Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
11 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

With reference to being ahead/behind of the curve, an absolute key indicator, morbid as it sounds, is the pattern of deaths vs cases.  There have been numerous severe outbreaks clearly, but the ones that have or will get out of control are the ones characterised by a number of ‘early’ deaths (indicative of thousands of undiagnosed cases). Wuhan, N. Italy, NWR Westphalia, Washington State, Bay Area, and possibly Madrid all have that pattern. 

Yes, this is why I'm worried here, because we are on a very similar trend line to Madrid and Lombardy when it comes to deaths, the trend line is very close to what Spain had just as it blew up. The fact we had 600+ cases reported today (which happened in Spain as well quite suddenly) is not helping that concern.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

btw, it seems like southampton is the place to be. Not only are they trialling the drug mentioned above, they are also piloting usage of a 15-minute covid test made by a uk biopharma.  Unfortunately they do not have enough nurses however. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Yes my nephew mentioned that , everyone had masks .

Culturally it wasn’t such an issue . Here in Europe I think you’d have been seen as strange at the outset .

Sadly I heard of an instance yesterday where a lady wearing a mask was abused as people assumed she had Covid-19 rather than that she was protecting herself from it. As it happens she suffers from extreme allergies and often wears a mask anyway so they were completely wrong. No excuse for ignorance. 

I must admit that I would feel self conscious myself wearing one even now until I see others leading the way.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
Just now, kold weather said:

Yes, this is why I'm worried here, because we are on a very similar trend line to Madrid and Lombardy when it comes to deaths, the trend line is very close to what Spain had just as it blew up. The fact we had 600+ cases reported today (which happened in Spain as well quite suddenly) is not helping that concern.

Italy’s curve is rolling over. The new cases and deaths look awful but they are well off the original exponential growth curve and should improve in 10-14 days, deaths lagging. We’ve taken arguably more effective steps, earlier. Still too late, I would agree, but not as late as the areas I mentioned before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!
3 minutes ago, emax said:

Yeh, the markets are nothing, and affects a tiny percentage compared to the overall economic affect on nearly every single person.

emax you're so very wrong again!

To claim that the markets are nothing is so far out. The markets represent the monetary system, which underpins the banking system which underpins the economy and which is then represented in people's voting patterns.

What do you think your pension is invested in? Tulip bulbs?

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

Italy’s curve is rolling over. The new cases and deaths look awful but they are well off the original exponential growth curve and should improve in 10-14 days, deaths lagging. We’ve taken arguably more effective steps, earlier. Still too late, I would agree, but not as late as the areas I mentioned before.

Agreed they are definately slowing down the rate of growth in terms of percentage growth a day, though the fact that the cases are still increasing is not the best of news. I was hoping to see at least the cases stay steady, or even a slight drop off, as it has been 10 days now since the lockdown and most should be out of the incubation period now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Agreed they are definately slowing down the rate of growth in terms of percentage growth a day, though the fact that the cases are still increasing is not the best of news. I was hoping to see at least the cases stay steady, or even a slight drop off, as it has been 10 days now since the lockdown and most should be out of the incubation period now. 

They say 2 to 3 weeks is when you should expect to see a steady fall in cases as you have a lag period from those admitted before or just after the full lockdown.

I think they said on the news the percentage is around 20% whilst still high it's balanced out in recent days.

Once that lag passes we'll hopefully see a steady drop in new cases and deaths.

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, senior ridge said:

To claim that the markets are nothing is so far out. The markets represent the monetary system, which underpins the banking system which underpins the economy and which is then represented in people's voting patterns.

I think the misconception of some people (and admittedly prevalent in lower middle class / working class people of which i am one myself), is based on the lag effect, stuff that happens in the markets doesn't always immediately affect them and by the time they are affected, something else gets blamed.

• Like 3

Posted

Huge and unprecedented measures for us. Tasmania has 10 confirmed cases. Tasmania's population is 525,000 and is close to the size of Ireland.    

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Crazy

Yep. And unleaded should be £1/litre, but still around 1.16p here

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Yep but i live on edge of Salisbury plane but to me that is a usual sight 

That's true, if they are heading up Ealing high street, that is a bit different from just around the corner from a army base. I mean I see a Spitfire every day but that doesn't mean to say we are at war with Germany.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Saint coolio said:

Still queuing in an orderly fashion though 

I wonder if they were still orderly once the doors opened. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Yep. And unleaded should be £1/litre, but still around 1.16p here

Really should be shouldn't it!

