Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, beatpete said:

4 youngests in ICU cork, all had taken ibuprofen, NHS Wales advice do not take.

According to the Irish health service it's fake.

WWW.HSE.IE

The HSE is advising anyone with Covid-19 to continue to take any medication you were already taking, unless you are told not to by a healthcare professional.  This includes anti-inflammatories (NSAID)...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

NHS England chief Simon Stevens

• 98,000 general and acute beds in the NHS
  • Current occupancy is 90% and falling
  • There are 3,700 critical care beds
  • 6,699 adult mechanical ventilators operational
  • 750 pediatric ventilators
  • 691 in the private sector
  • 35 in the MoD
  • Expecting 3,799 (ventilators) coming on line in next few weeks taking total to 11,974
Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

NHS representatives suggesting that there's enough protective equipment for the next few weeks but beyond that no - we need to increase domestic production.

Also acknowledged local distribution issues leading to shortages of protective equipment (as we heard yesterday).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Why shouldn’t they/we. Everyone has free will and choice.

I met up with a fellow parent with her 3 year old daughter to play with my son at the park today. Pleasant Spring day, fantastic community facility, been waiting all winter for a few dry days to get to the park!

Separate to us their were several grandparents there with their grandchildren happily playing. 

Exactly why it needs stricter measures. With the current 'advice' people will head out regardless. It is selfish of them, but who can blame them if they've not been strictly told?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

NHS representatives suggesting that there's enough protective equipment for the next few weeks but beyond that no - we need to increase domestic production.

Also acknowledged local distribution issues leading to shortages of protective equipment (as we heard yesterday).

It's frustrating that stock distribution wasn't already sorted weeks ago, we've had enough warning for this. Shambles.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
17 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Why shouldn’t they/we. Everyone has free will and choice.

I met up with a fellow parent with her 3 year old daughter to play with my son at the park today. Pleasant Spring day, fantastic community facility, been waiting all winter for a few dry days to get to the park!

Separate to us their were several grandparents there with their grandchildren happily playing. 

Just one reason they shouldn’t is (I will assume) that the grand parents are likely to be in the highest risk group age and that if their actions result in them being hospitalised someone else needing treatment may suffer unnecessarily.

Pure selfishness and/or ignorance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Does seem a bit of a strange difference, on face value. But...

Germany has approx 25,000 respiratory devices to assist, the most, by far, in Europe. Germany is seen as best equipped in Europe to manage severe cases within their hospitals.

Thing is though, you could have a million beds and respirators, but it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the number of people in ICU (at this early stage anyway). So Germany's numbers are either well out of date, they've got a miraculous cure that gets people out of ICU in a couple of days, or their population are way way more healthier. Most likely just figures not updated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 minutes ago, Dami said:

I just want the choice if my daughter goes in or not. Even if people don't agree with me.

As I have Ms and my husband has copd and heart trouble, sure I have to keep my kids home, otherwise me and hubby social distancing would be pointless. 

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Yes and he is hoping with the measures in place the total deaths could be below 20,000

They definately seem to have pivoted towards the surpression tactic, as that is what you'd expect a hard crackdown (it happened in China, just a few hints Italy maybe starting to see their growth slow as well)

The scary part I suppose is he is hopeful we can restrict it to 20,000 deaths...that is still a huge number!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

It's frustrating that stock distribution wasn't already sorted weeks ago, we've had enough warning for this. Shambles.

How do you know it wasnt? These things dont happen over night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
Just now, kold weather said:

They definately seem to have pivoted towards the surpression tactic, as that is what you'd expect a hard crackdown (it happened in China, just a few hints Italy maybe starting to see their growth slow as well)

The scary part I suppose is he is hopeful we can restrict it to 20,000 deaths...that is still a huge number!

Less than Hong Kong Flu though in 1968 (although it did come back in 1970/71), that kiilled about 33,000, and 4 million globally!

Posted
Just now, emax said:

How do you know it wasnt? These things dont happen over night!

Because they just mentioned it in the health select committee! Distribution issues leading to local shortages. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

NHS England has told hospitals to postpone all non-urgent elective operations from 15 April at the latest for a period of at least three months and urgently discharge all inpatients who are medically fit to leave

Source - Sky news

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm not saying we can or cant keep it to that number, but if we can, and thats presumably over 6 months or something, that isnt actually a huge number really. On average 300,000 people die every 6 months for perspective. Even if it was over a 1 month period, its big, but not out of this world shocking. 50,000 people die every month. Again, not saying his figures will be right or wrong, just commenting on those particular figures.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Does make you wonder how accurate it all is, though. France 400 in intensive care, Germany just 2 - but similar amount of active cases?

Gauloises?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I actually hope if things get to lock down then people do find some spirit and say play music or just generally communicate. Just so some people don't feel quite so lonely.  

• Like 1

Posted

My daughters school is closed to year 10 and 11 from tomorrow she is a head of department.  

I am in centre parc this week they are  closing down for 2 weeks on Friday

Edited by Snow Queen one

1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Looks like the official number of cases that have recovered as of Monday 9am are 52

Screenshot_20200317-153608.jpg

I'd be very surprised if thats accurate. They should really remove the number, or at least put something next to it stating its accuracy. I mean it "may" be correct, but with all the testing capacity we have, I doubt they're prioritising testing if people have officially recovered or not, certainly those who arent in hospital at least.

Posted
5 minutes ago, emax said:

I'm not saying we can or cant keep it to that number, but if we can, and thats presumably over 6 months or something, that isnt actually a huge number really. On average 300,000 people die every 6 months for perspective. Even if it was over a 1 month period, its big, but not out of this world shocking. 50,000 people die every month. Again, not saying his figures will be right or wrong, just commenting on those particular figures.

Would make Covid-19 3rd highest killer in an average year, behind Dementia/Alzheimer and heart disease. I do agree 20,000 isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be, but still a very significant contribution if that were to occur. 

Just now, kold weather said:

Would make Covid-19 3rd highest killer in an average year, behind Dementia/Alzheimer and heart disease. I do agree 20,000 isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be, but still a very significant contribution if that were to occur. 

Oh yeh, I'm not downplaying that significance, however, IF (big if) the 20,000 ends up being accurate, then that is still tiny in the grand scheme of things. Yes it would make it 3rd highest, but only in one average year, whereas dementia and heart disease would still be higher EVERY single year.

• Like 1