Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
Just now, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

The silver hour is an excellent idea and so is the priority access for delivery slots. Really pleased to see this .

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The silver hour is an excellent idea and so is the priority access for delivery slots. Really pleased to see this .

Good question for you nick, you planning on coming back to you uk r stick it out in france? What health care system do you trust most? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yeah, good to see that supermarkets are fighting back against the panic buying and striving to protect the most vulnerable.  Hopefully with time they will be able to evolve a good balance with their levels of rationing that will calm things down so that we can go back to shopping much as before, though of course with some changes in emphasis due to more people spending more time at home and in some cases self-isolating.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

To lighten the mood I soon will be needing a kaftan . My healthier eating plan has derailed and I’ve decided to eat my way to happiness !

I just can’t be doing with worrying about my weight at this point in time !

Should you change your name to Demis Roussos?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Went to Tesco today & tried to buy some packets of noodles to put on top of my stir fried veg & meat but they had none. Went to the ethnic aisle with Chinese food to buy a couple of packets of theirs but none there either. There was a notice no delivery until the 21st. Ended up in Morrisons which had a few packets of noodles left thankfully. Cashier said they've never seen anything like it been worse than Christmas. People barging in, arguing with each other & abusive to staff.

This has really brought out the worse in a lot of people. And for what? Most people will survive this thing even if they catch it as the vast majority do not die from it. We've hardly had any stories from people who've got over it...only a trickle. Yet there's thousands out there. We're only fed bad news. Eventually this virus will die down & normality will resume thankfully.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Went to Tesco today & tried to buy some packets of noodles to put on top of my stir fried veg & meat but they had none. Went to the ethnic aisle with Chinese food to buy a couple of packets of theirs but none there either. There was a notice no delivery until the 21st. Ended up in Morrisons which had a few packets of noodles left thankfully. Cashier said they've never seen anything like it been worse than Christmas. People barging in, arguing with each other & abusive to staff.

This has really brought out the worse in a lot of people. And for what? Most people will survive this thing even if they catch it as the vast majority do not die from it. We've hardly had any stories from people who've got over it...only a trickle. Yet there's thousands out there. We're only fed bad news. Eventually this virus will die down & normality will resume thankfully.

Don't know if you've got any stores like B&M's near where you live, but went into the main one in Hanley and shelves were fully stocked with all foods, they also have a small Heron Foods Freezer section and that was full too, this was at 3pm.  Most of these people only seem to think about the main 'big' supermarkets whilst all the smaller type stores are being completely ignored.  The Local newsagent's near me (that are like a mini mart) are all fine too.

Also not looking forward to tomorrow (even though technically it's today now, so to speak). Mothers insisting I go with her to do her monthly shop, I've been trying to warn her since last week she needed to do it a bit early, but no, "everything's fine it's just a lot of foreign panic over a bad flu" so now I'm being dragged out into the heaving masses that she doesn't believes exists.... and to top it off I'm now coming down with the cold that's making the rounds... urgh....

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Good question for you nick, you planning on coming back to you uk r stick it out in france? What health care system do you trust most? 

I’m staying here . As for health systems France was originally seen as one of the best in Europe but it has the same issues with an aging population as the NHS. It has struggled a bit more in recent years with funding become more of an issue .

To be honest this virus would test any health system no matter how well funded. 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
7 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Just wanted to give you the latest update on Face MaskGate.

As I've stated in some previous Posts, my Wife works in a Residential Care Home.

When she arrived at the Home for her early Morning shift, she announced to all and sundry that she's ordered some Face Masks, and will be wearing one at the end of the Week, once they arrive.

The Lady that organises the Work Roster and doubles up as the Receptionist, retorted,"That won't be necessary Colette, the one Resident that was tested, has come back with a negative result.

We're in a bubble here and won't get affected".

Completely missing the point, of course!! 

The Deputy Manager and Senior Carer that was in charge this Morning, didn't seem to have any firm guidance to give my Wife and told her, "It's your personal choice, Colette".

