Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

In my day (mid-late 1970s) health anxiety wasn't caused by the Internet, but by reading Pear's Medical Encyclopaedia: you'd be surprised at just how many terminal illnesses are entirely asymptomatic...I was a nervous wreck!

Never read any medical book online or offline you end up ordering your coffin.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Yes but if you read it they're seem to be further ahead than anyone else, plus trump was in contact with them. 

So yes, hopefully the Germans save the day

Human trials wont start till June/July, so its not a given by any means. Still a tall order to have a usable vaccine ready for everyone by the Autumn. I'm not saying it isnt possible, but with several other vaccines being developed, and imminently going onto monkey/human trials (USA already started human trials), its a bit too early to be saying Germany will save the day lol.

10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Tesco are closing 24-hour stores between 10pm and 6am for staff to restock the shelves 

My local Tesco Extra has already started doing this, but dont know how widespread that is

Posted
9 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

6 am rush on toilet isles at tesco

This has been happening in most large stores early in morn. Popped into our Lidl today for a few things, about 10.30am and they still had loo roll; shelves stocked before opening. Surprised to still see it on shelves so 'late' in the day

• Like 1

Posted

Oh no I've developed a cough over the last couple of hours. I'm hoping its just an asthmatic cough that I do sometimes get when seasons are changing (I am somewhat prone in Spring in particular) however if it carries on much longer I may be into self isolation. We will see!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, emax said:

Human trials wont start till June/July, so its not a given by any means. Still a tall order to have a usable vaccine ready for everyone by the Autumn. I'm not saying it isnt possible, but with several other vaccines being developed, and imminently going onto monkey/human trials (USA already started human trials), its a bit too early to be saying Germany will save the day lol.

That's amazingly fast! Only a month ago, the USA was in a state of utter denial...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Onding said:

Yep, I've tried three times to attempt to 'time it right', including at 7am this morning, just to get a few essentials that I'll likely be running low on by week's end but nope, shelves are empty.

I suppose it'd be pointless going very late at night as they don't re-stock until pre-morning opening time. I'll swing by my local newsagent tomorrow.

Apparently had the old bill at our local big Tesco at the weekend, trying to keep the peace lol. I havent been shopping since this all blew up, and I'm happy to wait until all the dumb sheep have run out of space in their cupboards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

That's amazingly fast! Only a month ago, the USA was in a state of utter denial...

106445807-1584364345863gettyimages-12048
WWW.CNBC.COM

The trial is taking place at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, Washington, where cases have surged in recent weeks.

Whether it is actually a usable or viable vaccine is anyone's guess, but that's what they say anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

This BBC article goes into more depth regarding the first human trials. Whilst encouraging, and not trying to be a party pooper, the line that commanded my attention was "But even if these initial safety tests go well, it could still take up to 18 months for any potential vaccine to become available for the public."

There's a long way to go yet but it is pleasing to see such determination and will from scientists to fast-track a vaccine to beat this. Baby steps!

Edited by Onding
added link

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Oh no I've developed a cough over the last couple of hours. I'm hoping its just an asthmatic cough that I do sometimes get when seasons are changing (I am somewhat prone in Spring in particular) however if it carries on much longer I may be into self isolation. We will see!

Stress related Asthma most likely and the air is also fairly dry which doesn't help. So hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow with zero coughs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
11 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

In my day (mid-late 1970s) health anxiety wasn't caused by the Internet, but by reading Pear's Medical Encyclopaedia: you'd be surprised at just how many terminal illnesses are entirely asymptomatic...I was a nervous wreck!

I helped a Senior Surgical Registrar with an upper GI cancer audit.   I collated so much data on so many patients for this.  It really was depressing perusing all those notes and by the end of it every time I burped  I was convinced of the worst ....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder how many of us on here are devoloping symptoms that are worrying us.. On Saturday I had a general chill and sore throat appearing, last night my mom was getting a cough and aching all over, but feels a bit better today. Its a good job this virus doesnt spread online, otherwise we would all be buggered.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I was in the garden this afternoon and digging around in the soil and compost. I have an allegy to moulds and I was coughing after digging. Needless to say I was a bit worried but it subsided soon after. I think all of us anxious folk need to chill out a bit. As I have said before, exercise is the key for me and having cycled 16km today, done some gardening and walked the dog I'm ready for a good night's sleep.

