Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I agree . It’s tripe. As for the Eurovision Song Contest. I’m gutted , absolutely love that . Its like an LSD trip with most of the groups on another planet . 

Agreed! Many Brits find it tacky but it's a really fun occasion that seems to bring the whole of Europe (+Israel, Australia..) together! The cancellation was inevitable but still disappointing.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

One of the problems of closing schools is what to do with the little darlings.  Let them wander round in rabid packs might not be the best answer?

Yep. Been saying so for days, on here. And they'll be with their parents or temporary 'carers' in their droves in supermarkets, shopping malls, etc next week.

New research from Oxford uni, cant post link, suggests Italian spread issue has been made far worse by the inter-generational living. According to the researchers , the young working Italians commute into the cities, only to return to households with not just parents in, but the grandparents as well. The research goes on to say that younger ones, under 30s, may not be showing any signs or symptoms whatsoever, but are carrying the virus and spreading. Same for the young children as well, maybe? 

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
4 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

5779 new tests, of which 676 were positive. That's 11.7%.

TestsvInfectionsUK_18_3.thumb.png.d183064e026eea150f7ec4c67b409dae.png

Our daily figures over the past week seem to be experiencing big swings, but today's is quite a sharp increase.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'll share this story with you as it has really hit home with me.

I went to visit one of my few remaining clients this morning - a man in his 70s with advanced Parkison's disease who finds it difficult to communicate, feed himself and manage his home. His house was once beautiful but is now delapidated. When I arrived, there were flies absolutely all over the kitchen and the floor was filthy along with a smell of rotting food. He was wearing Crocs covered in mud from having been in the garden and the mud was all over the floors and the on the coffee table where he rests his feet while watching drivel on the TV all day.

The reason is that he is now limited to one visit a day and as of an hour ago none. He gets a nurse visit in the evening but they don't do any cleaning or cooking. He is just about able to cook for himself but caused a frying pan fire a couple of weeks ago when I was there that I had to put out. Normally on  afriday myself and/or my colleagues prepare all this meals for the weekend and every day he gets a midday meal made and one for the evening.

I vacuumed the entire house and washed the floors and cleaned his shoes. I washed his face which was covered in dried food and saliva.

He has a cat for company but there was cat litter and cat poo all over the floor near it where he had tried to clean the tray.

This is just one person. How many more are there who are innocent but evident victims of this beastly situation?

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Perhaps they'll stick with the idea to keep schools open as daycare centres with lower staff numbers (those not quarantining), relieving pressure on working NHS parents. I thought that idea was doing the rounds?

Or they'll enforce social distancing and the kids won't be allowed out.

Perhaps I can take up the skills I learnt from my blacksmith grandfather and make a killing flogging shackles and chains.

Funny that the argument for closing schools has been turned on its head to some degree. Once again no one answer fits all. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Yep. Been saying so for days, on here. And they'll be with their parents or temporary 'carers' in their droves in supermarkets, shopping malls, etc next week.

New research from Oxford uni, cant post link, suggests Italian spread issue has been made far worse by the inter-generational living. According to the researchers , the young working Italians commute into the cities, only to return to households with not just parents in, but the grandparents as well.

Yes they love their grandparents and don’t just treat them as child carers. Only slightly joking. 

Posted

Great, as a type 2 diabetic i have to adhere to extreme social distancing , yet i phoned work and they told me i have to come in friday yet it is impossible to follow gov advice on distancing at work.

Thrown to the wolves then.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

New research from Oxford uni, cant post link, suggests Italian spread issue has been made far worse by the inter-generational living. According to the researchers , the young working Italians commute into the cities, only to return to households with not just parents in, but the grandparents as well. The research goes on to say that younger ones, under 30s, may not be showing any signs or symptoms whatsoever, but are carrying the virus and spreading. Same for the young children as well, maybe? 

Yes, however the big problem IMO is there simply isn't enough staff to go around anymore, for example we've had now 22 off (including myself) either through having symptoms or others in family and that is only going to get worse next week...its not sustainable. Nicola Sturgeon said as much. At some point the reality means it is no longer safe.

Much better to run a far reduced service for key workers and to provide services for those who require it. I suspect many schools have been making plans for such eventuality, I know mine has been.

I however defiantly understand your point, hence why they have left it as long as they can...but schools will be forced to shut soon regardless of officially or not, best to get ahead of the curve so we can maintain some access for those whose parents are key workers.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Our daily figures over the past week seem to be experiencing big swings, but today's is quite a sharp increase.

Today figures seem around a 30-35% increase... Very worrying

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Sky news now reporting live from central London showing scenes of a mortuary being expanded..

Is this really necessary? I think this type of reporting really cross the line and will no doubt induce stress and panic. Really disgusting and irresponsible IMO. 

