Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

It looks very desolate at school today. About 400 people at my school were absent yesterday.

Just popped to out local tesco express for my regular Daily Mail and there were two mums in there, with their school age kids running amok (i was tempted to trip one of them up). So, taking them out of school which is still open behind my house, and then deciding to take them out into a shop full of people. 

Twisted logic there, esp as one of the adults could've looked after them all, whilst other numpty vicki pollard could've done the shopping.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Just popped to out local tesco express for my regular Daily Mail 

Good to hear they have toilet paper back in stock!

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

You should consider that there are many factors that could determine the outcome of this virus. Not just the virus itself. Many other conditions can greatly affect the presentation in different people. Talking about Diabetes etc may seem off-topic, but it absolutely will come into play with this virus.

Don't get me wrong, when we go down the route of talking about ACE2 etc it is maybe getting a little technical, and we should ration that, but most posts have been informative.

I am trying to keep a fine balance between talking directly about the virus, and things that could come into play with it. It's all research. I do agree however that I shall stop talking about conditions that relate to individuals and stop trying to give advice. I have been very cautious about giving advice that should be given by their own GP, and don't think I have overstepped that mark, but I shall stop it from now

what I really want to know is who ends up needing intensive care. According to the news in the Netherlands half IC patients are apparently younger than 50 and previously in good health but is that really true? Are they overweight, smokers, do they exercise etc. etc

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

16 areas in England remain with just 1 confirmed case

1. Redcar and Cleveland 
  2. Darlington
  3. Blackburn with Darwen
  4. Kingston upon Hull, City of
  5. North Lincolnshire
  6. Herefordshire, County of
  7. Thurrock
  8. County Durham
  9. Bedford
  10. Knowsley
  11. Rotherham
  12. Sheffield
  13. Sunderland
  14. Solihull
  15. Kingston upon Thames
  16. Worcestershire

Stoke-on-Trent still has no reported cases (well other than the 2 that were brought in from elsewhere to the Infectious Diseases Unit at Hartshill, but as far as I'm concerned they don't count).

Posted

Lloyds TSB in Andover had 2 employees test positive for Covid-19 on friday (a big open plan office of about 100-150 workers). They closed the office over the weekend for a clean but have now re-opened and forced staff to come back in - despite i'm guessing a fair few of them having had contact with the infected workers.

Is that right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Just been reading the Guardian blog on the virus .

Quite a lot there about several different drugs that have helped to varying degrees most notably Avigan.

But it seems that getting to the virus early might be key.

So really before symptoms have worsened , and of course before the virus has multiplied .

Logistically trying to manufacture a lot more of a drug can be difficult and getting it to the right people .

How do you catch Covid 19 early, when the advise is not to contact 111 until your already 7 days in and not recovered. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Good to hear they have toilet paper back in stock!

Actually on that point, and use of kitchen roll for the loo, i've seen loads of people buying it instead, as loo roll not on shelves. All these different papers are likely to clog up the sewage waste systems; that is a possible serious concern for some localities 

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Companies have answered Boris' plea to make ventilators

Vauxhall and Airbus to 3D-print parts in ‘wartime’ drive to make 20,000 ventilators in weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/17/uk-manufacturers-regear-factories-build-ventilators-nhs

This is great news!! so pleased!

Anyway Iran up 1200 cases but I fget the feeling based on the fact they aren't rising anymore that they may just be at their testing limits are met.

147 deaths from there today as well, so that is still steadily ticking up, deaths upto 1135.

Spain deaths now up 65, but far lower than yesterday so that is one small piece of good news from there, despite a huge uptick in cases.

Also 1st death in Pakistan and Burkina Faso.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Thank you

Just trying to help, and add to this thread. I think it's a fantastically  interesting thread with many good people.

Still, NO-ONE is to give medical advice on this thread. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
21 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Companies have answered Boris' plea to make ventilators

Vauxhall and Airbus to 3D-print parts in ‘wartime’ drive to make 20,000 ventilators in weeks

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/17/uk-manufacturers-regear-factories-build-ventilators-nhs

Very good news, and will be much needed.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Actually on that point, and use of kitchen roll for the loo, i've seen loads of people buying it instead, as loo roll not on shelves. All these different papers are likely to clog up the sewage waste systems; that is a possible serious concern for some localities 

The biggest concern are baby wipes, they are notoriously bad at blocking drains, made worse due to the fact that many modern estates have far less robust drain systems.

Speaking as someone who now works for a water company and lives on a new build estate.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, Jo Farrow said:

Still, NO-ONE is to give medical advice on this thread. 

Okay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Another symptom which I experienced before my Cold Virus?,  of 3 Weeks was a left sided abdominal pain, and a feeling of Nausea and bloating.

It was concerning enough for me to visit my G.P. 

Since coming out of Hospital after my C.V.A.(Cerebrovascular Accident, Medical term for a Stroke), in Sept.2015, I've been taking Movicol Powders, for constipation. My C.V.A. affected the peristalsis action, in my intestinal tract, and caused severe constipation.

Movicol has cured this problem but my Wife thought that prolonged use, may have irritated my intestinal tract and thought it might be a good idea to cut it out, for a couple of Days. But these symptoms continued, and I ended up at my G.P., who thought I may be developing Diverticulitis.

The symptoms went away on their own, and that's when my Cough/Cold started. I then developed a pain, across the whole of my abdomen, made worse by coughing. I thought with coughing so much, I'd pulled a muscle?

This general stomach pain, is another symptom  my Wife has been experiencing, this Morning but don't think she has been coughing long enough, to have pulled a muscle.

