Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
Just now, Daniel* said:

Was expecting a drop this is alarming something is going wrong...

Sadly, it can take a long time to die. Possibly we are seeing a long tail of people who have held on 3-4-5 weeks. What you have to realise is that there were by best estimates 10s of thousands of cases already in Italy before they realised there was even a significant cluster. An outbreak starting with a number of deaths - like in Italy - is about the worst case scenario.

Then they made a catastrophic error announcing lock-down in N.Italy only with a day lag whereby tens of thousands of people moved around Italy. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Sorry people, but I have had a really rotten day today. I have a much needed day off work, and I went for a nice walk in town with my fiancee, who is Thai. Frankly, I am appaled at the amount of dirty looks she is getting because she looks 'asian'. It's like people seem to think she was the original carrier of this virus. They see an asian face and wince, or look disgusted.

This didn't just happen once, or twice, but multiple times. I had no dirty looks, but she had many.

I am shocked at the xenophobia and racism this has caused and I feel so upset for my Fiancee who isn't even from China.

What's more, after feeling fine this morning, I have suddenly become quite breathless when walking, and even doing normal things. Possibly this is due to tiredness, but after having a headache and an itchy nose the other day, I am not so sure. Especially with my line of work. Cough is usually present, but I don't have one. Just very breathless.

Will have to see tomorrow about how I feel.

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

I wonder what the true figure is for the number of people in Italy with coronavirus? Could we be talking upwards of half a million?

Absolutely. At least.

Posted

Just read that influenza infects up to a billion people a year. If we consider Corona virus has been circulating since mid November that's 4 months. 

That's a third of a year so if corona virus spreads as quickly as influenza then we could be looking at 333 million infections right now.

Obviously, the growth rate is exponential, so the first third of the year wouldn't equal 1/3rd of cases by the end of the year however it could be reasonable to assume this virus has infected millions already?

Edited by BarnetBlizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

They do eat a lot of meat over there, especially processed meats, although that is changing as I have found on my work visits in recent years. It is now possible to get very good veggie/fish based meals compared to 10/20 years ago.

Who ever said veggies were healthy? I only eat meat, meat, meat and more meat. No plant products at all, none, haven't done so for half a year and I have never felt better, stronger and healthier in my life, no more indigestion, no more heartburn, no more bloating or painful stools, I've become muscular and strong, even a sixpack , my joints feel, so supple and smooth, no more aches and pains, constant energy and mental clarity the entire day, never a need to eat because I'm feeling hypoglycemic, no more bonking during cycling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Sorry people, but I have had a really rotten day today. I have a much needed day off work, and I went for a nice walk in town with my fiancee, who is Thai. Frankly, I am appaled at the amount of dirty looks she is getting because she looks 'asian'. It's like people seem to think she was the original carrier of this virus. They see an asian face and wince, or look disgusted.

This didn't just happen once, or twice, but multiple times. I had no dirty looks, but she had many.

I am shocked at the xenophobia and racism this has caused and I feel so upset for my Fiancee who isn't even from China.

What's more, after feeling fine this morning, I have suddenly become quite breathless when walking, and even doing normal things. Possibly this is due to tiredness, but after having a headache and an itchy nose the other day, I am not so sure. Especially with my line of work. Cough is usually present, but I don't have one. Just very breathless.

Matty, the non-verbal treatment of your Fiancée is utterly disgusting. This has been happening all over Europe and is a manifestation of the society of cultural ignorance in which we live. Sadly, it is also, along with the other abnormal behaviours we are seeing, a manifestation of fear. Forgive them, for they know not what they do...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Brought it home today,was working in a Dental practice in Middlesbourgh, last week a patient of theirs died 4 days after visiting the practice,you could see the fear in their faces. Even the older staff were rattled, 2 staff in lockdown after the contact. But still folk are were coming in to have regular checkups, again selfish or plain ignorant.,. It is a group practice and the group has decided to remain open.( though not fine anyone for cancelled or missed appointments). Even though i may loose my job if all dentists shut, so be it, life and health come first, not corporate profit. It was the first death on Teesside.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

Matty, the non-verbal treatment of your Fiancée is utterly disgusting. This has been happening all over Europe and is a manifestation of the society of cultural ignorance in which we live. Sadly, it is also, along with the other abnormal behaviours we are seeing, a manifestation of fear. Forgive them, for they know not what they do...