Disgusting and some in the media seem intent on adding to the stress and anxiety many feel.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, Climate Man said:

For me supermarkets are now one of the biggest transfer risks and more time is being spent there, in crowds, to find goods.

Completely agree. It needs to stop.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I'll share this story with you as it has really hit home with me.

I went to visit one of my few remaining clients this morning - a man in his 70s with advanced Parkison's disease who finds it difficult to communicate, feed himself and manage his home. His house was once beautiful but is now delapidated. When I arrived, there were flies absolutely all over the kitchen and the floor was filthy along with a smell of rotting food. He was wearing Crocs covered in mud from having been in the garden and the mud was all over the floors and the on the coffee table where he rests his feet while watching drivel on the TV all day.

The reason is that he is now limited to one visit a day and as of an hour ago none. He gets a nurse visit in the evening but they don't do any cleaning or cooking. He is just about able to cook for himself but caused a frying pan fire a couple of weeks ago when I was there that I had to put out. Normally on  afriday myself and/or my colleagues prepare all this meals for the weekend and every day he gets a midday meal made and one for the evening.

I vacuumed the entire house and washed the floors and cleaned his shoes. I washed his face which was covered in dried food and saliva.

He has a cat for company but there was cat litter and cat poo all over the floor near it where he had tried to clean the tray.

This is just one person. How many more are there who are innocent but evident victims of this beastly situation?

Heart breaking. All we can do is what you did, help where possible

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here are some epidemiological curves that are clearly not Bell curves: 

WWW.RESEARCHGATE.NET

ResearchGate is a network dedicated to science and research. Connect, collaborate and discover scientific publications, jobs and conferences...

A Bell curve has symmetrical tails, thus: image.thumb.png.1732eae5ebbfc87661e65666e1d2a5b7.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Sky news now reporting live from central London showing scenes of a mortuary being expanded..

Is this really necessary? I think this type of reporting really cross the line and will no doubt induce stress and panic. Really disgusting and irresponsible IMO. 

My guess is they are trying to scare people into following guidelines rather then increasing measures to force people to follow them. If we don't listen it will be our own fault when forced to stay in and fined if not. 

• Like 2

Posted

London is braced for a lockdown as the Government prepares emergency legislation to prevent the spread of coronavirus, The Telegraph understands.

Sources close to the mayor’s office say they expect a shutdown of the capital in the coming days. Legislation in the Coronavirus Bill would give the Government emergency powers to “close premises” and “restrict or prohibit events and gatherings” that includes restricting transport networks.

TELEMMGLPICT000228096381-xlarge_trans_Nv
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

London is braced for a lockdown as the Government prepares emergency legislation to prevent the spread of coronavirus, The Telegraph understands.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Is this really necessary? I think this type of reporting really cross the line and will no doubt induce stress and panic. Really disgusting IMO. 

You know what ... a healthy dose of panic might be just what is needed to get some people to take this seriously. Far too many blithely going about their business/social lives, oblivious to the dangers.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yes, however the big problem IMO is there simply isn't enough staff to go around anymore, for example we've had now 22 off (including myself) either through having symptoms or others in family and that is only going to get worse next week...its not sustainable. Nicola Sturgeon said as much. At some point the reality means it is no longer safe.

Much better to run a far reduced service for key workers and to provide services for those who require it. I suspect many schools have been making plans for such eventuality, I know mine has been.

I however defiantly understand your point, hence why they have left it as long as they can...but schools will be forced to shut soon regardless of officially or not, best to get ahead of the curve so we can maintain some access for those whose parents are key workers.

Schools for key workers a good idea.  But then of course who is a key worker?  Yet more arguments how far it is extended. 

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It's a real conundrum.

I work from home so I would keep my kids home (if I had them), but i can understand why it's so difficult for those who can't work from home. They have to understand it's not a holiday and excuse to "muck about" - though I know full well if I was a teenager I would do exactly that.

Took mine out last week, didn't see the point in letting them spread it, should have been done long ago, with limited provision for essential workers, too little too late.

Posted

The Gov need to act now on the advice for people with underlying heath issues.

Work are forcing me to come in as i have no symptoms but Gov advice is for me to exercise extreme social distancing, i cant do that around 400 people!!

What can i do???

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

You know what ... a healthy dose of panic might be just what is needed to get some people to take this seriously. Far too many blithely going about their business/social lives, oblivious to the dangers.

Agree I have friends still going down the pub...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

Schools for key workers a good idea.  But then of course who is a key worker?  Yet more arguments how far it is extended. 

Indeed will care home workers for example be classed as a key worker? Not just nhs and ermegency staff also the factory workers making these shiny new ventilators

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Cumulative confirmed cases below.

Confirmed_18_3.thumb.png.7b278cf268329880968aaa17a93a7849.png

• Like 1