Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
16 minutes ago, Saint coolio said:

No, Italy was caught with pants down with many thousands of cases before they even started. Spain’s reaction was also poor. 

Seems that way. Maybe we're ahead of the 'curve', whatever the 'curve' is.

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Yeh. Its more likely they are just relocating them to a more suitable location for some sort of logistical reason or something (if they arent on a normal route). Even if they did deploy tanks, I cant see what use they would be lol.............although if anything good can come out of all this, then I wanna see a tank rolling down my street (and not on a truck)!!

tbh no date on screen just the uploaders word... so yep i 100 percent agree its a common sight down here 

19 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

If i get up do you think there will be cash in the cashpoint at 7am tomorrow and if i get to tesco at 7am - will i be ok because if not i will starve if they turn me away because of 100 people already being there.

Can you not pay by card rather than get cash out?

Posted
21 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

If i get up do you think there will be cash in the cashpoint at 7am tomorrow and if i get to tesco at 7am - will i be ok because if not i will starve if they turn me away because of 100 people already being there.

You not have local shops like one stop might cost a little more but you will find their fully stocked supermarkets r bare even today at 8 am are Morrisons was basicly empty with large ques going by posts on devizes issue

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Seems that way. Maybe we're ahead of the 'curve', whatever the 'curve' is.

I think so. The problem we have is more basic though - our health service is critically underresourced

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, emax said:

Can you not pay by card rather than get cash out?

Not really its my mates card - he has just lent me some because of this, i want to get 40 quid - spend 20 - keep 20 just incase i need a taxi to hospital if i come down with anything bad.

Posted
1 minute ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

You not have local shops like one stop might cost a little more but you will find their fully stocked supermarkets r bare even today at 8 am are Morrisons was basicly empty with large ques going by posts on devizes issue

Only got tesco and a little co-op round here - its semi rural

• Like 1

Posted

I know a lot of people think the more softly approach might work and just advising people to do things is better but the reason for the increased restrictions here was some people just ignored them.

Personally I have no problem with them . I want this whole thing over with as soon as possible .

Without these restrictions France would have rapidly gone the way of Spain or more likely Italy .

The UK has a chance to get on top of this and can learn from the mistakes other countries made.

They need to go hard now , if it means locking down London and other big cities so be it .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not really its my mates card - he has just lent me some because of this, i want to get 40 quid - spend 20 - keep 20 just incase i need a taxi to hospital if i come down with anything bad.

I doubt the cash machine will be empty, but even if it is, surely you could get cash back from one of the shops, especially as its only £40?

• Like 2

Posted

I doubt the cash machine will be empty, but even if it is, surely you could get cash back from one of the shops, especially as its only £40?

Don't know - i never use cards in shops - i get cash out and always pay by cash, never had savings so get all my money out at the start of period i have to last for, never buy off internet as i don't trust security.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

With reference to being ahead/behind of the curve, an absolute key indicator, morbid as it sounds, is the pattern of deaths vs cases.  There have been numerous severe outbreaks clearly, but the ones that have or will get out of control are the ones characterised by a number of ‘early’ deaths (indicative of thousands of undiagnosed cases). Wuhan, N. Italy, NWR Westphalia, Washington State, Bay Area, and possibly Madrid all have that pattern. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Saint coolio said:

I think so. The problem we have is more basic though - our health service is critically underresourced

As Nick S said this week no health service in the world will be able to cope with this.

The NHS is run on a near-full capacity basis all of the time; that is partly why it remains a free at the point of use service. From the now defunct UK politics thread i suggested years ago the UK should move towards the 'hybrid-funding' system used by the likes of France and Germany. Most of the influential countries in Europe are basically Social Democracies, and yet, they adopt a combi funding system for their healthcare. I havent changed my opinion on that issue. I'll leave it there as it may be deemed not relevant to this thread subject.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, senior ridge said:

Professor Nassim Nicholas Taleb being interviewed on BBC Radio 4 about the coronavirus from a risk perspective.

