Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

This year's Tour de Yorkshire has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The sixth edition of the race had been scheduled to take place across the county from 30 April to 3 May.

Dates are being looked at for the event to be staged later on in the year.

• Like 1

Posted

Philippines reported another 3 deaths. I get the feeling the SE Asia countries apart from maybe Malaysia are under-reporting the cases they have, since they are reporting a fair number of deaths for the amount of cases they have.

SB - yes, I think the problem for Spain is one of their first clusters was in Madrid, which is literally the central point of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

So am i right in thinking Trump is giving everyone a grand to tie them over until this dies down?

That wouldn't even cover half my months wages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
11 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Spain has had a additional 2538 confirmed cases and 67 deaths (Update this morning) 24 hours from data

J5AQHIRKPBA6BJDJMYYOD354CA.JPG
ELPAIS.COM

El presidente del Gobierno : “Lo más duro está por llegar” | El Rey dirigirá un mensaje al país a las 21.00 | España registra 13.716 contagios y...

1,890 new cases of coronavirus and 25 new deaths according to BNO. Deaths wise it's a significant drop compared with yesterday morning when they announced 149.

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

So am i right in thinking Trump is giving everyone a grand to tie them over until this dies down?

i believe so.  My post was more related to the response below that   which i found amusing  and at the same time tragic. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, matty007 said:

There does certainly seem to be growing evidence that excessive nicotine consumption can promote cardiovascular and pulmonary conditions. Mostly due to a downregulation of ACE2 receptors and impairment of RAS homeostasis

I am largely of the opinion however, that the risk is quite low with nominal consumption. And I would also believe that nicotine may exacerbate already present conditions such as hypertension and lung diseases, and not directly cause them. Honestly, there are many harmful substances that are MUCH more damaging than Nicotine.

It is very good that you are giving your time and advice from the apparent experience you have. But would it not be better to start a new thread “Ailments I know and love”?  There seems to be too many on here caught up with their own preexisting ailments.  

We all have medical conditions but not all us go round and round in circles trying to discuss them with a crowd of strangers.

I would much prefer this thread to be good information about the spread of this virus and not a huge speculation drama  shop by those who are not qualified to make pronouncements about medical conditions.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

It looks very desolate at school today. About 400 people at my school were absent yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

1,890 new cases of coronavirus and 25 new deaths according to BNO. Deaths wise it's a significant drop compared with yesterday morning when they announced 149.

10 days ago they had 674 cases, so over 20x increase in 10 days! Quite the rate of increase.

Posted

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.

If there are concerns about you or loved ones dial 111, look at NHS websites and seek professional advice.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Good point. I was only answering questions I was being asked, I am not so rude as to ignore them. 

I do appreciate this is about Covid however, so I agree, we should stay on topic.

Yes you seem very keen to help, which all appreciate.

On topic, as far as possible, would be good.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snipper said:

It is very good that you are giving your time and advice from the apparent experience you have. But would it not be better to start a new thread “Ailments I know and love”?  There seems to be too many on here caught up with their own preexisting ailments.  

We all have medical conditions but not all us go round and round in circles trying to discuss them with a crowd of strangers.

I would much prefer this thread to be good information about the spread of this virus and not a huge speculation drama  shop by those who are not qualified to make pronouncements about medical conditions.

Always the BBC website for that mate.

I personally like the fact this thread basically encompasses all facets of the pandemic. I'm learning things all the time about the economy and biology and all-sorts while at the same time receiving positive encouragement from people regarding my anxiety. It's great! If we were unable to speculate, the thread would be largely empty and pointless. 

I do agree some posters, myself included, make the odd hyperbole/dramatic post, but i'm trying to keep that to a minimum.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Always the BBC website for that mate.

I personally like the fact this thread basically encompasses all facets of the pandemic. I'm learning things all the time about the economy and biology and all-sorts while at the same time receiving positive encouragement from people regarding my anxiety. It's great! If we were unable to speculate, the thread would be largely empty and pointless. 

I do agree some posters, myself included, make the odd hyperbole/dramatic post, but i'm trying to keep that to a minimum.

Dramatic and extremely regular  posts day in and day out.  I am getting fed up with wading through page after page of posts that have little to do with coronavirus.  Speculation is good but it shouldn’t be to the detriment of the rest of the thread. If you can’t see that I am sorry.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, matty007 said:

35 is very young, honestly. You are well within the 0.1-0.2% CFR range. This virus prays on the over 60's, mostly.
Even as a smoker (tut tut, try vaping) you will be absoutely fine I am sure. Just practice good hygiene. If you get it, then so be it. Most of us will.

Try not to be anxious over things you largely have no control over.

Wouldn't Vaping be just as bad where this virus is concerned, after all, you are physically breathing high levels of moisture into your lungs, which would already be having difficulty with fluid retention due to the infection?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Only 15 MPs the PM and Jeremy Corbyn will be in the commons today for PMQs in order to adhere to the new social distancing guidelines.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
12 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Quite agree. Tip of the iceberg.

I know I keep emphasizing this point, but the government MUST ensure everyone is protected financially through this suffering. The last thing we want as a result of this is a repeat of the 2008 recession. It is the self-employed that I worry about most. We keep hearing of employees being protected, but never anything about the self-employed. The self-employed make up a large sector of our country and are vital to economic growth/stability. And while I have heard murmurings of rents being covered, does this only apply to council rent? Because we absolutely must consider those that rent privately too. I am sure landlords will not tolerate being not paid rent for weeks/months. How will these be subsidized?

So many things of concern.

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

It's remarkable that Germany has so few apparent deaths in relation to the number of cases (Q: Are the case #s really accurate then?). It really sticks out among Spain, France & the USA.

They have the best equipped health system in Europe; 25000-28000 respiratory machines in their health service. Major world manufacturer of them is German; German govt have ordered another 10,000. I posted some details on here the other day.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Only 15 MPs the PM and Jeremy Corbyn will be in the commons today for PMQs in order to adhere to the new social distancing guidelines.

I thought social distancing also included over 70s ?

• Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, kold weather said:

My word, just seen Spain's new cases overnight and this morning:

Up 1890!

That would probably put it around Italy's level if we extrapolate that for the rest of the day (as Spain updates throughout the day) probably going to be a 3,000 plus day there. Hopefully Italy finally sees a fall today rather than another day of 3000+. Because we need some good news from somewhere!

It's going to get a lot worse before it starts getting better. We build up some herd immunity or develop some sort of therapy

Edited by ArHu3
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 hour ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

this is good and clear. If you have ongoing personal concerns. Also there is the messages facility. 

Edited by Jo Farrow
removal of Trump comment - political - unhelpful
  • Like 8