Having said that, I keep waking at almost exactly 0330 and have great difficulty getting back off to sleep again due to clock watching, then I want to sleep as getting up time approaches. It doesn't happen on weekends so I'm baffled. I have late starts for the next three days so I'll see how it goes with a chance to stay in bed for a bit longer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Onding said:

This BBC article goes into more depth regarding the first human trials. Whilst encouraging, and not trying to be a party pooper, the line that commanded my attention was "But even if these initial safety tests go well, it could still take up to 18 months for any potential vaccine to become available for the public."

There's a long way to go yet but it is pleasing to see such determination and will from scientists to fast-track a vaccine to beat this. Baby steps!

Posted at the same time haha.

Yeh, most scientists say up to 18 months for these things, but I suspect they're covering themselves a bit. It'll probably be a fair bit quicker, but if they said it'll be ready in 6 months, and it wasnt, they'd be shot down and probably sued left right and centre! In these unprecedented times, I should imagine Autumn is doable, but very unlikely.....who knows. We cant compare it to other vaccines really, because nothing like this has happened with the current medical and scientific expertise the world currently has, so you'd be surprised what can be accomplished (if its deemed necessary)

• Like 3

Posted

Like when I was walking to work the number of coughs I noticed from the few people that were out. Normally it wouldn't get your attention.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Spikecollie said:

I was in the garden this afternoon and digging around in the soil and compost. I have an allegy to moulds and I was coughing after digging. Needless to say I was a bit worried but it subsided soon after. I think all of us anxious folk need to chill out a bit. As I have said before, exercise is the key for me and having cycled 16km today, done some gardening and walked the dog I'm ready for a good night's sleep.

Having said that, I keep waking at almost exactly 0330 and have great difficulty getting back off to sleep again due to clock watching, then I want to sleep as getting up time approaches. It doesn't happen on weekends so I'm baffled. I have late starts for the next three days so I'll see how it goes with a chance to stay in bed for a bit longer.

Spikecollie, you certainly don't need to worry, a 16km cycle shows your remarkably fit... I used to do 20 mile rides 6 days a week, coupled with weights 5 days a week up until my late 30s..I'm now 46, and do around 5 weights sessions a week and about an hour of cardio weekly, so I'm feeling pretty fit and ready for any attack... But mentally maybe not so much.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Like when I was walking to work the number of coughs I noticed from the few people that were out. Normally it wouldn't get your attention.

I'm always a bit wary of people who are obviously cold infected but never bother about an odd cough or sneeze. Now, I turn away immediately and wait for the culprit to depart!

Posted

Hopefully the virus by 18 months has mutated into a less virulent strain. It needs to survive and killing hosts isn't a good survival move so nature should make it less virulent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Donegal said:

I said hopefully they will not they will. I think it's just the country in question that is ahead that is triggering some. Sad. 

Bored of people's politics now, sorry. Simply pointing out there are several other vaccines out there, and on face value at least, USA is miles ahead of anyone. If facts are deemed as political, then I humbly apologise!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Spikecollie, you certainly don't need to worry, a 16km cycle shows your remarkably fit... I used to do 20 mile rides 6 days a week, coupled with weights 5 days a week up until my late 30s..I'm now 46, and do around 5 weights sessions a week and about an hour of cardio weekly, so I'm feeling pretty fit and ready for any attack... But mentally maybe not so much.

Yes, I'm pretty proud of my body for a 54 year old! I have used the hills around here as my "green gym" for running and cycling and they provide perfect interval training. I wasn't always like this but now I respect my body and love how it feels to be fit and healthy. No one knows though, what this affliction could do to them.

Keep up the good work for your body, our health and fitness is all we have got against this (as I keep saying) "thing that has come among us". Stocks of toilet paper won't hack it!

BTW: unlike two days go, OH reports that the local Sainsbury's was totally devoid of stock. Everything from meat and pasta to bog roll. He talked to a senior staff member who said it was crazy but that they restock every night just to be stripped again the next day. Where could all the meat be going? Have people bought extra freezers and put them in their garages? I think there is a lot of wastage going on and that is shameful...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Entire continent of Europe is now officially has Covid-19 now as Montenegro report it's first case. So not one European country have escaped this crisis.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/montenegro-reports-first-case-of-corona-virus-infection

Edited by pip22
  • Like 3