He's optimistic about eradicating the virus, because it will come back, unless countries shut their borders for a year or two. However he is right about the financial side of things. Markets have been on borrowed time for a while now, so a market crash was inevitable, this has just brought it forward.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Yep but i live on edge of Salisbury plane but to me that is a usual sight 

I live fairly close to several sites, and yeah its not that unusual to see military vehicles moving around, see them on the A3 sometimes heading towards Bordon and the MoD land down there.

Posted

He's optimistic about eradicating the virus, because it will come back, unless countries shut their borders for a year or two. However he is right about the financial side of things. Markets have been on borrowed time for a while now, so a market crash was inevitable, this has just brought it forward.

Guy’s a flake. He’s been calling this market crash since before the last one.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Don't know - i never use cards in shops - i get cash out and always pay by cash, never had savings so get all my money out at the start of period i have to last for, never buy off internet as i don't trust security.

40 pound at any atm should really be no issue especially now when people dont want to touch the numbers and pay via wireless contact 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

As Nick S said this week no health service in the world will be able to cope with this.

The NHS is run on a near-full capacity basis all of the time; that is partly why it remains a free at the point of use service. From the now defunct UK politics thread i suggested years ago the UK should move towards the 'hybrid-funding' system used by the likes of France and Germany. Most of the influential countries in Europe are basically Social Democracies, and yet, they adopt a combi funding system for their healthcare. I havent changed my opinion on that issue. I'll leave it there as it may be deemed not relevant to this thread subject.

Yeh I fully agree with this. Its something a lot of people forget when they slate how under resourced the NHS is, and yet if we were to charge non nationals, there'd be uproar. I'm sure I read an article recently about that might change in the future, but as you say, not for this thread!

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

However he is right about the financial side of things. Markets have been on borrowed time for a while now, so a market crash was inevitable, this has just brought it forward.

They sure were. The China/US trade talks were dictating market sentiment. This blimin' virus has severely upped the whole financial issue. However, this virus has altered everything. Recovery will be  v slow imho. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I am thinking the same thing, kW, only question what will be the initial extent? I mean geographically.  Apparently London is 3 or 4 weeks ahead of the rest of us, from BJ comments.  I think this is total b*llocks, this virus is right through the country already.

We are riddled with it.  ☹️

I'd guess the M25 would be a good natural boundary. Lets not underestimate what a huge task this will be IF they are going down that line, never like this has ever been tried before in this country. 

Can't imagine it will be more than a week before the rest of the country will join in, things are popping pretty quickly now. I am concerned as well with the deaths, big time.

Because it is suggestive we are at risk of a Spain type situation happening in the next 2-4 days (large blow up of cases) .

• Like 1

Just now, Saint coolio said:

Guy’s a flake. He’s been calling this market crash since before the last one.

Yeh I agree. I was told off for dismissing his credentials earlier in the thread, but calling all this years ago is just the stopped clock theory. There's nothing we could of done to prevent all this, its just something we have to deal with hear and now. I could tell everyone we'll have a 1963 snow event sometime in the next 100yrs, and I'd probably be right, but does that mean I can predict the future lol?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

A combi system is politically difficult because it might frighten people . I think change can be a difficult sell .

For the UK I think there’s a chance to have the least worst outcome because there are no good options but the government needs to act fast now .

Once things get out of control it’s like a run away train . Even in France the situation in some regions is close to breaking point .

The fact they’re moving people from the Alsace region to places close to me shows that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

They sure were. The China/US trade talks were dictating market sentiment. This blimin' virus has severely upped the whole financial issue. However, this virus has altered everything. Recovery will be  v slow imho. 

Yeh, the markets are nothing, and affects a tiny percentage compared to the overall economic affect on nearly every single person.

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Yeh I agree. I was told off for dismissing his credentials earlier in the thread, but calling all this years ago is just the stopped clock theory. There's nothing we could of done to prevent all this, its just something we have to deal with hear and now. I could tell everyone we'll have a 1963 snow event sometime in the next 100yrs, and I'd probably be right, but does that mean I can predict the future lol?

Well, yes, but just not very precisely.

which is my motto basicallly - “approximately right, not precisely wrong”