Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Im sorry to say the Gov have thrown myself and potentially many many thousands of others with chronic illnesses under the bus.

We are told to carry out extreme social distancing but employers are making vunerable people like myself attend a workplace with hundreds of people if we have no sypmtoms.

When we get the virus it will already be too late.

I appreciate its a national emergency but i thought the plan was to protect people like myself.

Unless you working for the NHS then it wlll be your bosses throwing under the bus and not the Government.

I'm working from home but had to kick up a bit to get it. yet we got people working with heart conditions and there isn't any real need for them to be at work.

The incompetence comes from our Director who knows nope - still swearing all about IT. Nearly everything we can do can be done remotely.

At times today I had four active google hangout sessions, answering emails and doing a phone call at the same time. So I can still do my job at home.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So if we are seeing  numbers of those infected 'double' every 3 to 4 days then today's passing of 200,000 infected is going to look like small beer in 12 days time?

After that we wait for us to tick off the first billion?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, emax said:

Have you got a source for this?

It's been 3 to 4 days pretty much from the start. 

They'll have to buy some rapid kits if they're going to get anywhere near the 25,000 a day mark within 4-weeks otherwise it would take weeks just to get the results back

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, emax said:

I've know people personally and unless you're famous most tests are taking from 3 days to a week to come back at the minute.

Just now, Summer Sun said:

It's been 3 to 4 days pretty much from the start. 

They'll have to buy some rapid kits if they're going to get anywhere near the 25,000 a day mark within 4-weeks otherwise it would take weeks just to get the results back

I've seen it quoted last week or so that tests were taking up to 4 days, but not seen anything that says they still are. I'm not disputing it by any means, but something up to date would be nice, rather than relying on possible old information.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Really does feel like another one of those days where every shifts up another gear. We have gone through the gears quite quickly since Thursday.

Here is another interesting article, I have already suggested this might be a good idea, especially as the council tax is well within this governments control to stop for a while.

1256402.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

THE Government could scrap utility bills and council tax for millions of Britons, with guarantees that businesses will also not lose out in a massive rescue package aimed at fighting the impact from the...

They are late, we got our tax bill today.

6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Unless you working for the NHS then it wlll be your bosses throwing under the bus and not the Government.

Now this I agree with. Yes, obviously the government have some affect, and they still have measures yet to be implemented that will help, but it annoys me that people instinctively blame the government for absolutely everything. There's only so much they can do.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I refuse to take any solace in the fact I am not in that category. Every life matters, and every person with underlying health conditions matters.

(Not a pop at you SS, just a general vent!)

Of course, sadly that does follow the trend we have seen so far both in this country and in pretty much every other country as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 minute ago, emax said:

I've seen it quoted last week or so that tests were taking up to 4 days, but not seen anything that says they still are. I'm not disputing it by any means, but something up to date would be nice, rather than relying on possible old information.

On the radio now they were saying 48 hours, but I think at this point all efforts are being made to speed this up. It would not surprise me if people at the moment were still waiting four days.

That is a hell of a lag time though when you begin to think about it considering the exponential curve we are on.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Dami said:

They are late, we got our tax bill today.

I should think it wouldn't be hard to cancel that even at this late stage if the government wants to...big if of course. They may take a different path yet. 

Definitely feels like the public's finances need every bit as much help as business. 

JCB manufacturing closed for the next week.

• Like 1

Posted

I do hope the U.K. or another European country can develop the vaccine first .

Not sure I could cope with Trump renaming it the biggly wonderful Trump vaccine and taking credit for something which he refused to accept was even happening for weeks.

• Like 7

Posted

At least the government have realised the herd immunity strategy was reckless and have started taking this outbreak seriously. Hopefully they will learn lessons about giving clarity and next time something like this happens legislate against panic buying and hoarding. Frankly it should come with a prison sentence some of the scenes in shops have been a disgrace.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Strong words.. good to see their have got up out of bed today,,, 2 months late

I think half the problem is the WHO took way too low to acknowledge what this is, a pandemic.

It was only once they finally accepted that it was a pandemic that governments globally suddenly seemed to click into full lockdowns.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
34 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Found this site with would smoking rates, Germany is pretty high with about 30% of the population

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/smoking-rates-by-country/

The Germans tend to live pretty healthily for the most part. Participate in lots of sports and the majority eat not a bad diet. Not to mention the healthcare system being very well prepared. The Scandinavians are also quite similar, which could also explain the relatively low mortality rate there too. Cleanliness over there is what caught my eye as well. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Not to downplay any of this, but really? Isnt that a little bit strong, even if the death rate was 20%, thats still a strong statement.......unless they know something we dont (unlikely)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

President Trump: "The war on the COVID19 virus will take 30 days and after this, we will be in great shape."

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think half the problem is the WHO took way too low to acknowledge what this is, a pandemic.

It was only once they finally accepted that it was a pandemic that governments globally suddenly seemed to click into full lockdowns.

WHO declared a PHEIC on the 30th of January (pandemic is an anachronism).

You can take a horse to water but..........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
18 minutes ago, emax said:

Only my partner, that works in a local hospital. The tests themselves only take 4 hours, but it's everything in between (logging, dispatch, transport, etc) that's holding them up. I can ask later if there's been any changes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

President Trump: "The war on the COVID19 virus will take 30 days and after this, we will be in great shape."

Ermmm I've just seen a flight of pigs go fly past with make America great again.

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, emax said:

Not to downplay any of this, but really? Isnt that a little bit strong, even if the death rate was 20%, thats still a strong statement.......unless they know something we dont (unlikely)

I wonder if it’s almost like a rallying cry to get us all focused on working together to beat this thing and take it seriously.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, swebby said:

WHO declared a PHEIC on the 30th of January (pandemic is an anachronism).

You can take a horse to water but..........

Of course, but the phrasing pandemic does have a much bigger impact, its no coincidence that there was a huge upticks in lockdown measures or an escalation of efforts by many different countries (pretty much that evening) once that phrasing was used by WHO. They clearly were slow off the mark in calling it what it clearly always was, a pandemic, anachronism or not.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....its probably a duck!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1