have noticed an increase in severe illness amongst those 30 and over who had no underlying conditions .

Same in Holland...

This family shared their story to shock the complacency of their young folk.

At home in Breda, in quarantine, the Sehraz family lives between hope and fear. Brother Babor (24) wants to tell their sad story on behalf of his parents and sister Razia (23). “To wake up the Netherlands. Be careful."

On Facebook he calls everyone to pray for his brother: 'The corona virus is deadly. Also for people who are young. The proof is there. We want to warn all of you as a family. We also thought it was a joke and now look at us: we're going through a HELL! Everyone stay inside as much as possible! If I save at least one human life with this, my goal will be successful. "

He repeats his words over the phone. And says, "We don't want any more casualties. That other families have to experience that their youngest is deathly ill. ”

Headache

Sehraz was always healthy and happy. Until last Thursday, when he complained of nausea and headaches. A flu was first thought. It took several days, but on Wednesday they received shocking confirmation after numerous investigations at the Amphia hospital in Breda: the corona virus had hit the boy.

He was transferred to Rotterdam and is now on ventilation. "As long as he can't breathe properly himself, they keep him artificially asleep," Babor says anxiously.

Cry for help

All Sehraz's big brother and his family can do now is hope and pray. Together with as many friends as possible, whether or not via Facebook. "Wake up," Babor begs. His cry for help is addressed to his brother. And to the whole world.

WWW.AD.NL

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Do they smoke or vape?

From a quick Google,  28% of French people smoke.

I'm wondering whether this could be contributing. 

Considering there is a virus attacking the lungs going around, the amount of cigarettes I'm still selling at work is staggering...well to me it is anyway. I gave up about 3 weeks ago for the very reason that I could see what was coming!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

Just to give a sense of how bad things are in Italy, the number of infected people per million is 439 which is 8 times of that in China where the coronavirus actually started.

And what's worse, the mortality rate among infected people is nearly twice too.

Italy's old population might not be helping. They've got the 2nd highest in the world after Japan.

They also went through a period where cases went undetected and caused numbers to rocket before they knew it as no contact tracing could be done.

• Like 1

Posted

Local Authorities with 10+ confirmed cases.

Hampshire: 53     Kensington and Chelsea: 40     Westminster: 35     Hertfordshire: 32     Southwark: 30     Lambeth: 26     Barnet: 25     Oxfordshire: 24     Surrey: 23     Camden: 22     Brent: 20     Ealing: 20      Leeds: 19     Hammersmith and Fulham: 19     Wandsworth: 17     Buckinghamshire: 15     Devon: 15     Essex: 14     Greenwich: 13     Hackney and City of London: 13     Sheffield: 12     Harrow: 12     Haringey: 11     Lewisham: 11     Derbyshire: 11     Kent: 11     Brighton and Hove: 10     Hillingdon: 10     Hounslow: 10     Cumbria: 10

Source:https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Posted
5 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Not good.

I'm feeling better after a tearful conversation with OH. We have resolved ourselves that if he can't get here next weekend that we will just wait it out until he can.

Still baffled as to what's open and what's shut!

How awful for you both. Hopefully the OH will make it back one way or another. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Not good.

I'm feeling better after a tearful conversation with OH. We have resolved ourselves that if he can't get here next weekend that we will just wait it out until he can.

Still baffled as to what's open and what's shut!

To be honest the report I read makes for really grim reading . It’s on the linternaute site .

Someone in the government has apparently leaked a confidential analysis to Le Monde which is horrific in terms of the possible death toll in France .

19 minutes ago, ciel said:

My view is that the NHS should make available testing for more. In real terms its not a great drain on resources, especially when it might reduce pressure on beds and equipment by early intervention.

Early intervention? How? That may well work in the sparse areas of Scotland, but not in most of the UK.

The virus is out there, everywhere now. If you test 10,000 a day, and 90% are either negative or mild cases, then what have you achieved? Yes you know where those cases are, but what if most of them stay mild and dont go anywhere near hospital? All you've achieved is a figure to add to some statistics. Yes, a majority could end up going to hospital, but you wouldn't know that until they turn up at hospital. So if a cluster of mild cases appear, do you relocate resources to a certain area, just in case? Then what happens when those cases dont turn up at hospital? Now you have a load of unused resources needing to be moved yet again. 

