Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Looking to defo put in place an antibody test, for those who have had COVID-19, so further understand the virus, which will hopefully place us in a better pos if 2nd wave comes.

I want to take one of these. It would be useful if they rolled it out to those who were never tested for Covid to see who's had it and not shown symptoms/had extremely mild symptoms.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, BornFromTheVoid said:

Something positive, but in terms of tests per capita, not even top 10. Not awful stats, but could certainly be better. 

covid19-tests-per-million-people.png?v=6
OURWORLDINDATA.ORG

Most recent data available from official sources as of 13 March 2020 - 9.00GMT

Fair enough, but i'm listening to one of the scientists in charge of UK response, who once again is coming across as open, measured and quite calming, esp after yesterday evening's Imperial College paper. But, yes, take your point

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I want to take one of these. It would be useful if they rolled it out to those who were never tested for Covid to see who's had it and not shown symptoms/had extremely mild symptoms.

You could take a demographically representative sample. I still think they should involve the private sector to reduce the strain on the NHS.

Get them to do tests in the community and leave the NHS to test in hospital .

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

I still think they should involve the private sector to reduce the strain on the NHS.

Get them to do tests in the community and leave the NHS to test in hospital .

Exactly what Vallance has just said, Nick. You need to grab a place on 'Patrick's team'

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Is there any chart showing how many people are needing intensive care each day in the UK due to Covid19 ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Fair enough, but i'm listening to one of the scientists in charge of UK response, who once again is coming across as open, measured and quite calming, esp after yesterday evening's Imperial College paper. But, yes, take your point

To be fair, the data I posted is a few days old. Daily test numbers have increased a little since then, which would place us about 10th. That's without considering improvements in other countries though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I think this is getting very blurred now. Obviously the end game is removing the virus out of human circulation. But there are vast differences between mitigation and suppression, both obviously want the same end game. Just one is literally aiming to take a couple of months and one will probably take as long as it takes to make a vaccine.
Not surprise to see most countries trying to suppress the outbreaks at the moment, that isn’t to say that the mitigation idea won’t be revisited later on once we process more information on this virus.

The reality is that no-one’s health system is capable of coping with this, so even mitigating it is needing virtually the same countermeasures as suppression. 

Surprisingly enough, it turns out that the ‘information’ out of China may have understated some key parameters of the epidemic. Not too difficult to ascertain earlier imho given observations of the clearly faked and underreported data, and the actions they took on the ground which they couldn’t hide.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Exactly what Vallance has just said, Nick. You need to grab a place on 'Patrick's team'

I’m too gobby and would go off message ! And likely get fired ! But I’m really happy to see this move with the private sector.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
2 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I agree with this. They should also mobilise same to continue track and trace. It’s preposterous to abandon that because a central function couldn’t cope in terms of capacity

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
11 minutes ago, Tamara said:

I have started skim reading the Coronavirus thread and reading factual/information based posts rather than reading each post. It is of course extremely worrying for all of us and I have had plenty of my own bad patches like most. But too many posts are apocalyptic in nature and the need for some self preservation is urgent.

Thank you @Tamara - if only everybody on this forum was a sensible as you.  Great post ??

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

To be fair, the data I posted is a few days old. Daily test numbers have increased a little since then, which would place us about 10th. That's without considering improvements in other countries though.

I suspect other countries who have had severe uptick in last few days, would have seen a large uptick in cases tested (obvious statement i know). Just think our testing numbers arent as bad as some in the media are saying.

He has just gone on to the school closure issue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
5 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Trump calling it the Chinese virus again. It originated in China due to their horrible wet markets and I would blame the Chinese government for this because they reopened these wet markets 4 months after SARS. Thus endangering the world to this possible scenario we see before us . 

However its extremely dangerous to refer to it as the Chinese virus and the WHO explicitly choose COVID-19 to be nondescript, and that was exactly the point when the WHO revealed it to guard against stigmatization of the place from which it originated. 

So from playing it down constantly to be greatly under control, flu is worse, a hoax etc now that he admits its a problem and can't attack his way out of it and pretend it's fake he still has to play the blame game. Hence calling it the Chinese virus. He's a pig. I feel desperately sorry for Asians who will suffer racist attacks because of this because it will certainly increase in the US after this.  Is it Trumps fault that Asian people were racially abused up to this point? Absolutely not. But going forward it may well be his fault, he's opened himself up to that. 

But ‘Spanish Flu’ and ‘German Measles’ are ok? 

Edited by Beanz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, Donegal said:

Just spoke with my Friend from close to Mulhouse. He said the hospital is over run and a Doctor on local TV said if they don't get help they'll have to choose who save in 24 hours time. Getting more desperate by the minute there. 

The USA already talking about being a matter of days away from the kind of 'Triage' we read about in Italy?

If we do find that we have run headlong into the pandemic here in the UK then we will be close behind?

In 2 weeks time the numbers of folk sick/isolated will tell their own tale?

I just hope there are enough drivers still able to work as things would get plenty 'ify' if not?

What is it with the ruling Elite in the UK and their reliance upon the "Short, sharp, shock" approach to everything?

Do they have no patience and need everything 'right Now!' (or I'll scweam and scweam until I'm sick!!!)???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

New cases could start to fall in two to three weeks

Yes and he is hoping with the measures in place the total deaths could be below 20,000

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Seems very sensible. If they are routine then fine. Main concern though is the limited respiratory equipment - in fact, that issue is huge.

• Like 1

Posted

407 new cases in UK says NHS England 

1950 confirmed cases

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 3

Guest Delete Me

As of 9am on 17 March 2020, 50,442 people have been tested in the UK, of which 48,492 were confirmed negative and 1,950 were confirmed as positive.

The latest confirmed number of deaths will be announced later today.

Posted

Church of England are saying that church services must be stopped. I don't have a source but my OH has been emailed... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Beanz said:

But ‘Spanish Flu’ is ok? 

Different situations, but neither is really ok.

During WWI propaganda efforts on both sides meant suppressing news of the pandemic in order to boost moral and such. Spain was neutral, and thus reported freely on the crippling effects of the virus. When this news spread, it seemed as though the virus was primarily affecting Spain, hence it was termed the "Spanish Flu", which clearly stuck.

COVID-19 has an official name. To call it something else for political purposes doesn't help.

• Like 8

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

New cases could start to fall in two to three weeks

So we'll know if the tactic is being effective before long.

Though a bit surprising, as I thought they were previously going for a peak in May?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

6,337 tests in the 24hrs to 9am total 50,442 with 48,492 negative

407 new cases total 1,950 positive

• Like 2