Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Assemblies are nothing if not mass gatherings, they 100% should be gone as they must be real spread zones.

Jeremy Corbyn is quite right when he talks about ssp needing to be increased, I've said that many times now.

I understand  but the assemblies  were not full schools assemblies   I dont think there would be space to house over 1000 pupils    infact the assemblies  probably have less than the numbers quoted for dinner breaks 

• Like 2

Posted

Aiming for 25k tests in the UK now according to Boris Johnson.

This is vital and will help the NHS to test people who are ill within the health service workers as well as testing people in hospitals who clearly need it.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

The EU can’t win here . Health decisions are not a legal competence of the EU and each nation can do what they like . If they started interfering then they’d get criticized.

As for thanking China . Unless the virus landed on a spaceship from Mars then so far the evidence points to it starting in that country .

The WTO and most other governments have been very diplomatic so far but the world can’t be put through this again and so hopefully the penny might finally have dropped that some of their food practices need to be outlawed .

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

They have the best equipped health system in Europe; 25000-28000 respiratory machines in their health service. Major world manufacturer of them is German; German govt have ordered another 10,000. I posted some details on here the other day.

Yes, but at this stage, it makes no difference whatsoever to the deaths. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
1 hour ago, matty007 said:

I was just thinking again about that picture of the underground...deary me.

When we consider that this virus is very likely to spread by aerosolization, and not just simple droplet transmission, just imagine how many are inhaling viral particles. It has been concluded that the viral particles can be an aerosol for upwards of 4 hours. So if someone with this coughs in the underground, that is potentially hundreds of people walking through its invisible cloud, and inhaling it.

That is what is so bad about this virus. Asymptomatic spread, and aerosolization.

Exactly Matty, it has been clear for a good while now that the speed of transmission could not be explained by touch / physical transmission alone, and this is the key piece of information that is not being publicised. If people knew that they could catch it simply by 'breathing someone else's air', and that in a confined space that 'air' could remain contagious for as you say 'upwards of 4 hours' then that would I'm sure I have a dramatic effect on peoples behaviours. Think of all the environments where infection is likely based on that approach and you quickly get an insight into the real reason this disease is so contagious and spreads so easily and quickly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 minute ago, emax said:

This is what I was thinking.

The UK doesn't seem to be at capacity for ICU/ventillators yet, but we have sig. more deaths than Germany (who also don't seem to be at capacity).

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

That sounds like a very wise idea and I have no doubt that such a measure will get widespread support from schools to ensure that people who are in the front line of this battle can stay doing what they are doing best.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
2 hours ago, jules216 said:

I work as main buyer of commodities from worldwide origins and also purchase many Chinese agriculture products, for example Pine Nuts or Goji Berries. We have always had terrible difficulties receiving product specifications from chinese suppliers. Goji berries have terrible pesticide problems and many European suppliers have to do additional testing. It was only matter of time that some more aggressive virus emerged from there. I would even go as far and say countries should seek some kind of reparation slash compensation from China because of this crisis.

This post will not go down well but I partly agree here.  Absolutely not going to get into any politics but will simply observe the known historical fact that other countries have had to pay a price for their actions in the past - Germany did following WW1 and WW2, Iraq was subject to scrutiny over possible WMD and other countries have faced sanctions for all manner of issues down the years.  When all this is done and dusted the very least to be done is an assurance backed up by evidence that China has shut down these wet markets and can tangibly demonstrate that they are actively keeping the lid on them.  If that means international inspectors then so be it.  I shall certainly in the future be watching the country in which items were made and avoiding appropriately.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

That sounds like a very wise idea and I have no doubt that such a measure will get widespread support from schools to ensure that people who are in the front line of this battle can stay doing what they are doing best.

