Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

1 minute ago, Joseph Hudson said:

any one think this might mean anything

I think it means closures are imminent. After all, he can't trot out that one-liner every day. The only change from here is escalation, both in schools and more widely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

WARNING - do not take the advice from "Stanford Hospital" seriously - it's fake:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/coronavirus-symptoms-stanford-tips-protection-pandemic-advice-a9399621.html

Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Spectrum News NY1

@NY1

3h

@nygovcuomo

says experts project the coronavirus outbreak in NY will peak in about 45 days. As many as 55,000-110,000 hospital beds and 18,600-37,200 ICU beds will be needed. There are currently 53,000 hospital beds in the state and 3,000 ICU beds.

Looks like they are in a worse state of readiness than us.

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

Remember er going to Lourdes.  One of the most tacky places I have been to. Get your luminous Virgin  Mary in one of the shops I saw. 

I hate that side of it . But the actual church setting is in a beautiful location with the river and mountains to the north of it .

I’m not religious myself . But I appreciate that pilgrims who come get a sense of peace and strength from visiting .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Zak M said:

She has a point . They have the same concerns as everyone else . Not sure that issue has been addressed properly in Europe or the USA.

• Like 2

Posted

@Dami you as her parent have the right to do whatever you believe is best for your child’s health and well-being. Personally I have removed my son (15yr old special ed needs) from school as of yesterday. I emailed the school with my reasons and that I would return him to school when I believed it was safe to do so. He will be doing GCSE revision online and they are welcome to send work home or via their online hub and I would ensure it was completed. Today, apparently several teachers are off and children who had symptoms were sent home.

I feel I’ve taken the right decision for his and my health. They cannot force you to take your child in, so long as they doing work at home, you have every right to remove her temporarily. Your health and your mental health are more important than missing a few weeks (or however long this takes) of schooling.

as others have said, they will eventually have to close the schools or the schools will have to themselves as they cannot effectively teach with many teachers off work self isolating, as it becomes a safe guarding issue.

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Spectrum News NY1

@NY1

3h

@nygovcuomo

says experts project the coronavirus outbreak in NY will peak in about 45 days. As many as 55,000-110,000 hospital beds and 18,600-37,200 ICU beds will be needed. There are currently 53,000 hospital beds in the state and 3,000 ICU beds.

Looks like they are in a worse state of readiness than us.

That is with a population of about 20 million as well and thats the sort of figures they are expecting, wow!

As you say, they (along with us to be fair) are really lacking in ICU beds, going to have to be a real concerted effort from all the health services to cope with this, otherwise those 3-4% CFR is actually probable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Donegal said:
26064254-0-image-a-35_1584437177765.jpg
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

EXCLUSIVE Kremlin-backed media has broadcast propaganda which states Covid-19, the new form of coronavirus, was created as a tool...

And I'd always thought COVID-19 was created by Donald Pleasence! But I guess it must have been the geniuses at MI6...helped by THRUSH?:crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

7730 cases in France and 175 deaths...another bad day.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Spikecollie said:

7730 cases in France and 175 deaths...another bad day.

27 extra deaths. At least we haven't seen a lurch upwards like Spain or Italy have done, but yeah that is now 6 countries officially reporting cases more than a 1,000 a day.

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Faulkner said:

If Macron can bail out French businesses then so can we.

Not that we will!

Hope you're not considering becoming a clairvoyant at some point in your life

• Like 6

Just now, Blazerblue said:
_111329280_crossingrex.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Many schools will not be able to stay open past the end of the week, says a head teachers' leader.

I guess most people obviously arent aware then, but I'd heard from several teachers at different schools, that the plan has always been to be ready to close for Friday this week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

M. Salomon, the Director of Health says: "Sur les 175 personnes décédées, 7% sont des personnes de moins de 65 ans". "Of the 175 people dead 7% are under 65"

Posted
25 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Its a balancing act really, one that is probably very difficult to strike, between economic factors and health issues, as well as just pure logistics.

I think we must now be getting very close to the point where many schools close purely because they cannot staff it anymore at a safe level, and once that arrives, I think school closures are inevitable anyway, whether its policy or not. 

They no doubt want to make it to Easter holidays, I think they might fall a little short though based on a quicker timetable.

If they close schools then it should be strongly made clear that parents, carers, etc will be expected to keep them indoors at home or will face fines if they're seen out with them.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, emax said:

I guess most people obviously arent aware then, but I'd heard from several teachers at different schools, that the plan has always been to be ready to close for Friday this week.

Same here, we already have packs ready to go to cover through to the easter period, but these next few days are going to be very difficult, and if the government tries to go much longer than that, I think many will just shut due to safeguarding.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Several universities across London have announced almost complete closures (only skeleton staff remaining) by the end of this week. Not sure about the situation across the UK but most probably following this now.

Schools next?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Hope you're not considering becoming a clairvoyant at some point in your life

Keep it up BB ! 

That was very funny . Bless you . 

• Like 1

typical us, nobody really bothers to translate the French 'quinze jours' correctly.  Media just googled it and found 'fifteen days' but of course it means' a fortnight'.  Same with the Spanish 'quince días' a while back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

What does this Russian situation mean - does this mean the cold war is going to rear its head again?

Posted
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I hate that side of it . But the actual church setting is in a beautiful location with the river and mountains to the north of it .

I’m not religious myself . But I appreciate that pilgrims who come get a sense of peace and strength from visiting .

I went to a school run by nuns when I was young.  Solely on the basis that the school had good reviews. We weren’t catholic. They were frequently coming round trying to get our very meagre pocket money for a poor unfortunate somewhere. I really thought we were buying one.

My father was very amused at a school fete when the Mother Superior came round with raffle tickets stuffed into straws.  Come on Mr Snipper penny a poke! 

• Like 1