Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

Thanks everyone. Its not as bad as a nasty flu I had a couple of years ago, but the big difference is it is all lower chest, my head feels totally clear, which is unusual for me because I tend to get a sinus problem even with the slightest cold/flu, so the fact I have nothing is perhaps (along with the shortness of breath) the oddest feature of this for me.

Anyway, I notice South Korea has had a small spike again and upto 152 new cases (I'm not sure how many are local and how many are imported).

Also Austria up 197 overnight as well.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Thanks everyone. Its not as bad as a nasty flu I had a couple of years ago, but the big difference is it is all lower chest, my head feels totally clear, which is unusual for me because I tend to get a sinus problem even with the slightest cold/flu, so the fact I have nothing is perhaps (along with the shortness of breath) the oddest feature of this for me.

Anyway, I notice South Korea has had a small spike again and upto 152 new cases (I'm not sure how many are local and how many are imported).

If you can manage it, I found a hot shower good for my chest when I had shortness of breath. Not sure if it’s good advice or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Morning all,

wishing all those that are unwell feel better soon! 

The panic buying is insane and is going to really negatively effect a lot of people. As a rule I don’t go into supermarkets as 1 of my Sons has severe autism and it’s just too much for him. He has to have a strict gluten free diet as he is intolerant and now I’m finding myself unable to get him the things we need, or even a delivery slot to get them delivered ??‍♀️ If I don’t give him the same things to eat he will simply just refuse to eat at all. ‘He’ll eat when he’s hungry’ doesn’t apply to him, he would starve himself. We’ve been there before and it’s scary! We’ve got enough to see us through another week but what happens then I don’t know. I’m sure there are thousands of people in the same position and it’s really not good. I saw sainsburys have emailed to say vulnerable people will get priority delivery slots from 23rd March but how on Earth anyone goes about getting one is anyone’s guess. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Could I make a heartfelt plea to all food retailers on here - supermarkets or otherwise to watch the gluten free stuff?

It seems the panic buying has set in with gluten free stuff.  My Waitrose order - as Sainsbury’s seem to have thrown me under a bus, can get through to no-one,  is missing my gluten free bread and my gluten free breakfast cereals.  I now have 4 slices of gluten free bread and enough breakfast cereal for a few days - I was one of those people who didn’t strip the supermarket shelves.   As a coeliac I can only eaten gluten free stuff or am very poorly.

There is always the possibility it is coeliacs panic buying but I somehow doubt it.

No bread or no breakfast cereals = no breakfasts for me coming up if I can’t find gluten free stuff.

How selfish can people be.  

• Like 5

Posted

China has declared it has had a day free of new diagnosed infections..... does anyone actually believe this?  They not even got a vaccine yet?   Surely the infections will just burst forth again after the lockdown is lifted? Italy is fast catching up with China's deaths too.

The one odd thing I've not seen yet in Europe, that was in China, is that people were collapsing in the streets and then were carted off with men in hazmat suits?   I wonder if China has a different strain to the European covid or something, there are just lots of things that don't tally with the European outbreak?

Maybe we've just not yet reached the level of infection that Wuhan had yet?

So many questions about this, aren't there? 

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Also Austria up 197 overnight as well.

Really hope you feel better soon matey    chin up ay?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
31 minutes ago, Azazel said:

If you can manage it, I found a hot shower good for my chest when I had shortness of breath. Not sure if it’s good advice or not.

Indeed.. My youngest used to suffer bad with his chest whenever he got sick and our doctor advised us hot steamy showers helps relieves the tightness so we tried it and it worked.

It always makes you feel better to have a hot shower whenever you have the flu. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

China have reported 4 new confirmed cases and 8 new deaths all in Hubei with 23 new suspected cases.

819 were discharged from hospital whilst 1032 people were released from self-isolation

• Like 2

Posted

French researchers have had some incredible  results using a combination of hydroxychloroquine in combination with azithromycin.

We have already seen research into chloroquine which has been beneficial to some patients . The hydroxy version apparently has less side effects and you can give higher doses.

The study only finished on Monday. They are now going to be monitoring these patients over the next few weeks.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

French researchers have had some incredible  results using a combination of hydroxychloroquine in combination with azithromycin.

We have already seen research into chloroquine which has been beneficial to some patients . The hydroxy version apparently has less side effects and you can give higher doses.

