Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

Really does feel like another one of those days where every shifts up another gear. We have gone through the gears quite quickly since Thursday.

Here is another interesting article, I have already suggested this might be a good idea, especially as the council tax is well within this governments control to stop for a while.

1256402.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

THE Government could scrap utility bills and council tax for millions of Britons, with guarantees that businesses will also not lose out in a massive rescue package aimed at fighting the impact from the...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

And the new cases are hospital only, and we know they're trying their best only to see the serious cases. 

People anecdoteally reporting symptoms all over the place - My sense is that this is spiraling really quickly, I reckon we're already in the hundreds of thousands of cases. 

Even in the hospital my partner works in, so many of the patients and staff are showing symptoms. Many doctors/nurses self isolating (not all though) and but aren't allowed to be tested. Lack of isolation wards, adequate protocols and protective equipment for the healthcare providers (basic lack of planning and guidance) means it's likely the virus will sweep through. I've read reports of this pattern being repeated elsewhere too

5979.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Consultant Mark Gallagher can’t understand why the NHS is not testing its staff for coronavirus

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

And the new cases are hospital only, and we know they're trying their best only to see the serious cases. 

People anecdoteally reporting symptoms all over the place - My sense is that this is spiraling really quickly, I reckon we're already in the hundreds of thousands of cases. 

Agreed. I suspect Vallance's 50,000 reported yesterday is very conservative, even though i've liked how he's delivered updates. I'll make a hugely unqualified statement - the young (under 30s, incl children) are superspreaders now; many are probably not even showing mild symptoms.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I wish, that seems like the best scenario. quickly build up herd immunity and get this over with. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

"A small number of staff at the UK prime minister's office are self isolating due to symptoms of the coronavirus, the BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg reports.

She understands none of those isolating have been in close proximity to Boris Johnson.

People with symptoms are advised to isolate for seven days if they live alone or 14 days if they live with others.

It comes as one of the UK's leading epidemiologists, Prof Neil Ferguson, said he developed symptoms of the virus after spending time in Downing Street on Monday.

He described Westminster and central London as a "hotbed" for Covid-19." (Source: BBC live)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Even in the hospital my partner works in, so many of the patients and staff are showing symptoms. Many doctors/nurses self isolating (not all though) and but aren't allowed to be tested. Lack of isolation wards, adequate protocols and protective equipment for the healthcare providers (basic lack of planning and guidance) means it's likely the virus will sweep through. I've read reports of this pattern being repeated elsewhere too

5979.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Consultant Mark Gallagher can’t understand why the NHS is not testing its staff for coronavirus

What hospital is that the Memorial 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
34 minutes ago, swebby said:

Seems like a big step change for those aged over 50, possible historic immunity to something that done the rounds in the 60's?

Edit - just to explain - there are circumstance where vaccination/historic immunity can result in an "over reaction" of the immune system.

2nd Edit - NB This is just me musing!  It is an unlikely theory but thought i'd put it out there for discussion.

Sounds plausible to be fair, but was there anything of note around at that time. 

Posted

If someone catches coronavirus and it is an average illness how long is the person likely to be off work? Appreciate it all depends.  There is going to be a period of illness followed by recovery so you are well enough to continue with daily life.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Boro Snow said:

What hospital is that the Memorial 

Yep. Supposedly they're in the process of getting an isolation ward set up atm, but I'll find out what progress has been made when she's home later. I've heard James Cook isn't doing much better, but that's not something I can really verify.

Her main concern is many unwell and elderly patients could so easily catch the virus and die without even being tested. Much of the staff will also be out of action, further putting the patients at risk. Many of the senior and experienced doctors/consultants are in their 50s and 60s, so they are more at risk too.
It's incredibly frustrating because this is a situation that should have been avoided with some basic planning.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Yep. Supposedly they're in the process of getting an isolation ward set up atm, but I'll find out what progress has been made when she's home later. I've heard James Cook isn't doing much better, but that's not something I can really verify.

Her main concern is many unwell and elderly patients could so easily catch the virus and die without even being tested. Much of the staff will also be out of action, further putting the patients at risk. Many of the senior and experienced doctors/consultants are in their 50s and 60s, so they are more at risk too.
It's incredibly frustrating because this is a situation that should have been avoided with some basic planning.