Thank you for you kind words, much appreciated. Racism is something I just can't tolerate.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Probably high levels of stress and anxiety, plenty of people struggling with this right now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, matty007 said:

These are pictures taken by me today. I have no words for the selfishness and how unnecessary this is. What's worse, I overheard someone be declined most of the vegetables he managed to get (most were gone) and he was limited to 2. He is self employed. How is he supposed to make money?

The greed and lunacy is just disgusting to me. Tesco etc will never close down and there are no shortages of production. People are creating this themselves. I also have a elderly neighbour near me that couldn't get any bread because it was all gone. Luckily I had a loaf I could give her.

This needs to stop, and NOW.

Ridiculous about the bread, these people do know that 1) Bread only keeps for 1 week without freezing.  2) You can only fit so many loafs of bread in your freezer as they are bulky so unless your're gonna go out and buy about 3 more freezers first.........  3) Bread whilst it doesn't go bad when frozen, you start to get a bit of a bland taste and a bit contaminated taste wise, like there is other things in it when you defrost them after freezing for much more than 1 month, so what you gonna do with about 50 loafs is beyond me, wonder if they actually have the intelligence to realise this or they just raid everything with no strategy at all and then get home and think s*it, what have i done, i have just wasted about 2 or 300 quid on useless items.

• Like 2

Posted

And still no further restrictions . I really fear London is going to turn into another Madrid .

The spread in cities given so many people are often in confined spaces is going to be awful .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
38 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I wonder if it’s almost like a rallying cry to get us all focused on working together to beat this thing and take it seriously.

I would say yes, but it will not work. 

Posted

I wonder who the first mainstream politician in the west will be who calls China out for their outright lies about this pathogen? Trump?

EVent Horizon

@evdefender

Y'all been Xi'ed. This may be the most cruel fake dataset of all time as world leaders who sat by praising China while doing nothing to prepare for #coronavirus watch it grow exponentially in their respective countries.

ESjOHsTWsAIhxS2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Dr Jenny Harries, Deputy CMO:

"We're moving up to 25,000 coronavirus tests a day. We are moving towards a home base test."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
5 minutes ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

Just read that influenza infects up to a billion people a year. If we consider Corona virus has been circulating since mid November that's 4 months. 

Just want to point out that there's no evidence for covid-19 cases outside of China before mid January. The November-December spread in the USA/EU seems to be social media hearsay.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Exams due to take place in May and June won't take place

Had to happen because it wouldn't be fair on the students sitting the exam not fully prepared due to schools being closed. A bit of a logistical nightmare that one though. i'm guessing predicted grades may need to be done.

Ah well, one step further along the way to the total lockdown that IMO is inevitable at the moment.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Just want to point out that there's no evidence for covid-19 cases outside of China before mid January. The November-December spread in the USA/EU seems to be social media hearsay.

Wasn’t the first confirmed case in China November 17th? It’s certainly speculated to be the case.

im not saying it’s true at all but it is quite the coincidence.

Posted

Possibly, but I don't think so. I don't typically suffer with anxiety. I am conditioned not to.

I have taken my temperature and I am 37.7. Think I've got it guys....

Lots of rest and positive thoughts! Keep us updated if you can.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Possibly, but I don't think so. I don't typically suffer with anxiety. I am conditioned not to.

I have taken my temperature and I am 37.7. Think I've got it guys....

Chill for the moment Matty. My OH got a really horrible, normal cold last week which I knew was a horrible, normal cold by way of the symptoms. He got himself into an awful state, as I have done before, convincing himself he was short of breath. It was all down to anxiety and panic as he was much calmer when we talked on the phone. He is now fine and looking forward (hopefully) to being back with us here in France on Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
Just now, Azazel said:

Wasn’t the first confirmed case in China November 17th? It’s certainly speculated to be the case.

im not saying it’s true at all but it is quite the coincidence.

Yes, the Chinese are suggesting the first case in China was in November. But still no evidence (yet) of unexplainable flu/pneumonia outbreaks in the USA/EU during Nov-Dec. 

8ec50efe-646c-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_ima
WWW.SCMP.COM

Government records suggest first person infected with new disease may have been a Hubei resident aged 55, but ‘patient zero’ has yet to be confirmed.

• Like 2

Posted

Good grief .

Just extend the transition and concentrate on the virus . How on earth could you even imagine forcing business to cope with loads more disruption on top of the virus .

And how can all the infrastructure be ready now , how are you going to now train and employ all the new customs officials and make the necessary port changes .

I’m sure the public will understand given the unprecedented situation the country faces .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Virus peaking faster than expected in the UK which is why schools are closing to 'flatten the curve'

• Like 3