Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
27 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Unfortunately my cough is still here. It's not the worst in the world but I'm not going to chance it given I was with someone who had symptoms in Friday and the incubation timing fits far too neatly.

Splendid isolation...joy...

Sorry to hear about it.

Unfortunately, a fate likely coming my way too very soon. I am amazed every day that I escape this.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Sorry to hear about it.

Unfortunately, a fate likely coming my way too very soon. I am amazed every day that I escape this.

Could it be that you are one of the lucky ones who doesn’t show any symptoms? 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Sorry to hear about it.

Luckily so far whatever it is is quite mild, though I'm sure the coughing will get annoying.

By the time I'm over my 7 days schools are likely to have closed.

• Like 2

Posted

Last night was a rough one. Started feeling short of breath (likely anxiety + a bit of indigestion) - I could feel myself getting worked up. Every time I dozed off I would wake up with a jolt. Horrible.

Posted
4 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Quite possibly. I am fairly young and have always had a rather resilient immune system, so yes, possible. However, I have been using masks always and use stringent hygiene, so equally as likely I have kept it away.

I had a headache and itchy nose for 1 day on Monday but unlikely to be related, most likely fatigue.

Well good luck to you! 

I read an article yesterday that said 3000 people were tested in a town in Italy and 50-75% tested positive but had no symptoms.

This matches the data that’s come from the diamond cruise ship where a large proportion (can’t remember figures) also had no symptoms.

While this is good news when considering the death rate, it could be the reason why this virus has spread as rapidly as it has. If 50% of people don’t have symptoms then they will still Be going out spreading it unknowingly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just had a wee look at my local Lidl (I can see it from my kitchen window) and, guess what: the idiots are already carting off trolley-loads of bog rolls!

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Relax my friend, deep breaths. You're a young healthy lad, you will be fine.

I'm not that young nor healthy:( No underlying health conditions that I know of, but I have been a moderate smoker for a long time. Struggling to pack it in, though I have now stopped at work.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Just had a wee look at my local Lidl (I can see it from my kitchen window) and, guess what: the idiots are already carting off trolley-loads of bog rolls!

That's crazy. Unfortunately I feel some are now doing it out of anxiety, they cannot control what's happening with the virus but buying things even when they don't really need becomes a coping mechanism. 

Retail therapy gone wrong. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Last night was a rough one. Started feeling short of breath (likely anxiety + a bit of indigestion) - I could feel myself getting worked up. Every time I dozed off I would wake up with a jolt. Horrible.

That is Anxiety I get the same, the mind can play tricks thinking you have symptoms but you dont, and ya mind always thinks the worst case scenario 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

That's crazy. Unfortunately I feel some are now doing it out of anxiety, they cannot control what's happening with the virus but buying things even when they don't really need becomes a coping mechanism. 

Retail therapy gone wrong. 

Quite true. But, it needs to stop.

All they're doing is causing shortages so the people who really do need these items, can't get them. What about the elderly? Are they not entitled to loo rolls? And given that the elderly are most at risk, I find it so selfish that people are stockpiling hand gel, thus meaning that the elderly go without. Very selfish and narrowminded.

We also have to consider that prices will rise, which places those that are less wealthy, in more hardship.

Do these people really believe that all supermarkets will close down? it will never happen.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Quite possibly a cold, but you are doing the right thing.

I don't want to sound rude, but my neighbors have children and they are very noisy indeed. I can't say I'm relishing the prospect of weeks and weeks of that

I personally suspect so as well and it really is quite mild, had it been a normal day I would have gone into work. As I said my only pause for thought is someone I was with on Friday developed classic coronavirus symptoms over the weekend (cough, fever, short of breath), and so that would be classic 5 day incubation time period. However whatever happens, happens. I will isolate anyway and not take the chance on it for the reason above.

First death in Moldova, and 3 more in South Korea. USA up 7 deaths to 116.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

I'd like to thank Matty, for his detailed response to my Post about my Wife's Face Mask "saga".

Words like inept and shambolic come to mind, about the response my Wife received. 

Colette has woken up this Morning with a Temperature and a hacking cough, and complaining of a tight chest!! 

From what Colette tells me, a lot of the Staff were coughing and sneezing yesterday. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the Coronavirus isn't already present in the Care Home, as I stated Yesterday, two of the elderly Residents passed away with Pneumonia, last Week. 

But with the Management's Peter Pan attitude, they won't be affected because they're in a "bubble", there?? 

Although she isn't due to work until Tomorrow, she phoned the Residential Home's Sick Line to let them know that she will be "self isolating" for 2 Weeks .This will no doubt go down like a "hole in the head" but we really don't care.

Her two Sons, who also live with us, also had to Phone work and let them know, that they will be "self isolating", for 2 Weeks. This will have severe financial repercussions for us, I'm only in receipt of Disability Benefits myself but sobeit.  

