Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

Most orders are made automatically at places like Tesco, I’m not sure why your blaming the store managers for customers behaving like they are retarded.

My local store is a co.op  and it's one pack per trolly, ..

• Like 1

Posted

To lighten the mood I soon will be needing a kaftan . My healthier eating plan has derailed and I’ve decided to eat my way to happiness !

I just can’t be doing with worrying about my weight at this point in time !

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

Posted
5 minutes ago, clactongaz said:

This will make you laugh , a gentleman today tried to purchase 102 beef and tomato pot noodles , I said he could have 2 , he didn’t buy any

• Like 7

Posted

Wonderful offer of support from postal workers who have voted to become an extra emergency service . 

Helping with prescriptions , and keeping an eye on people who are vulnerable and who  might become isolated .

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Quite possibly, if its still here tomorrow morning then it will be something else other than that asthma cough. For now that seems the most likely culprit though rather than coronavirus, the only thing giving me pause is I have had some contact with someone who has since displayed classic symptoms. 

Stay at home safest place and don`t watch the news every day.

This reminds me of foot and mouth disease in sheep back in 2001 we`ve got sheep starting lambing soon.

Neighbours animals were slaughtered in mid april 2001.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

To lighten the mood I soon will be needing a kaftan . My healthier eating plan has derailed and I’ve decided to eat my way to happiness !

I just can’t be doing with worrying about my weight at this point in time !

Since the New Year i've stopped drinking anything alcoholic Monday to Wednesday inclusive. My wife and I were on a semi-health kick ahead of our planned 8 weeks in Fuerteventura. Now that's been canned, and after last night's bombshell Imperial College report, i was severely tempted this evening to ditch the early part of week abstention. However, i resisted. 

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
45 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother opening because I have no Loo roll or tins of beans etc has made my blood boil today , People asking for more checkouts to be opened these people should be grateful we are opening at all , we are near our limits and doing our best , at the same time we have home shopping to deal with , with companies like Deliveroo, I helped I man who was self isolating today and he was in tears when I helped him , whilst I put his shopping through 2 customers accused me of putting bread aside for myself , I was doing this for the self isolating and told them basically to Fu ck Off . Another fun day tomorrow.

Same in my place mate. Running ourselves into the ground for people who have zero respect or empathy for us. Sad thing is we'll get no recognition for it when all said and done, financial or otherwise.

All whilst those cushy office types sit on their arses at home on full pay, self isolating.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 7

Guest Delete Me

Much respect for retail workers during this difficult period, don't get the recognition you guys deserve and you are literally working yourselves into the ground and being shouted at by rude customers.

Couple of Asda employee's were over the moon at 7.30am this morning as they were closing early to re-stock.

Considering the mammoth profits the supermarkets are going to make, i hope they value their staff

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Same in my place mate. Running ourselves into the ground for people who have zero respect or empathy for us. Sad thing is we'll get no recognition for it when all said and done, financial or otherwise.

It’s awful.... we both champion all our local shops and staff.... they’re all hard workers and very customer supportive ie vulnerable and on need... especially atm 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

Much respect for retail workers during this difficult period, don't get the recognition you guys deserve and you are literally working yourselves into the ground and being shouted at by rude customers.

Couple of Asda employee's were over the moon at 7.30am this morning as they were closing early to re-stock.

Considering the mammoth profits the supermarkets are going to make, i hope they value their staff

Funny world , A few retailers have some grovelling to do to their staff , They were supposed to cut management jobs and steam line due to a changing world , But eh now they really need them !!! . Not that it will matter but a few might use this time wisely to switch a go to a more responsible retailer should the prospect present itself . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The RHS have cancelled all shows up to and including June 30th

The following shows as a result are off

RHS London Spring Launch & Orchid Show, 7th-8th April 
RHS London Botanical Art and Photography Show, 17th-18th April 
RHS Cardiff, 17th-19th April
RHS Malvern, 7th–10th May 
RHS Chelsea, 19th–23rd May
RHS Chatsworth, 11th–14th June

• Like 1

Guest Delete Me

The government don't know and ICL can model data all night long but they won't accurately know either.