My partner works on the frailty ward, literally with the most vulnerable patients you can imagine.

They're plonking Covid patients on these wards already. It's going to be a disaster.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Jeez I thought we only had one case in Darlington that doesn't fill me up with much confidence, mindue there is a bad cold going about too which I suppose will be confusing matters. 

• Like 1

Posted

I am aghast ....

Paramedics attending people who could be infected with the coronavirus were told only one person in each team of two could wear a face mask, with the other instructed to stand two metres away from the patient if “clinically appropriate”.

The message was sent from controllers to London Ambulance Service (LAS) crews at 3am on Tuesday, prompting paramedics to question why they were ordered to ration face masks.

3577.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

NHS says there are enough masks but distribution issues have led to shortage

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
14 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Agreed. I suspect Vallance's 50,000 reported yesterday is very conservative, even though i've liked how he's delivered updates. I'll make a hugely unqualified statement - the young (under 30s, incl children) are superspreaders now; many are probably not even showing mild symptoms.

This is in my view the most significant uncertainty.  How many have had the virus and not noticed, with either no or mild symptoms?  

I am struggling to mathematically explain the evolution of cases in China, unless either there is misinformation, or that the number of infections that go completely unnoticed is high.

A test that informs that you have had the disease, and have antibodies, is essential to get a handle on this.  

The one positive from this, is that a high value of undetected cases should reduce the duration of this nightmare.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

I normally only click "like" if I strongly agree with a post, but it seems increasingly inappropriate to click "like" for these reasons, as I agree with what you and many are saying, but I don't like it!!

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Jeez I thought we only had one case in Darlington that doesn't fill me up with much confidence, mindue there is a bad cold going about too which I suppose will be confusing matters. 

Tests are taking up to 4 days to come back, which doesn't offer much opportunity to stop it spreading.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

I am aghast ....

3577.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

NHS says there are enough masks but distribution issues have led to shortage

That's because of a shortage unfortunately. 

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

This is in my view the most significant uncertainty.  How many have had the virus and not noticed, with either no or mild symptoms?  

I am struggling to mathematically explain the evolution of cases in China, unless either there is misinformation, or that the number of infections that go completely unnoticed is high.

A test that informs that you have had the disease, and have antibodies, is essential to get a handle on this.  

The one positive from this, is that a high value of undetected cases should reduce the duration of this nightmare.

Hope so, but often it's a week into the infection that the trouble starts - if my guess on numbers is right, then the serious trouble begins next week.

• Like 1

Posted
WWW.HSE.GOV.UK

Coronavirus: latest information and advice.

Latest advice.  I repeat what I said before.

THE HEALTH AND SAFETY AT WORK ACT IS AN ACT OF PARLIMENT.  This means it is against the LAW to put staff at risk.  An employer has a duty of care to his staff.  If you are being pressured to going into work ask for a risk assessment from your company showing it is safe for you to work.  They cannot fire you without good reason and this legislation applies to everybody.

Hope this helps some of you.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

My partner works on the frailty ward, literally with the most vulnerable patients you can imagine.

They're plonking Covid patients on these wards already. It's going to be a disaster.

Which hospital is this? We can all see there's the possibility of a cluster in Hampshire.

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Just need a huge volcanic eruption now and that would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Bumbling Boris may decide to close the schools. The decision again will probably be made for him due to staff illness.

Whelp, We have a comet incoming (not at earth!) that's already 100x brighter than what was predicted called ATLAS (C/2019 Y4), and if it keeps on with the current increase would put it at -10 mag (think crescent moon brightness) in May, making it a daylight comet  Big bright green colored one too  

Can see the doomsayers really ramping up if it does  

Source:https://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=17&month=03&year=2020

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Which hospital is this? We can all see there's the possibility of a cluster in Hampshire.

PM me for details - I don't want to get her in trouble by accident.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Hope so, but often it's a week into the infection that the trouble starts - if my guess on numbers is right, then the serious trouble begins next week.

Yes, but that is with noticeable symptoms in the first week too, I think, then a worsening.  It is those that never know they caught it that I was talking about.

But I agree the exponential growth by itself says the serious trouble starts next week.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Crikey, I have only just looked at the currency exchange numbers. The € is 1.08 to the £ - the lowest I have seen it in a very long time and $1.18 to the £.