Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
10 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Some up-to-date real information regarding Ibuprofengate:

_111330863_gettyimages-891341512.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

We fact-check claims about ibuprofen that have circulated across social media.

PS: Ibuprofen is just about the only over-the-counter NSAID still in stock!

There's some confusion, with NHS Wales advising against.... Still current advice (a friend is in the public relations team) .....yet some back tracking from other agencies..... 

spacer.png
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Health officials have changed their guidance on the popular anti-inflammatory tablets in the wake of the Covid-19 outbreak

Edited by beatpete
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

An infectious disease expert who has been advising Boris Johnson and the government is now self isolating after developing symptoms of coronavirus.

Confirming the news on Twitter, Professor Neil Ferguson said that coronavirus is rife in Westminster.

Ferguson, the director of J-IDEA and the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, posted on Wednesday: “Developed a slight dry but persistent cough yesterday and self isolated even though I felt fine. Then developed high fever at 4am today.”

“There is a lot of Covid-19 in Westminster,” he added.

WWW.HUFFINGTONPOST.CO.UK

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I am surprised it is being scrutinized and doubted so much. It is obvious that NSAID's such as Ibuprofen should not be prescribed in the presentation of fever.

In viruses such as these, fever is beneficial and allows the immune system to work more effectively.

But don't both aspirin and paracetamol also suppress fevers?

• Like 3

Posted

Sounds like London is becoming something of a hot spot at the moment, hardly surprising given that will be having the highest influence of incoming travelers from Europe over the past few weeks and is more generally quite densely populated.

• Like 1

Posted

A lot of Parisiens apparently have escaped to their second homes in the sw of France leading to public anger and placards going up telling them to go home as they’ve come from a virus hotspot .

At the best of times this anti Paris sentiment is there because a lot do have second homes which they normally use at holidays .

Posted
7 minutes ago, matty007 said:

If you have a high fever, it is the hypothalamus portion of your brain intentionally making you feel cold, so you apply more layers/wriggle to make yourself warmer. This raises body temperature, and thus, makes the body a more uncomfortable environment for the virus to exist in. It also allows more white blood cells to be dispersed to fight infection.

Really interesting, starting to feel a little like that but not too bad as of yet.

A rapid test would be such a game changer for everyone and would cut down a huge amount of false alarms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
47 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I really shouldn't try and diagnose on the net, but I care about people and can't help it sometimes.

I will just ask one question, do you happen to know what her tempreture was?

Then maybe stop doing it 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Here are my musings for the morning.....

I watched in amazement this morning as a Welsh couple, recently having returned home from a quarantined cruise ship, related their story.   They were not displaying symptoms when they returned home so they were initially allowed to go out.  Then they were tested for the virus and found to be positively infected.  They were told to self-isolate.  

However, at no time before or since have they felt in any way ill or displayed any of the commonly reported symptoms of the virus.  They both feel well and are going about their lives as normal albeit not going out yet.

Now this isn't the first case of people being tested positive without showing symptoms - Idris Elba being probably the highest profile person with the same experience.  So this begs a very big question - are there in fact many tens of thousands of people around who have contracted the virus and yet displayed no symptoms and felt no ill effects?  

Only those with serious illness requiring hospitalisation are being tested and all those who are self-isolating at home are missing the net so the number of known cases is already highly inaccurate.  But what if the majority of people can catch this virus and not even know it?  No country has been randomly testing the whole population so we don't know if if there are others out there unknowingly carrying the virus.  This would render the current thinking about % mortality rates completely over estimated.  What's more, if it's true, the policy of locking down a country and creating an economic disaster lasting several years will come to be seen as complete folly.

It just goes to prove that we know so little about this virus it is pointless to criticise any specific policy to combat it - yet.  Until all the facts become clear all of the strategies adopted could be right, or they could all be wrong.  It's too soon to know.

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Ant And Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is going ahead this weekend without a live studio audience.

lucky escape for the audience

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Ant And Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is going ahead this weekend without a live studio audience.

That is going to be an odd show, especially since alot of it feeds of having a live audience. Still makes sense.

Also safe to say the Florida trip isn't likely to go ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
3 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

So this begs a very big question - are there in fact many tens of thousands of people around who have contracted the virus and yet displayed no symptoms and felt no ill effects?  

Of course.

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Don't be too hard on them.  Where are you going to get 50,000,000 face masks made in 6 weeks?  I suppose if a meteor destroyed Prague or Paris some people would still be saying "Our government should have been prepared for this.....".   I imagine everyone is dong their best to catch up but you can't plan for every catastrophe.

No, I will be hard on them. When the question was raised in January if we are ready and well stocked they said yes and not to bother them. They outright lied they have a million of face masks and that more are on the way. Two months later and we have nothing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Not sure about tens of thousands, but certainly a fair amount. And there will be a very large percentage of people that have the virus, and are yet to show symptoms, but will soon.

Remember, the figures we have now, are from a week or more ago. Given the incubation of this virus is anywhere up to two weeks.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
12 hours ago, Azazel said:

So sorry to hear about your circumstances. I know how that feels, my dad is in the twilight of his life with multiple myeloma.