Colette may have a similar Virus to what I had, which has now pretty much gone, after a course of Amoxicillin Antibiotics, and may not be the Coronavirus. But, conversely, could well be the Coronavirus, without a Test how can we be sure? :cc_confused:

And there lies the problem within for the Health Authorities, instances of Colds and Seasonal Flu are "masking" instances of the Coronavirus, and vice versa!! 

Stay safe and well.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Unfortunately my cough is still here. It's not the worst in the world but I'm not going to chance it given I was with someone who had symptoms in Friday and the incubation timing fits far too neatly.

Splendid isolation...joy...

Sorry to hear that mate. Take it easy. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Quite true. But, it needs to stop.

All they're doing is causing shortages so the people who really do need these items, can't get them. What about the elderly? Are they not entitled to loo rolls? And given that the elderly are most at risk, I find it so selfish that people are stockpiling hand gel, thus meaning that the elderly go without. Very selfish and narrowminded.

We also have to consider that prices will rise, which place those that are less wealthy, in more hardship.

Do these people really believe that all supermarkets will close down? it will never happen.

I think the 'Silver Hour' being introduced led by Iceland and now Sainsburys is an excellent idea and should in my view be made law in emergency legislation to include all essential shops whereby from say 7.30am to 9.00am all shops only serve those over 65. 

Eventually this could become a click and collect service as things get more strict and to limit contact within the shops themselves, the elderly can then either order online for delivery or collection and for those who cannot access online a list given to the shop one morning and collected/delivered the next. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

Shops here even worse than ever today. Tesco has no bread or milk even. Went in 15 mins after opening. There was toilet roll in people's trolley but none left. Not sure about elderly getting first hour. Wont help if there is nothing there. Also families will be sending elderly out to clear shelves if they have been stocked over night. For me supermarkets are now one of the biggest transfer risks and more time is being spent there, in crowds, to find goods.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 minute ago, SnowBear said:

I think the 'Silver Hour' being introduced led by Iceland and now Sainsburys is an excellent idea and should in my view be made law in emergency legislation to include all essential shops whereby from say 7.30am to 9.00am all shops only serve those over 65. 

Eventually this could become a click and collect service as things get more strict and to limit contact within the shops themselves, the elderly can then either order online for delivery or collection and for those who cannot access online a list given to the shop one morning and collected/delivered the next. 

1 minute ago, SnowBear said:

Yes, see my post. If they can deal with the internet click and collect should be used only for elderly and thus keep them out of shops.

• Like 2

Posted
francisco-garcia.png
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

A 21-year-old Spanish football coach has died from coronavirus, having been suffering from a form of leukaemia.

Did not know he had leukaemia until after corona diagnosis...

Posted
1 minute ago, beatpete said:
francisco-garcia.png
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

A 21-year-old Spanish football coach has died from coronavirus, having been suffering from a form of leukaemia.

At first I was shocked when I saw his age, but with Leukaemia, it isn't at all surprising.

Very sad indeed.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, beatpete said:
francisco-garcia.png
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Because of the power of the internet to make even just one story go viral, this perception of the young being safe from COVID-19 is not going to age well. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
1 hour ago, daz_4 said:

Our government failed spectacularly. They did absolutely nothing in January. Now, in the middle of the pandemic, they realized they have no face masks, desinfection and only 10 000 respirators in state reserves. We can't go out without a face mask but you can't even buy them anywhere so we have to make them ourselves.

Don't be too hard on them.  Where are you going to get 50,000,000 face masks made in 6 weeks?  I suppose if a meteor destroyed Prague or Paris some people would still be saying "Our government should have been prepared for this.....".   I imagine everyone is dong their best to catch up but you can't plan for every catastrophe.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some up-to-date real information regarding Ibuprofengate:

_111330863_gettyimages-891341512.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

We fact-check claims about ibuprofen that have circulated across social media.

PS: Ibuprofen is just about the only over-the-counter NSAID still in stock!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Because of the power of the internet to make even just one story go viral, this perception of the young being safe from COVID-19 is not going to age well. 

Will the cause of death be recorded as C-19 or leukaemia?  What I mean by this is, would he have lived if he hadn't been suffering from leukaemia?  I wonder how many deaths will be attributed to C-19 which were perhaps at least 50% due to other previously existing or underlying conditions.   

Posted
Just now, Sky Full said:

Will the cause of death be recorded as C-19 or leukaemia?  What I mean by this is, would he have lived if he hadn't been suffering from leukaemia?  I wonder how many deaths will be attributed to C-19 which were perhaps at least 50% due to other previously existing or underlying conditions.   

I believe Germany for example has quite a strict measure with regards to whether its counted as Covid 19 death or not, I think thats a large part as to why Germany's death-case ratio is so low. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

T

The only other thing I will say is, sneezing, is NOT a presentation of Covid. So while I am not saying that Covid is not present in this care home, sneezing is not an indication. If someone presents with sneezing, it will almost certainly be a cold

Thing is though, when you first get flu, there is no sneezing, but because i know its likely to be a flu or cold type illness, i then buy  lockets, which in turn makes me sneeze, this virus starts with a sore throat so first instinct is lockets, some people may take lempsip when they get fever, this the loosens chest.