That’s what’s been implemented in France . That was always a concern if you closed schools .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

This post will not go down well but I partly agree here.  Absolutely not going to get into any politics but will simply observe the known historical fact that other countries have had to pay a price for their actions in the past - Germany did following WW1 and WW2, Iraq was subject to scrutiny over possible WMD and other countries have faced sanctions for all manner of issues down the years.  When all this is done and dusted the very least to be done is an assurance backed up by evidence that China has shut down these wet markets and can tangibly demonstrate that they are actively keeping the lid on them.  If that means international inspectors then so be it.  I shall certainly in the future be watching the country in which items were made and avoiding appropriately.

Perhaps we should should sanction the USA, then...as far as I'm aware, they 'created' (even blame-games need to be fair?) both Spanish Flu and Legionnaires' Disease...?

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

This is a good idea, I think the fact that even Trump has suggested something like that, makes it possible if things go downhill any further and we have to proper lockdown.

Portugal seeing a large uptick in cases, up 194 cases. Not surprising when your so close to Spain which has blown up in terms of cases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, matty007 said:

I was just thinking again about that picture of the underground...deary me.

When we consider that this virus is very likely to spread by aerosolization, and not just simple droplet transmission, just imagine how many are inhaling viral particles. It has been concluded that the viral particles can be an aerosol for upwards of 4 hours. So if someone with this coughs in the underground, that is potentially hundreds of people walking through its invisible cloud, and inhaling it.

That is what is so bad about this virus. Asymptomatic spread, and aerosolization.

Can I ask what your source of this information is please as it seems out of odds with the World Health Organisation. Their continually updated Q&A currently says the following:

How does COVID-19 spread?

People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.

Can the virus that causes COVID-19 be transmitted through the air?

Studies to date suggest that the virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through contact with respiratory droplets rather than through the air.  See previous answer on “How does COVID-19 spread?”

Source: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, emax said:

Really?! Latest stats show deaths in Germany to still be v low, compared to positive tests. So unless you've 'access' to the German hospitals in some capacity to see for yourself, surely the equipment will be in use right now saving lives. Maybe i'm being presumptious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

our school has just confirmed there are families in the village self -isolating and home school packs will be available in 48hrs. They have been planning for shut down by Friday (hubby is a governor, so i'm more in the loop). we also have been told my daughters 3 day school trip has been postponed till next September.

They are planning to stay open as long as possible, but have told NHS workers with child care issues to contact them.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Can I ask what your source of this information is please as it seems out of odds with the World Health Organisation. Their continually updated Q&A currently says the following:

How does COVID-19 spread?

People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person. Other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these objects or surfaces, then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets. This is why it is important to stay more than 1 meter (3 feet) away from a person who is sick.

Can the virus that causes COVID-19 be transmitted through the air?

Studies to date suggest that the virus that causes COVID-19 is mainly transmitted through contact with respiratory droplets rather than through the air.  See previous answer on “How does COVID-19 spread?”

Source: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

I suspect it is coming from this...

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973#.XnGGKWVPq0Q

• Like 2

Posted

Trump on his fb page

Donald J. Trump

23 mins · 

For the people that are now out of work because of the important and necessary containment policies, for instance the shutting down of hotels, bars and restaurants, money will soon be coming to you. The onslaught of the Chinese Virus is not your fault! Will be stronger than ever!

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, emax said:

I agree!

I understand if the thread needs to be kept to a certain topic or criteria, then fair enough. But regarding discussing medical opinions or discussing studies on certain drugs etc, then its very interesting to me. Nothing to do with personal health, just an interesting discussion. 

And no offence to anyone, but if people are going to start or stop taking certain medications because of a theoretical discussion on a weather forum, then thats their problem really. Its all a bit too silly if you ask me.

Agree with @emax; Matty's input is fascinating and I hope he will continue - but also agree with @Jo Farrow on this - the thread should not become a medical advice platform - of course if @matty007 or anyone else really wanted to, there's always the option of using private messages to discuss absolutely anything people want, though no-one should message someone else asking for medical advice, a message could be offered though if someone wanted to offer it, as emax says, individual responsibility?

I'll quit trying to be a "mod" now

• Like 3