I decided to phone BUPA's Care Home Division Head Office, and the told the respondent that my Wife worked in one of their Care Homes and what was their policy on their Staff wearing Face Masks, as she had been told previously not to wear one, as it would frighten the Residents.

The Receptionist asked me which Care Home my Wife worked in. I didn't want to give that information and wanted to protect my Wife's, anonymity. I asked the Receptionist what guidance have they given their Staff, re, wearing Face Masks. After a bit of umming and ahing, she tried to put me through to another Department but all I got was some random Menu.

Colette decided to text her Manageress, telling her that she'd ordered some Face Masks herself, and would be wearing one, once they arrived. The Manageress responded, "That's nice of you Colette but we have a couple in the Home". I hope the Manageress doesn't think my Wife has bought them for all the Staff, they are for herself!!

Colette responded with, "I will be wearing one on my next shift, not only to protect myself but also to protect the Residents, in case I bring the Coronavirus in with me and give it to the Residents, a lot of whom have underlying health issues".

Which is exactly the point. Obviously, all the Staff have Families and a lot of them travel on Public Transport, and could inadvertently bring the Coronavirus, into the Home.

My Wife wants to wear a Face Mask not only to protect herself but also the Residents, of the Care Home.

I'm staggered that one of the largest Care Service providers in the Country, have no firm Policy in the current situation and at best, a "wishy-washy" attitude, towards their Staff.

My Wife has saved the Text from her Manageress, in case there is any "comeback", once she wears her Face Mask.

I'm also amazed that my own Father managed to live for 13 Years (to the age 95), in this very Care Home.

Colette tells me there is still no sanitising hand wash in the Home, and that has been the case for a few Days now!!

One good piece of News, when my Wife went shopping in Sainsburys in Bromley, the Cashier saw Colette's Uniform and asked if she'd like a pack of Toilet Rolls. Colette gratefully accepted and the Cashier produced the pack, from under her seat.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

This is woefully incompetent.

People must understand that if they work within a care home, which houses many elderly people, and the very people who are most at risk, they MUST take every precaution to not infect those elderly people. In the case of this virus, it is not imperative you wear masks for your OWN protection, but to protect the elderly.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, emax said:

So in theory controlled diabetes, where the blood sugar is kept at normal levels with medication, "shouldn't" be a risk factor...... In theory at least? 

The more interesting one is certain types of blood pressure meds to me. As I'm sure you're aware, there's still no concrete proof that arb's and ace inhibitors make you more susceptible. I believe it's really just theories at the moment regarding any bad effects with ace 2, whereas actual animal tests suggest BP meds shouldn't make any difference. Although there's lots of data on ace 2, there doesn't seem to be any outright concensus on what increases it etc. 

This is just me being interested in a hypothetical situation by the way, so please no one start thinking of not taking medication, or anything stupid like that. 

Many people have had great success reversing their type 2 diabetes (and even type 1 but that takes careful monitoring and guidance with a physician) and hypertension their with the ketogenic diet and even more so with the carnivore diet.  

Personally I'm a big fan of the carnivore diet, it's just an easy form of the ketogenic diet and it eliminates all the constipation, bloating and IBS causing fiber too

Edited by ArHu3

Posted

Our government failed spectacularly. They did absolutely nothing in January. Now, in the middle of the pandemic, they realized they have no face masks, desinfection and only 10 000 respirators in state reserves. We can't go out without a face mask but you can't even buy them anywhere so we have to make them ourselves.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Be very very careful about how you word such things. Type 1 cannot be reversed with a ketogenic diet, or indeed, any diet. Yes, you can reduce triglyceride and HDL levels with said diets, but you can never 'cure' or 'reverse' type 1 diabetes. All patients will require some amount of insulin.

Type 2 Diabetes? Yes, it's possible.