Let's implement the next phase of lockdown and make people realise how serious this is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
13 hours ago, shuggee said:

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum. 

If there are concerns about you or loved ones dial 111, look at NHS websites and seek professional advice.

Sound advice, and can't be overstated. I am happy to talk about all things virology on this forum. It is extremely interesting and beneficial. The more we can learn about this virus, and viruses in general, can only be helpful.

However, I would say to anyone that I cannot give personal medical advice, unless very very basic and vague. This would be unwise, and immoral. I do not have your medical history, your lifestyle details, your general health, and I am not in contact with you.

For anything about your own personal health, it is imperative you see your own GP. Indeed, the majority of those with this virus will present mildly and not need a GP, but if you do have more severe symptoms, or preexisting medical conditions that place you at higher risk, you MUST see your own GP and not look for advice on the net.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
_111334884_whatsubject.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Airports could be ordered to close and people detained on public health grounds under government plans.

The emergency legislation is expected to be passed Thursday and includes:

(It's worth noting that a lot of these measures will only be implemented in the worst case scenario!)

• Registration of recently retired staff and final year medical students
  • Providing legal protection for NHS staff in cases of covid-19-related clinical negligence
  • Reducing paperwork
  • Reducing regulation surrounding mental health services 
  • Delaying assessments of discharged patients
  • Removing vaccination restrictions in Scotland
  • Enabling local authorities to priorities social care services they offer to meet the most urgent needs
  •  
  • Requiring schools/childcare providers to stay open or to close
  • Temporarily closing ports/airports if staffing numbers drop
  • Restricting events & gatherings in any place or on any type of transport
  •  
  • Conducting court hearings by video/audio link
  • Allowing temporary judicial commissioners to be appointed
  • Enabling authorities to temporarily detain people suspected of being infected to enable proper assessment
  • Postponing elections
  • Providing statutory sick pay on day 1 of missed work
  • Reimbursing employers with <250 employees for statutory sick pay
  • Requiring food suppliers to share information

Full details here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-bill-what-it-will-do/what-the-coronavirus-bill-will-do

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 4

Posted

Was a very very busy day today. Only got back just now.

Will read everything from today and reply to anything of note.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted

There is somewhat of a reason for shortages is to do with a huge supply chain shift though, away from workplaces, hotels and restaurants.

Many people who may normally eat out for work and leisure, perhaps two or three main meals a week on take out or at say Hungry Horse, Toby's etc are now eating at home. The lunch time food got at the food outlets in town or London and other cities are now at home too with more being told to reduce travel or workplaces shutting down.

It's no one's fault in that regard, gradually the supply chain will adjust and stock begins to go more to retail supermarkets than commercial food outlets, restaurants and takeaways.

My local shop has now started selling large commercial toilet rolls from the wholesaler as they have loads which would normally have been sold to commercial properties but not currently buying as closing or little custom.

Perhaps shop managers could have been a little quicker in introducing limits at the beginning in light of other places in the world eg Australia,experiencing odd supermarket buying patterns, but I guess no one expected the idiots stockpiling 40+ packs of 12 roll toilet rolls and 150 tins of beans! It's selfish, greedy and inconsiderate.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Was a very very busy day today. Only got back just now.

Will read everything from today and reply to anything of note.

Busy because of the coronavirus? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Busy because of the coronavirus? 

Thankfully not. But I am afraid more people with quite mild symptoms are attending. While I understand people are concerned, this will only spread the virus further, and place more strain.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

As a number of you know from the now defunct uk politics thread, and by a number of posts by me in here last few weeks, i'm normally a bit of a cocky, sometimes arrogant chap, although privately amongst my friends and family i'm a little less like that.

Well, this blimin' virus tragedy unfolding has really knocked me. It has shook society to the bone, esp across mainland Europe;

here in the UK i think our worst (sorry to say this) is yet to come. The next few weeks especially will make people re-evaluate their lives, i believe. Suspect the next week, 10 days will give the UK a clear view to which direction we're heading in terms of serious cases and deaths. 