One other element about the Coronavirus, which I HAVN'T heard about. Does it affect your appetite?

All through the 3 Weeks of my Cold?, my appetite was fine and I ate really well and didn't feel sick, at all.

I can only remember having Influenza a couple of times, and on both times couldn't face food. For myself, it became the "marker", between the common Cold and Influenza. I got a retort from a Member for suggesting the old adage of, "Feed a Cold, and starve a Fever".

Another thing myself and my Wife have noticed over the last couple of Years, are what we call faux Cold symptoms, or as a nod to Trump, fake Colds. Vague symptoms such as an itchy nose and tickly throat start, and just when you think a Cold is going to erupt, the symptoms vanish and you feel as "right as rain". 

Have any other Members experienced these "faux" Colds?

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
20 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Just popped to out local tesco express for my regular Daily Mail and there were two mums in there, with their school age kids running amok (i was tempted to trip one of them up). So, taking them out of school which is still open behind my house, and then deciding to take them out into a shop full of people. 

Twisted logic there, esp as one of the adults could've looked after them all, whilst other numpty vicki pollard could've done the shopping.

I'm sorry but according to our great PM, the kids don't need to self isolate unless someone is showing symptoms. So I don't get whats wrong with a couple of mums out doing some normal shopping with their kids. Maybe the kids have to social distance due to underlying conditions, so they can still go out in less crowded areas but not in a classroom or school with 100's of other kid. Maybe they don't go to that school, maybe their school is shut.

Don't be so judgemental.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

We usually do a forecast about getting out and about on Mothering Sunday. Little point this year. Sunday 22nd March if you have a card to post. Restaurants and  cafes usually do a roaring trade for that day, another loss, people going on walks as families. National Trust have closed their houses but now are opening many of their gardens and parks free of charge for people to walk, well spaced. That may change if schools close and restrictions are heightened

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

As Jo just mentioned, a nice gesture from the National Trust. 

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Another symptom which I experienced before my Cold Virus?,  of 3 Weeks was a left sided abdominal pain, and a feeling of Nausea and bloating.

It was concerning enough for me to visit my G.P. 

Since coming out of Hospital after my C.V.A.(Cerebrovascular Accident, Medical term for a Stroke), in Sept.2015, I've been taking Movicol Powders, for constipation. My C.V.A. affected the peristalsis action, in my intestinal tract, and caused severe constipation.

Movicol has cured this problem but my Wife thought that prolonged use, may have irritated my intestinal tract and thought it might be a good idea to cut it out, for a couple of Days. But these symptoms continued, and I ended up at my G.P., who thought I may be developing Diverticulitis.

The symptoms went away on their own, and that's when my Cough/Cold started. I then developed a pain, across the whole of my abdomen, made worse by coughing. I thought with coughing so much, I'd pulled a muscle?

This general stomach pain, is another symptom  my Wife has been experiencing, this Morning but don't think she has been coughing long enough, to have pulled a muscle.

One other element about the Coronavirus, which I HAVN'T heard about. Does it affect your appetite?

All through the 3 Weeks of my Cold?, my appetite was fine and I ate really well and didn't feel sick, at all.

I can only remember having Influenza a couple of times, and on both times couldn't face food. For myself, it became the "marker", between the common Cold and Influenza. I got a retort from a Member for suggesting the old adage of, "Feed a Cold, and starve a Fever".

Another thing myself and my Wife have noticed over the last couple of Years, are what we call faux Cold symptoms, or as a nod to Trump, fake Colds. Vague symptoms such as an itchy nose and tickly throat start, and just when you think a Cold is going to erupt, the symptoms vanish and you feel as "right as rain". 

Have any other Members experienced these "faux" Colds?

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

I too have noticed the ‘faux’ cold phenomenon, I wonder if it’s just to do with the body building up immunity to the different strains of the virus as the years go on. Symptoms start to take hold but then your acquired antibodies quickly fight it off?

Edited by Duncan McAlister
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
11 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Yeah, good to see that supermarkets are fighting back against the panic buying and striving to protect the most vulnerable.  Hopefully with time they will be able to evolve a good balance with their levels of rationing that will calm things down so that we can go back to shopping much as before, though of course with some changes in emphasis due to more people spending more time at home and in some cases self-isolating.

Easier said than done though.  Have done mums shopping for her online now for over 3 years and pay up front for deliveries with a delivery ticket.  She’s 88 now but sadly I cannot even get to speak to anyone at all at Sainsbury’s just to make sure they have her flagged as vulnerable customer and cannot find one free delivery slot.    We do a smaller shop in Waitrose and she has rung the local Waitrose store we use and thankfully it seems they will deliver to her so I sense a change of allegiance coming on here when all this nightmare is through.  

• Like 1

Posted

Assembles  cancelled at our sons school    However Dinner breaks still to go ahead   which will be staggered to only allow 200 people in at any one time.  LOL

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Assembles  cancelled at our sons school    However Dinner breaks still to go ahead   which will be staggered to only allow 200 people in at any one time.  LOL

“We have to be firm and steady in our approach to ensure everyone is exposed to the virus in controlled way”

it’s not laughing matter I know - but this is ridiculous

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Anyway, I think sending out the cheque to everyone is actually a good idea: it's far more efficient than a tax cut. See here:

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
BFTV: Edited out reference to removed comments
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Assemblies are nothing if not mass gatherings, they 100% should be gone as they must be real spread zones.

Jeremy Corbyn is quite right when he talks about ssp needing to be increased, I've said that many times now.