Yes, while i don't know that much about diabetes, i know about alcohol misuse and damage to the pancreas, if you go into any hepatology unit where people have severe liver damage, you will also find a percentage that have effectively drunk themselves into type 1 diabetics by damaging their pancreas to the point where their islets of langahans have no beta cells or they are not functional, beta cells produce insulin so insulin production is impossible.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Be very very careful about how you word such things. Type 1 cannot be reversed with a ketogenic diet, or indeed, any diet. Yes, you can reduce triglyceride and HDL levels with said diets, but you can never 'cure' or 'reverse' type 1 diabetes. All patients will require some amount of insulin.

Type 2 Diabetes? Yes, it's possible.

There have been a few cases of even type 1 completely reversing their insulin dependence 

WWW.IJCASEREPORTSANDIMAGES.COM

Introduction: Currently type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) is treated with insulin and a high carbohydrate diet. In the literature, however, there...

Posted
2 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Our government failed spectacularly. They did absolutely nothing in January. Now, in the middle of the pandemic, they realized they have no face masks, desinfection and only 10 000 respirators in state reserves. We can't go out without a face mask but you can't even buy them anywhere so we have to make them ourselves.

If it's any relief, it was not just your government but really all of them 

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Quite.

Making your own face mask is a futile exercise. You will never achieve the protection of an N95 or FFP3 mask. 10,000 respirators is a decent number in a country of this population but does not allow for any outbreaks such as these. The fact we are not stockpiling such things in 2020 is damming.

I would also argue that we have fewer doctors than we should have in an advanced country at 2.2 per 1,000. We are behind Poland, Holland and even Ireland. 

Yes, the most ridiculous nonsensical thing i have ever heard.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Absolutely.

I have always supported that Type 2 in most cases is absolutely reversible. Most patients following a strict diet and exercise regime can control it to such an extent that no real medication is needed. Type 1, however, is a different proposition and is in no way reversible.

Although i think a study came out not so long ago that the beta cells were not actually completely dead but incapable of producing any insulin at all, so not sure in the future with scientific advances whether it might be possible but definitely isn't at the moment.

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, the most ridiculous nonsensical thing i have ever heard.

It's a last resort for sure but better than nothing.

largepreview.png
WWW.RESEARCHGATE.NET

PDF | This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks. Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to... | Find, read and cite all the research you need...

Posted

Unfortunately my cough is still here. It's not the worst in the world but I'm not going to chance it given I was with someone who had symptoms in Friday and the incubation timing fits far too neatly.

Splendid isolation...joy...

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

It's a last resort for sure but better than nothing.

largepreview.png
WWW.RESEARCHGATE.NET

PDF | This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks. Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to... | Find, read and cite all the research you need...

I still think though that encouraging the general public is dangerous and lul into a false sense of security, you still have to breathin and out and your breath has to go somewhere, IMO the only 100% thing to use is the gas masks issued to the army made for dealing with chemical and biological warfare like anthrax and nerve gas attacks.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

They can, however, be effective somewhat at preventing the wearer from transmitting to someone else. A surgical mask won't do anything at stopping viral particles from entering, but it may prevent them from exiting.

That's why we are doing it. We know it doesn't protect us but it can protect others if we are sick and do not know about it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

This will make you laugh , a gentleman today tried to purchase 102 beef and tomato pot noodles , I said he could have 2 , he didn’t buy any

Good morning, Mark...And well-done you!:oldgood:

I've heard of the Gentleman Farmer class...But the Gentleman Pillock is a new one!:crazy:

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Good morning, Mark...And well-done you!:oldgood:

I've heard of the Gentleman Farmer class...But the Gentleman Pillock is a new one!:crazy:

Yes, you would think if someone was gonna fill their boots, at least have a bit of variety!!

• Like 1

Posted

Just been reading the Guardian blog on the virus .

Quite a lot there about several different drugs that have helped to varying degrees most notably Avigan.

But it seems that getting to the virus early might be key.

So really before symptoms have worsened , and of course before the virus has multiplied .

Logistically trying to manufacture a lot more of a drug can be difficult and getting it to the right people .

• Like 1