Anyway struggling to settle down tonight, along with this cough, the fact that things are so bleak,  its pretty tough going, the economy is stuffed, people's jobs are stuffed, people''s lives are stuffed. ☹️

I just can't quite believe we are at this point where society is basically coming to halt, and I certainly didn't expect to live through a true pandemic in 2020.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Really should be shouldn't it!

Anyway struggling to settle down tonight, along with this cough, the fact that things are so bleak,  its pretty tough going, the economy is stuffed, people's jobs are stuffed, people''s lives are stuffed. ☹️

I just can't quite believe we are at this point where society is basically coming to halt, and I certainly didn't expect to live through a true pandemic in 2020.

Yes never thought this was going to happen pre Xmas. But when China started to see the rise of this strange virus I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before it got here. In a globalised world it is inevitable. We cannot just shut down airports/borders. The economy would just falter. Well it is now I guess but shutting the borders earlier like in January would have caused more harm by now.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, senior ridge said:

35 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think the misconception of some people (and admittedly prevalent in lower middle class / working class people of which i am one myself), is based on the lag effect, stuff that happens in the markets doesn't always immediately affect them and by the time they are affected, something else gets blamed.

Behave lol. I said "COMPARED"!!!!

The economic fallout from this virus is VERY much more than just the financial markets, it will effect literally every single person, but you're free to believe whatever you want.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Hello guys,not posted for a while

my quit smoking went out of the window unfortunately and it is hard,it was the first time i tried it and i was getting more anxiety than when i smoked,you can't win

i will try and get more help with this

anyway back to the point in hand on this thread

firstly @matty007 ,thanks for all your information regarding your symptoms and explaining how progressively you have felt through the day,we need info like this although i am sorry that you have contracted the illness and i wish you a speedy recovery

secondly,this supermarket sweep has to stop,it is insane,have respect for the vulnerable and the elderly you scumbags:oldangry:

thirdly,it is great news that things are being put in place promptly now and a lock-down is the best thing now here(get the virus stationary and it will die),good riddance we hope

fourthly, good news on the vaccine and to get this sooner than later would level the curve(we hope),i feel sorry for all the deaths that has happened,not just here but around the globe,if only we had the vaccine earlier,trial and retribution.

one last thing is at work we have a 15 minute earlier clocking out time from the next shift of which i think is a good idea and save cross contamination from shift to shift.

night all and be safe.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

China no new cases but 34 new cases from abroad imported.

For those that are ill on here hopefully you are doing well and getting better.

Posted
5 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

secondly,this supermarket sweep has to stop,it is insane,have respect for the vulnerable and the elderly you scumbags:oldangry:

Key workers are also being unable to get what they need.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Hello guys,not posted for a while

my quit smoking went out of the window unfortunately and it is hard,it was the first time i tried it and i was getting more anxiety than when i smoked,you can't win

i will try and get more help with this

anyway back to the point in hand on this thread

firstly @matty007 ,thanks for all your information regarding your symptoms and explaining how progressively you have felt through the day,we need info like this although i am sorry that you have contracted the illness and i wish you a speedy recovery

thirdly,it is great news that things are being put in place promptly now and a lock-down is the best thing now here(get the virus stationary and it will die),good riddance we hope

fourthly, good news on the vaccine and to get this sooner than later would level the curve(we hope),i feel sorry for all the deaths that has happened,not just here but around the globe,if only we had the vaccine earlier,trial and retribution.

one last thing is at work we have a 15 minute earlier clocking out time from the next shift of which i think is a good idea and save cross contamination from shift to shift.

night all and be safe.

Believe it or not its the elderly that are doing some of it round here, one of the days where the place was nearly empty of goods, about lunchtime that day i had never seen it that rammed on a lunchtime before and average age was 65.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Feeling worse today sadly. Tighter chest and under three duvets. Doubt I will be on here as much today.

The sensation of lack of breath is quite odd.

Hope you get well soon mate,

Hampshire does seem to be a bit of a hot spot for cases.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
28 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Feeling worse today sadly. Tighter chest and under three duvets. Doubt I will be on here as much today.

Hope you make a swift recovery, Kold...Take care, mate!?:oldgood:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Really hoping you have a quick recovery. Sounds pretty scary the shortness of breath symptoms. Take care. 

• Like 3