Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted

Not sure this as been mentioned  but i understnd Hunan province  as confirmed an outbreak of bird flu.   It never rains.

file6x6qw2lhj4mni42y6b7-1584367888.jpg
DAILYTIMES.COM.PK

In the shadow of the coronavirus outbreak, a deadly disease has emerged in chickens in a Chinese province near the epicenter of the outbreak.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, jules216 said:

I work as main buyer of commodities from worldwide origins and also purchase many Chinese agriculture products, for example Pine Nuts or Goji Berries. We have always had terrible difficulties receiving product specifications from chinese suppliers. Goji berries have terrible pesticide problems and many European suppliers have to do additional testing. It was only matter of time that some more aggressive virus emerged from there. I would even go as far and say countries should seek some kind of reparation slash compensation from China because of this crisis.

in essence what we did with globalization is we exported our pollution and jobs to China and we imported their cheap trinkets and unemployment. And China used all that money we gave them for their plastic junk to buy up Africa and the rest of the 3rd world

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Agree with @emax; Matty's input is fascinating and I hope he will continue - but also agree with @Jo Farrow on this - the thread should not become a medical advice platform - of course if @matty007 or anyone else really wanted to, there's always the option of using private messages to discuss absolutely anything people want, though no-one should message someone else asking for medical advice, a message could be offered though if someone wanted to offer it, as emax says, individual responsibility?

I'll quit trying to be a "mod" now

Whole heartedly agree. Yes medications are important but keep personal medical conditions as far as possible out of it. There is bound to be an increasing overlap as many will be infected so we will all be  interested on how they get on.

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

BoJo states 'school closure decisions imminent' whatever that entails...

Cousin's school has asked the entirety of year 9 to not come in today due to staff shortages, although it seems apparent that students from all year groups are either self isolating or not coming in anyways..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just need a huge volcanic eruption now and that would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Bumbling Boris may decide to close the schools. The decision again will probably be made for him due to staff illness.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Afternoon all,

Question about Covid and the immune system, during and after pregnancy. My friend is pregnant and is now staying in for the next 12 weeks. Is this advice to protect the baby? And are pregnant women more likely to catch Covid due to the immune system being suppressed? 

what about people who have recently had a baby? I think it takes a few months for the immune system to get back to normal? Are they more at risk of catching Covid too? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
6 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Perhaps we should should sanction the USA, then...as far as I'm aware, they 'created' (even blame-games need to be fair?) both Spanish Flu and Legionnaires' Disease...?

The jury is out on Spanish flu.  Might have been a USA source but a British Army camp is also a possible source from what I read, unless, of course, I misunderstood that.  You can educate me here on how the USA were responsible for legionnaire’s disease.  I genuinely don’t know about this?  However, the point is surely with modern understanding of hygiene on how disease spreads (whatever the pathogen - virus, fungi, bacteria etc) cramming animals (some also on the worlds most endangered list) dead or alive into crates stacked on top of each other is not a modern view of health and hygiene - I’m sure  you can see that with your educational background into prions etc?    Have you seen the photos of animals being butchered alive one after another on the same work surfaces with the same utensils?  There is surely no excuse for this in a modern world especially with the worldwide repercussions we are now witnessing? The photo’s are horrific and so remind me of scenes from Deadwood and Hell on Wheels  

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Tilly said:

Afternoon all,

Question about Covid and the immune system, during and after pregnancy. My friend is pregnant and is now staying in for the next 12 weeks. Is this advice to protect the baby? And are pregnant women more likely to catch Covid due to the immune system being suppressed? 

what about people who have recently had a baby? I think it takes a few months for the immune system to get back to normal? Are they more at risk of catching Covid too? 

Bab  With all due respect i dont think this is the place  to answer your questions    Maybe contact the NHS or dial 111  or google  there is loads of information out there

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Bab  With all due respect i dont think this is the place  to answer your questions    Maybe contact the NHS or dial 111  or google  there is loads of information out there

Please don't call 111, or advise people to call 111 with general questions. You will be preventing people that genuinely need the service, from getting through.

The Government/NHS Advice for using 111 can be found here :

External_0320_coronavirus_02.width-1200.
WWW.NHS.UK

NHS advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), including what to do if you think you have it and how to reduce your chances of getting it.

'Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:

- you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home

- your condition gets worse

- your symptoms do not get better after 7 days

Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.'

Edited by jtay
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Nicola Sturgeon: "At this stage, I cannot promise they will reopen before the summer holidays"

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

not sure why schools haven't closed..they closed here last Friday until Sept ..the outbreak is far less serious thus far than back home...in fact they have closed everything as of yesterday except grocery stores and take aways 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

..... and we imported their cheap trinkets....

mobile phones, computers, myriad electrical white goods, textiles, steel, car parts (and more general manufacturing raw materials), pharmaceuticals, chemicals etc etc. China is in essence the worlds de facto manufacturer supporting the current global economic system. The only way to change that is to radically change the economic system - maybe this will be the shock needed to do that?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, jtay said:

Please don't call 111, or advise people to call 111 with general questions. You will be preventing people that genuinely need the service, from getting through.

The Government/NHS Advice for using 111 can be found here :

External_0320_coronavirus_02.width-1200.
WWW.NHS.UK

NHS advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), including what to do if you think you have it and how to reduce your chances of getting it.

'Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:

- you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home

- your condition gets worse

- your symptoms do not get better after 7 days

Only call 111 if you cannot get help online.'

Ok  But the point still stands  i dont think this place is the right arena to be posting questions   Highlighted by my rather naive response 

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Tilly said:

Afternoon all,

You might find this helpful.

rcog-logo.jpg
WWW.RCOG.ORG.UK

Information about coronavirus for pregnant women and their families

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Good news- “favipiravir, developed by a subsidiary of Fujifilm, had produced encouraging outcomes in clinical trials in Wuhan and Shenzhen in 340 patients with “high degree of safety and is clearly effective in treatment”. How well? Thread #COVID19 
https://t.co/8x0Pu2MGoV

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Sky news reporting that 25 out of 71 deaths (35%) and 601 out of 1950 positive cases (30%) are in London. 

London has around 14% of the UK population.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

That is an incrediable statement, possibly not open for the rest of the academic year. If that is the case and its just a skeleton staff I think I will try and get out there and volunteer somewhere once I'm over this, maybe do some delivery work for some people (I have an estate so can hold a good amount). Want to help out and do my part so to speak.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
26 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Thank you. That study does not have any official endorsement. In fact at the bottom it says:

"The findings and conclusions in this letter are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the Department of Health and Human Services."

There is an awful lot of unofficial material flying around and I think a sensible approach is to stick with official or very reputable sources.

• Like 5