The study only finished on Monday. They are now going to be monitoring these patients over the next few weeks.

Any links?

MIA

Posted
8 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Any links?

MIA

I’m on iPad so difficult . But if you google those two drugs I get the study coming up first in that .

You can also find it by looking for Gautret et al 2020.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun
19 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Could I make a heartfelt plea to all food retailers on here - supermarkets or otherwise to watch the gluten free stuff?

It seems the panic buying has set in with gluten free stuff.  My Waitrose order - as Sainsbury’s seem to have thrown me under a bus, can get through to no-one,  is missing my gluten free bread and my gluten free breakfast cereals.  I now have 4 slices of gluten free bread and enough breakfast cereal for a few days - I was one of those people who didn’t strip the supermarket shelves.   As a coeliac I can only eaten gluten free stuff or am very poorly.

There is always the possibility it is coeliacs panic buying but I somehow doubt it.

No bread or no breakfast cereals = no breakfasts for me coming up if I can’t find gluten free stuff.

We’re in the same boat  we was only joking the other day how we couldn’t see non coeliacs buying the bread at £3.50 a loaf wasn’t we. Now look We’ve got 6 slices left in the freezer. Never ever usually have a problem buying GF things. 

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes i've been following the research into Chloroquine closely - so much so I managed to get hold of some (worst case scenario) - I'm glad it's being ramped up in hospitals worldwide now and showing very promising results.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
6 minutes ago, Tilly said:

We’re in the same boat  we was only joking the other day how we couldn’t see non coeliacs buying the bread at £3.50 a loaf wasn’t we. Now look We’ve got 6 slices left in the freezer. Never ever usually have a problem buying GF things. 

I’m going to see what you can get on prescription for gluten free stuff and see if I can get my GP to do me an emergency prescription.  They took so many prescription items off us coeliacs though, I think you can only get flour now.  At least you can make some bread up.  

I cook all my own meals because of my condition and I could not even get any mixed beans (pulses).  What makes me laugh is I bet half of these people panic buying can’t usually be bothered to cook up their own meals but as the ready made convenient stuff is gone, they have started on other stuff.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fullte

Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
8 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I have to hold my hand up here as yesterday I bought 2 GF loaves for MrsC as she was running low. She's gluten intolerant not coeliac which means we have to be careful with food, not as bad as for you but enough that I need to be very careful with what I feed her. I had in the back of my mind that she was probably going to come home early from work with her coughing symptoms and that we'd be isolated for at least 7 days. Turned out to be correct so I am not sure if that qualifies as panic buying or good sense? Life for people who need GF items is hard enough, the 'choice' is limited and apart from the pasta it's never the same as the proper stuff. The added worry is that a lot of the lines are made in Germany & Italy, how is the supply going to be affected in the coming months? 

Certainly not panic buying! I queued at Tesco from 6.30 and was able to buy most things including toilet Roll.  First time for 10 days! No bread though. 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

China has declared it has had a day free of new diagnosed infections..... does anyone actually believe this?  They not even got a vaccine yet?   Surely the infections will just burst forth again after the lockdown is lifted? Italy is fast catching up with China's deaths too.

The one odd thing I've not seen yet in Europe, that was in China, is that people were collapsing in the streets and then were carted off with men in hazmat suits?   I wonder if China has a different strain to the European covid or something, there are just lots of things that don't tally with the European outbreak?

Maybe we've just not yet reached the level of infection that Wuhan had yet?

So many questions about this, aren't there? 

There are now 4 slightly different groupings, though it's still up in the air if that affect people in different ways.

NEXTSTRAIN.ORG

Posted
57 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

The panic buying has eased up here as retailers have restricted purchase of the main items. Local Centra has toilet roll  pasta and rice.

I'm sure it will ease up soon.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Not sure the lock down will just be London. 

Just my opinion  but i believe London will be first  quickly followed   by other major cities and surroundings  Ie Brum  Manchester.

Posted

So colleague of my mum (they were together on Friday) tested positive. So quarantine for her for two weeks. I had seen my mum on Saturday and started coughing two days ago. No other symptoms except slight chest tightness so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just a heads up. We'll be opening two new COVID-19 thread in the next 10 minutes. One will be for International Discussion and the other for Personal and Local Discussion. Details on the scope of each thread will be provided within the opening posts, as well as some links to different resources.

• Like 7