Stay safe and well.

Regarding all the anxiety out there. I totally understand everyone's worries, and this is clearly going to affect a lot of people, and could for a while yet. Certain aspects of life will change, some for a short term, and some for the long term, but everyone needs to do their best in their own personal circumstances, and over come it as best they can.

Just think of life during WW2. Not knowing if your house was going to be bombed, not knowing if your friends will have made it through the night and be at work the next day, not knowing if your work building will even be there the next day. Then there's the rationing, the families of the armed forces, not only worrying about being bombed themselves, but worrying if your husband/son/brother will make it through another day on the frontline. Then there's the worry of is it all worth it? Early years, and even to a point the later years of WW2, thinking, is all this stiff upper lip worth it, if jerry is just gonna come marching down the street and shoot us all (bare in mind, people had no way of knowing if they'd win or not, seeing as Britain was really all that was left standing). Plus the countless other worries to deal with. As a personal example, my gran was simply walking down the street with a friend, and they got strafed by a 109. They werent hit, but just imagine simply going out to the shops and not knowing if you will live or die.

Add on: Also not forgetting all the occupied countries as well. People being shot left right and centre, people scared of going out, everyone looking over their shoulder.....

I'm not saying this to belittle anyone worrying, far from it. I guess I'm trying to say that things could be much much worse, and despite all the shenanigans, we're at a better place in time than ever to deal with all this. 

Edited by emax
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The panic buying is starting to overtake the virus itself as my biggest concern.  I have been told to work from home for the foreseeable future and have therefore been buying more tinned foods of late, anticipating that I will be home cooking somewhat more often, instead of my usual habit of frequently eating out at the workplace canteen and to a lesser extent at pubs and restaurants.  Apart from that, though, my recent buying habits have not been drastically different to normal.  

My main concern is that the panic buying can quickly become self-reinforcing and make shopping into a "dog eat dog world" where "nice guys finish last".  The people who stockpile excessively end up with enough to last them for several months and so they profit, while those who buy responsibly, stockpiling say a few weeks' worth of supplies, are made to pay for it in a big way when these supplies start running out and it is an uphill struggle to get more because the panic buyers keep stripping the supermarkets and booking up all of the grocery delivery slots.  As someone who has refused to panic buy on moral grounds, I could well end up in that situation in about three weeks' time.

My other concern is about rationing - as things currently stand we do need some rationing, if nothing else to curb the excesses of panic buying, but not on anywhere near the scale that we had during World War II.  The amounts of panic buying that we're seeing now, though, could make a World War II level of rationing more likely, and in that case again the panic buyers will profit from their months' worth of supplies while those of us who buy responsibly will be left with the bare minimum that we had to make do with in World War II.

In view of these considerations I suggest that there may be a growing incidence of people panic buying so as to avoid being trampled on by other panic buyers, rather than directly due to the threat from Covid-19 and social distancing.  I am, however, hopeful that there may be a limit to how much some people are willing to panic buy, which might improve the situation within a couple of weeks or so.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I was thinking today about teratogenesis. Unfortunately, this is something that we did sometimes in SARS. Given that Covid is a direct descendant of SARS, it is certainly something we must do extensive research on. Especially given that we have seen a number of infants who have contracted Covid in the womb.

Let's hope we don't see too much of it Matt.

• Like 2

Posted

I expect things are going to become pretty bleak in the short term but we will get through this .

And I’m sure over this time we’re going to see some pretty depressing  scenes but at the same time we’re also going to see some wonderful acts of kindness from people.

And although we all have our own ideas as to what we think our respective governments should be doing I think we have to accept that they’re probably a little shell shocked by events just as we are .

There’s no perfect response to this virus and mistakes will be made and have been already .

They do need some help from their citizens and can’t magically wave away this virus.

So we all have a part to play in this. 

• Like 8