The UK is roughly 5th in the world for amount of tests done (thats not 100% accurate because of poor data, but its the best I can find, so will give a rough idea). Yes thats not per million, so the ranking goes down if you class it per population size, but if as you say "its not a great drain on resources" then why aren't other countries at least matching the UK for number of tests, if its so easy to test everyone?

Posted

Little bit of humor. For anyone having F1/sports withdrawal, FEAR NOT! the Marbula 1 is still running  

IMPORTANT: Marbula One season 2020 WILL CONTINUE despite the COVID-19 situation! Everyone at JMR is safe and we were able to record races 6 and 7 already. We are also close to finishing production of race 8, so there are no cancellations expected!

p.s. race 5 starts in 5 mins if anyone's interested they stream it live on YouTube  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBWTFr3bNXQ

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
5 minutes ago, Snipper said:

How awful for you both. Hopefully the OH will make it back one way or another. 

We'll get there. Thanks!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Local Authorities with 10+ confirmed cases.

Hampshire: 53     Kensington and Chelsea: 40     Westminster: 35     Hertfordshire: 32     Southwark: 30     Lambeth: 26     Barnet: 25     Oxfordshire: 24     Surrey: 23     Camden: 22     Brent: 20     Ealing: 20      Leeds: 19     Hammersmith and Fulham: 19     Wandsworth: 17     Buckinghamshire: 15     Devon: 15     Essex: 14     Greenwich: 13     Hackney and City of London: 13     Sheffield: 12     Harrow: 12     Haringey: 11     Lewisham: 11     Derbyshire: 11     Kent: 11     Brighton and Hove: 10     Hillingdon: 10     Hounslow: 10     Cumbria: 10

Source:https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Beginnings of clustering in Hampshire?

Posted

Look at the evidence. Early intervention via testing worked in SK to reduce mortality. The UK has chosen not to follow that route.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Some very concerning news from France .

Apart from the increase in deaths from 91 to 120.

Cases up 900 to 5400.

Doctors over recent days have noticed an increase in severe illness amongst those 30 and over who had no underlying conditions .

I think the key part of that is "and sometimes on patients without any health problem"

Even in younger healthy people 1 in every x amount will react worse than others. France like most other areas is seeking the bulk of its deaths in the elderly and or those with underlying health issues.

Posted

Got crates of beer here of various styles. Intend getting another brew on.  A nice hoppy IPA. From past brews will come in at just over 6.5%. Works out quite cheap provided the cost of the equipment is ignored.  £22 kit gives you about 6 gallons. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’ve decided to face the supermarket early next week and stock up on alcohol ! 

I’m going to go out in a blaze of glory ! I’m not even much of a drinker but intend to self medicate till this is over !

Nick, don't go down the alcohol route. I have been tempted but wouldn't ever go there. Walk in the sun. I'm going to keep running and hugging my dog!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Beginnings of clustering in Hampshire?

Last I knew it was quite spread out across the county so unless there's been a large increase in one area I wouldn't say so just yet.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

France have reported 901 new cases and 29 new deaths.

Total 5,400 cases and 120 death

Both the new cases and deaths are a new daily record

Looks like we are now on the same path in the UK, with 29 deaths. Such a shame and I hope things improve soon...but I think it is inevitable that's going to increase quite considerably yet...especially with that vote that happened today

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Nick, don't go down the alcohol route. I have been tempted but wouldn't ever go there. Walk in the sun. I'm going to keep running and hugging my dog!

Can you become a temporary alcoholic? 

At least the wines cheap here ! 

Posted

• Like 2

Posted

The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9m people being hospitalised - Public Health England briefing for senior NHS officials obtained by Guardian.

It suggests as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the virus over that time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

I imagine that many smaller clubs will be in similar situations and obviously people's health comes first but this virus is having an effect on many things. "Raith Rovers supporters will be aware of the added financial pressure the club is faced with during this unprecedented crisis caused by the coronavirus. The decision to postpone all fixtures indefinitely will have a major impact on our ability to operate as a football club.

Many fans recognise the seriousness of this situation and we have been encouraged by the offers of help and support from fans both at home and further afield.

Over the next few days, we will be announcing details via our website and social media on how our supporters can assist us through this very difficult period.

As always, we thank you all for your continuing support."

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9m people being hospitalised - Public Health England briefing for senior NHS officials obtained by Guardian.

It suggests as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the virus over that time.

My word.. 

7.9 million is going to be unmanageable no matter how well they do in the NHS...that has actually left me a little shocked.

• Like 2