Some of us can’t help being anxious. Believe me, we are trying! I wish I could just turn it off but obviously that’s simply not possible.

The last few days have been the most constantly stressed/anxious/scared I’ve probably been of anything and I know there is a long long road ahead of me. I also know I have to help myself by taking a step back from time to time and thinking positively. Even in the worst case scenario, I don’t want to go out with a whimper, I want to go down swinging so I need to look after myself to give myself the best possible chance.

Can I too echo, how extremely sorry I am to hear about some of your circumstances on here.

In my case, anxiety is very, very selfish. I mainly get it with a pre-existing condition which makes any travel difficult, and sometimes i have to cancel plans. This in turn help- at least- with these anxiety feelings and it goes away. You have relief. 

Now there is no relief, no where to go and nothing to make the feeling go away.  Telling people not to look at the news as much, for example, only numbs it a little, with my anxiety you constantly need to know whats going on, my point is just knowing about it is enough. 

You also get other feelings, i'm reaching out to friends and family and it's helping, along with some internet friends and it does help, but you also feel as if you need to do something, something to help- constantly. I am even feeling comfort in just seeing people around. That although I'm blessed with a husband who has been an absolute rock and my daughter who brings me no end of joy, you also can feel very lonely.  It's not something that you can just switch off, believe me I wish I could. It is always there. 

Yet me again extend my sincere apologises - I hope everyone is safe and well.  

Edited by Dami
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

16 areas in England remain with just 1 confirmed case

1. Redcar and Cleveland 
  2. Darlington
  3. Blackburn with Darwen
  4. Kingston upon Hull, City of
  5. North Lincolnshire
  6. Herefordshire, County of
  7. Thurrock
  8. County Durham
  9. Bedford
  10. Knowsley
  11. Rotherham
  12. Sheffield
  13. Sunderland
  14. Solihull
  15. Kingston upon Thames
  16. Worcestershire

Hampshire remains the current hotspot with 69 confirmed cases

1. Hampshire: 69
  2. Southwark: 58
  3. Westminster: 58
  4. Kensington and Chelsea: 49
  5. Lambeth: 43
  6. Hertfordshire: 36
  7. Surrey: 30
  8. Oxfordshire: 25
  9. Barnet: 24
  10. Brent: 24
Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
28 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I am surprised it is being scrutinized and doubted so much. It is obvious that NSAID's such as Ibuprofen should not be prescribed in the presentation of fever.

In viruses such as these, fever is beneficial and allows the immune system to work more effectively.

Does that mean when i have had bad colds or flu in the past when i have overdosed to kill the pains in my body, that i have been prolonging the illness or actually risking worse damage or is this illness totally different?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
9 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Hehe. Good point. I was only asking for her tempreture, as Covid typically presents with a higher tempreture than Influenza.

I just like helping people but yes, we do have to understand that we shouldn't enquire too much when we don't know the patient.

Hi matty, am I correct In assuming antihistamines can suppress the immune system, only I had a friend last year who devoloped MRSA infection and was subscribed them by a nurse, when this infection got worse and ended up at the hospital, he was told he should never have been taking this medication, and it would have been making it worse. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Not sure about tens of thousands, but certainly a fair amount. And there will be a very large percentage of people that have the virus, and are yet to show symptoms, but will soon.

Remember, the figures we have now, are from a week or more ago. Given the incubation of this virus is anywhere up to two weeks.

Yes, if I do have it for example I will have likely been carrying it for 5 days (since that was when I would have been exposed) and probably infected more people as well in that time. 

I think in London its probably very widespread and I think the next week will see a large uptick of hospitalised cases.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Hampshire being on top of that list doesn't surprise me, quite a few teachers I know have had to go into self isolation over here in the last 2 days (including me now!) not sure how much more they can collapse the classes down, must be getting close to closing the doors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

16 areas in England remain with just 1 confirmed case

1. Redcar and Cleveland 
  2. Darlington
  3. Blackburn with Darwen
  4. Kingston upon Hull, City of
  5. North Lincolnshire
  6. Herefordshire, County of
  7. Thurrock
  8. County Durham
  9. Bedford
  10. Knowsley
  11. Rotherham
  12. Sheffield
  13. Sunderland
  14. Solihull
  15. Kingston upon Thames
  16. Worcestershire

Let's hope it stays that way in Darlington 

Edited by Boro Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Londoners don't seem to have got the 'social distancing' message

ETYHgiFXsAA6Nye.thumb.jpg.dda418a72591bb4cedf7e940c7104459.jpg

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Four players from the Brooklyn Nets have tested positive for COVID-19:

_111334991_kevindurant.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Four Brooklyn Nets players, including 2014 NBA Most Valuable Player Kevin Durant, test positive for coronavirus.

The virus must be way more widespread than thought. As mentioned by others above, it renders the recorded cases figures almost meaningless until random testing in the general population is performed. You wouldn't even need to do that many to get a better idea. How can you plan for anything if you don't know what the real situation is? 

• Like 3